Villa Marina - Who Is It For?

Alex

I’m not sure who is responsible on a ministerial level, but the guy who ran the place for the first few years at least was a complete twat in my opinion, I assume it will be the same bloke, who would give up a stupidly paid job that you do naff all in. He drinks in the Manor, or he did a few years back, if any one wants to have a word in private.

How can they justify £4K for one room when the Government are only charging £5K for Nobles park for the whole Bay Festival?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Villa Marina is apparently up for no negotiation, and will charge extra £££ if either of the bands want to have a small stall selling their CDs/t-shirts etc.

Yes we've been told before that if we want to sell any cds, t shirts badges etc we'd be charged a flat fee. Utterly disgraceful attitude towards a local, unsigned band. I'm not trying to play the violin poor local bands card, but as Declan said, this place was re furbished to provide an arts facility for the island and they're rodding the artists at every angle.

I always thought the hire of the hall was around £2K so to see it's closer to £4K is fucking absurd. Especially for an event which is helping two people that the DTL's precious TT nearly killed.

Surely this £4K should be lowered since the event organisors are bringing in their own sound and lighting guys!

Who gets the extra cash if they're not being paid. Infact, working for the gov. they'll be on a set wage I'd have thought so where does the money go to?

When the enquirers have finished rodding the steampacket they should move onto the DTL. It's like the Manx Enron with these robbing bastards.

The charity aspect is a bit of a red herring. The Villa is supposed to be the Island's National Arts Centre - an NSC in leggings, but this sort of fee prices out all but guarenteed sellouts. They went to Tynwald for money to do it up on the basis that it would do for the arts what the NSC has done for sports and have patently ignored that committment.

I agree, but that would require greater subsidisation which of course would increase the loss (of public money) that the VM makes. That then raises the question of what shows to support. Would you reduce the standard hire fee for all events to promote the arts, or just for some shows? You could even underwrite the organiser's losses. But then which events do you support?

Who's the relevant MHK ? Or is it just a Corporation scenario ?

It's DTL. The responsible member is Geoff Corkish.

yes, but surely there are quite significant costs associated in putting on any event.

Security staff,Bar Staff, cloak room attendents etc - i.e. would have to be paid whatever the event

Heat / light / Power

I think once you start to add everything up £4,000 is probably not far wide of the mark...

6 hours work for everyone at least, and say there's 30 staff total running the place at average £15 p.h. that's £2,700 already just in wages...

Assuming all the staff are supplied, and want paying.

There is no reason the organisers cant supply there own security and cloak room attendants, I assume the Villa wouldn't be happy about them supplying staff but if the Villa's own bar staff agree to work for free. Even if bar staff are supplied and paid their wages would be covered by drink sales.

I would have thought though that a venue could be found for a lot less, it may not have the "grandeur" of the Villa but what about the Masonic hall as previously suggested, or, well Ok I can only think of that one place but there must be more around Douglas

Wouldn't they be on a set wage though, which I agree would come from a pot that profits from VM go into, but that shouldn't depend on event by event basis. There should be enough in the pot to allow for events like this to be subsidised.

I do think the rental costs of the room are a bit much, taking into account the prices the bar is renowned for charging, you'd think on a packed night they'd make between 3 and 4K in booze. On a sold out night of 1,600 if everyone bought 1 pint of carling each, at around £3.50 each (which I'm sure it's more than that) They've sold £5,600 worth of booze. That's over £10K if everyone only have 2 drinks all night.

I always thought the hire of the hall was around £2K so to see it's closer to £4K is fucking absurd. Especially for an event which is helping two people that the DTL's precious TT nearly killed.

No one made them go in the TT? Everyone knows the dangers when they enter into it - it's the nature of the beast - people crash.

I don't see why this event should get the facilities at a discount at all.

Agreed.

Therein lies the problem with subsidising charity events - not everyone will agree on what charities are worthy of support.

But is this event actually for a registered charity? Funds may have been collected and donated in a charitable way but I do not think a Charity has actually been set up to help the two individuals. I think if the fund raising is to continue that would be a good idea.

No one made them go in the TT? Everyone knows the dangers when they enter into it - it's the nature of the beast - people crash.

Oh I know that. And agree with you. I probably worded it completely wrong. I have a small issue that they use the VM as the hub of TT entertainment and events for all the good things and seem to brush the crashes and post festival events under the carpet.

It would be nice if they were as ensthusiastic about issues like this as they were for the event itself.

Anyway if £4K has to be forked out for the event then both bands will give you £400K worth of performance. So go buy tickets now and if you're not up for supporting the cause then enjoy the music.

But is this event actually for a registered charity? Funds may have been collected and donated in a charitable way but I do not think a Charity has actually been set up to help the two individuals. I think if the fund raising is to continue that would be a good idea.

That's an interesting point, but even if it was a bona fide charity the Villa Marina should still charge it full price. Otherwise we would all effectively be being forced to contribute to a cause by stealth that we may have no intention of so doing, a cause that we may feel is unjust. And £4k is cheap for a venue like the Villa.

That's an interesting point, but even if it was a bona fide charity the Villa Marina should still charge it full price. Otherwise we would all effectively be being forced to contribute to a cause by stealth that we may have no intention of so doing, a cause that we may feel is unjust. And £4k is cheap for a venue like the Villa.

Oh god I need a lie down....I kinda find myself agreeing with KB!

Archived