[BBC News] Marshals are sought for Manx GP

Newsbot

If a lowly marshall gets killed whilst performing his or her voluntary duties, does their family receive a compensation payout and if so how much? And what about for serious injuries? After all, it would be very irresponsible to volunteer if that wasn't the case.

I think for last few years about 1 marshall is killed or seriously injured every other year on average - I'd also suggest that they double check their personal insurance policies as some exclude injuries etc whilst taking part in dangerous sports though I think there is group policy that covers the TT etc (but I have no details of the payouts)

In the last 25 years

Killed one police officer

One Marshall

Injured two marshalls at 26th

One Marshall heart attack prior to start

One marshall had a fall

one marshall slight burns

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i thought a marshall had a heart attack in glen helen about 10 -12 years ago actually during a race while dealing with an incident?? but it was definitely during race, not before it all started. not sure if it was a fatal either.

If a lowly marshall gets killed whilst performing his or her voluntary duties, does their family receive a compensation payout and if so how much? And what about for serious injuries? After all, it would be very irresponsible to volunteer if that wasn't the case.

I think for last few years about 1 marshall is killed or seriously injured every other year on average - I'd also suggest that they double check their personal insurance policies as some exclude injuries etc whilst taking part in dangerous sports though I think there is group policy that covers the TT etc (but I have no details of the payouts)

In the last 25 years

One Marshall

One marshall had a fall

Information is not correct. I was a marshall for many years and was injured with in the last 25 Years but is not listed here so the numbers you quote are incorrect.

An insurance policy is held on all marshalls for death or injury and in my case payed out for some time until I was able to return to work. It does not pay a lot but is over and above sickness pay from work, If i remember correctly it payed £100.

00 per week or so. and this is back in the 90's so will be better now.

In the last 25 years

One Marshall

One marshall had a fall

Information is not correct. I was a marshall for many years and was injured with in the last 25 Years but is not listed here so the numbers you quote are incorrect.

An insurance policy is held on all marshalls for death or injury and in my case payed out for some time until I was able to return to work. It does not pay a lot but is over and above sickness pay from work, If i remember correctly it payed £100.

00 per week or so. and this is back in the 90's so will be better now.

What Id posted was what I was told by our sector Marshal so it may not be up to date or have been reported, Other accidents have occured but not always race related.

Riders are also covered by insurance and quitt a few take out additional insurance with American Combined which pays out well if in Hospital ( think its 130/160 per night) plus loss of limbs etc

What Id posted was what I was told by our sector Marshal so it may not be up to date or have been reported, Other accidents have occured but not always race related.

Riders are also covered by insurance and quitt a few take out additional insurance with American Combined which pays out well if in Hospital ( think its 130/160 per night) plus loss of limbs etc

Lee, your credibility is shot once again, why bother?

Lee, your credibility is shot once again, why bother?

And you should know the feeling.

As I said not all accidents are reported and recorded.

I sympathise with Lee54 - debating with TT fans is as bad as arguing with Mormons - however I'm sure H&S would appreciate that not all accidents are reported especially those that result in a payout on the groups insurance policy

The fact is, fewer people these days volunteer for anything. For example a once thriving St John Ambulance, now only has about 30 members.

Gosh, is that all? I would have thought there was a few hundred members at least over here... is that including the bigwigs?

Meme

Archived