Villa Marina - Who Is It For?

Alex

But we're helping injured mates.. not riders.

I've given to injured rider funds whether cash, prints for auction or gigs many times... and I'll be damn if I'm going to continue explaining to you why a group of mates want to help their injured mates.

Personally I think you come across as a bell end...

SO WHAT YOUR SAYING IS THAT IF YOU DONT AGREE OR SUPPORT THE FUND YOUR A BELL END.

GREAT PUBLICITY, PUT THAT ON THE POSTERS

Over the years lots of riders have had money raised for them, by friends, fans and supporters,sponsors.

One of them nearly had his life support system swithed off if he had not been flown to Walton hospital privately!

and i think one of your bloody riders had some fund raising done a few years ago so cut the crap Knob Head :angry:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee 54

You posted the ACU public liability insurance details.

Ten seconds of Google will demonstrate that its purpose is to protect members of the public from the actions of the race organisers and participants.

Without it, no motorcycle racing can proceed. What it does NOT do is pay out to the competitors if they are injured.

As you yourself have already pointed out in this thread, the ACU has a charity designed for that purpose and which is entirely dependent on donations.

As for the fact that that there's a plan to keep news stories about injuries quiet in case "it looks bad" for the TT - dead right, IMHO.

And if the public had to choose between spending cash - theirs or NHS - on children who need urgent care and riders who have hurt themselves, I think you're also right. No contest.

And the FACT remains that there is no official support for injured riders and their families, and they are utterly dependent on the generosity of fans, friends and family, which is morally wrong - IMHO.

However, establishing such a fund might be seen as an admission of liability, and I bet the ACU's insuirance company has advised against THAT.

There's nothing wrong with activities which support injured riders, but there IS something wrong when the organisation which profits from the competitors' participation does nothing.

I've given to injured rider funds whether cash, prints for auction or gigs many times... and I'll be damn if I'm going to continue explaining to you why a group of mates want to help their injured mates.

SO WHAT YOUR SAYING IS THAT IF YOU DONT AGREE OR SUPPORT THE FUND YOUR A BELL END.

Over the years lots of riders have had money raised for them, by friends, fans and supporters,sponsors.

One of them nearly had his life support system swithed off if he had not been flown to Walton hospital privately!

and i think one of your bloody riders had some fund raising done a few years ago so cut the crap Knob Head :angry:

None of my riders have benefited from any fund raising. After the loss of one of the riders we held a gig to celebrate his life down in Northampton which was a one off and attended by members of the racing community. Not knowing what to do with the bikes that were bought by sponsors and members of his local social club, it was then decided to hold a raffle for the bikes, this raised many £1000s. The money raised was split evenly between the Injured riders fund and the IOM childrens Centre.

Another rider who had lost limbs at the TT held a similar event in London all the proceeds raised was split evenly between the Injured riders fund and the Limbless society.

All the help needed by the families of both riders was provided for by those than run the TT and TTRA and was first class.

As to the rider that had to be flown off the Island you may find that it was an American rider, and the money raised was to fly him from the UK to the USA .

I am not aware of any rider that has been let down by the Organization that run the TT

None of my riders have benefited from any fund raising. After the loss of one of the riders we held a gig to celebrate his life down in Northampton which was a one off and attended by members of the racing community. Not knowing what to do with the bikes that were bought by sponsors and members of his local social club, it was then decided to hold a raffle for the bikes, this raised many £1000s. The money raised was split evenly between the Injured riders fund and the IOM childrens Centre.

Another rider who had lost limbs at the TT held a similar event in London all the proceeds raised was split evenly between the Injured riders fund and the Limbless society.

All the help needed by the families of both riders was provided for by those than run the TT and TTRA and was first class.

As to the rider that had to be flown off the Island you may find that it was an American rider, and the money raised was to fly him from the UK to the USA .

I am not aware of any rider that has been let down by the Organization that run the TT

The american rider was flown to liverpool by private air ambulance and was treated at walton by consultant nuerosurgeon mr Hannah and it was paid for by supporters and friends, a lot of the money raised by holding events at the Grand Island, the Viking hotel and the talk of the town. His contract with the works team he was riding for finished the day he crashed.

