In The Heather

Mallaby106

I've took my dog on many walks and if he goes in the heather thats up to him. Not sure if thats supposed to be a joke or not?

Great photos and a happy looking dog (Manchester bull terrier?)

The heather is magnificent at the moment. With so much heather is there a really big opportunity for a Manx Heather Honey industry run on a scale for export - very natural and healthy product with ptentially a great branding opportunity (think of Manuka honey and the amount of NZ honey on sale here).

I am not an apiarist but just wonder.

there's only one trouble with heather honey, it's impossible to extract with the usual centrifugal extractor, it's so thick jelly-like stuff you have to press it out of the combs with a screw-jack sort of arrangement, wrecking it for re-use needing a new sheet of wax foundation fitting in the frame. It's so solid a honey that when a jar has been in a show competition and a sample has been taken out of it you can see the shape of the spoon a year later !.

nice idea though, until someone sets fire to the heather for next year :(

there's only one trouble with heather honey, it's impossible to extract with the usual centrifugal extractor, it's so thick jelly-like stuff you have to press it out of the combs with a screw-jack sort of arrangement, wrecking it for re-use needing a new sheet of wax foundation fitting in the frame.

Chance for a Manx invention!

You got me looking on the web. Pure heather honey seems to command a real premium price (maybe because of the extraction). I do recall seeing Rick Stein sampling some in Scotland fresh from the hive. Looked wonderful.

Archived