Another rider that tragiclly died the same year was cremated over here and his ashes were laid at Guthries memorial.as his family could not afford to fly his body to the other side of the world :angry:

THAT IS FACT AS I ORGANISED THE VENUES AND THE BANDS THAT PLAYED -ALL FOR NOTHING

s

The american rider was flown to liverpool by private air ambulance and was treated at walton by consultant nuerosurgeon mr Hannah and it was paid for by supporters and friends, a lot of the money raised by holding events at the Grand Island, the Viking hotel and the talk of the town. His contract with the works team he was riding for finished the day he crashed.

Another rider that tragiclly died the same year was cremated over here and his ashes were laid at Guthries memorial.as his family could not afford to fly his body to the other side of the world :angry:WHO AND WHAT YEAR

THAT IS FACT AS I ORGANISED THE VENUES AND THE BANDS THAT PLAYED -ALL FOR NOTHING

s

I find this very hard to believe as all riders have to produce valid insurance that covers repatriation before they can compete at the TT or MGP

Page 113 on

http://www.acu.org.uk/uploaded/documents/A...NDBOOK_2009.pdf

Another rider that tragiclly died the same year was cremated over here and his ashes were laid at Guthries memorial.as his family could not afford to fly his body to the other side of the world :angry:

s

I call bullshit. My friend who died in the TT got flown to the other side of the world and it was all paid for by the TT - which bit I don't know but the family paid nothing.

Joakim Karlson

Wasn't he the one who was left festering in that poor family's garden for ages while the practice session continued?

He wasn't left festering as you put it. It was a case of logistics regarding the safe removal of his body during the racing.

And I am friends with that couple who's garden he lay in, and after this incident we set up a charity for safety improvements.

Further, the Iceman Trophy was set up http://www.icemantrophy.com/ in memory of Joakim and I am one of the funds contributors for the awards that are given out each year.

There are many fundraising activities going on all of the time, and the one simple rule is - If you don't agree, then don't donate - Simple as !!!

There are many fundraising activities going on all of the time, and the one simple rule is - If you don't agree, then don't donate - Simple as !!!

It would have to be simple in your case. However, I steer clear of anything to do with Isle of Man road racing. I know you are perfectly happy for the deaths and horrific injuries to continue, but I'm not really comfortable with it and don't wish to be associated with it.

s

I call bullshit. My friend who died in the TT got flown to the other side of the world and it was all paid for by the TT - which bit I don't know but the family paid nothing.

I remember hearing something about this but the way I heard it it was the families wish that he be scattered at Guthries as the TT was his life and its what he wanted.

It would have to be simple in your case. However, I steer clear of anything to do with Isle of Man road racing. I know you are perfectly happy for the deaths and horrific injuries to continue, but I'm not really comfortable with it and don't wish to be associated with it.

And your choice is respected keyboarder, as should mine be.

However, it's not the death and injury that I follow, but the racing in general. I'm not happy as you say with all the death and injury, and have taken steps personally to help change this side of the sport.

I'm not happy as you say with all the death and injury, and have taken steps personally to help change this side of the sport.

Well I don't know what those steps to which you refer are. However, you campaign for charities that road racing on the island relies on for it's very existence. Therefore it follows that you are complicit in the death and injury incurred within those races. Unlike me, who isn't. So my choice is slightly more worthy of respect than your's. In my opinion of course.

I'm not happy as you say with all the death and injury, and have taken steps personally to help change this side of the sport.

Well I don't know what those steps to which you refer are. However, you campaign for charities that road racing on the island relies on for it's very existence. Therefore it follows that you are complicit in the death and injury incurred within those races. Unlike me, who isn't. So my choice is slightly more worthy of respect than your's. In my opinion of course.

I agree that if the racing was stopped, then so would the death and injury.

However, the argument then is who has the right to stop it, and who would benefit from it's non existence ??

It is a no win situation, but one thing for sure, and that is that nobody actually wants the accidents to occur, and I would like to think that one day there could be a way of hosting road racing with the safety of short circuits.

The charities by the way are the "Rob Vine Fund" the "MGP Supporters Club - Helicopter Fund" and a charity since dissolved that assisted in the provision of funds for course safety equipment (Air fencing).

Archived