Another Offshore Tax Haven

bluemonday

Good luck to them is what I say.

Everywhere and everyone has a different perspective on where or who they like and I'm no different to them either.

There's parts of the IOM that in my opinion is a bigger and nicer place for me to see than if I went over there, but then I haven't been and have only heresay and the odd glimpses in magazines or various forums etc.

I'm sure that people over there would say the same about Guernsey as I do here and If any Guernsey resident would like me to compare the two, then you can always invite me over and I'll write an impartial account of my stay or who cares, I'd like to visit anyhow. :)

Well, I do like to get off the island now and again to visit different places, especially shopping malls etc and also to appreciate the views.

So again, i say, good luck to them and to us also

Enjoy what you can while you can and don't leave it too late.

:)

Little crime, fast cars and your bin emptied twice a week

Clicky

No mention of white dog poo..........

From the article:-

Mr Gallienne blames the Germans for, among other things, the demise of Dgèrnésiais. Unlike him, most children were evacuated and returned, five years later, monolingual.

Now only 2 per cent of islanders speak it. “We are desperate that it doesn’t disappear. If you lose your language, you lose your identity, your roots have all gone. Also, we are unique in the world — we have to retain that! We are not English!”

Little crime, fast cars and your bin emptied twice a week

Clicky

No mention of white dog poo..........

The article certainly makes them sound a whole lot more sophisticated than our "hell aye yessir, we've got the TT" brigade

Fast cars going slow, jealous of their neighbours, making films about invasions by the Germans....sounds a pale and tardy imitation of Castletown - and we have Callow's Yard so what's all that about sophistication.

When you are drunk sophisticated is how you feel but are unable to pronounce.

I lived in Guernsey for 5 years and believe me that is not the real picture.

The bins are emptied once every two weeks weren't any wheely bins everybody left bin bags by the roadside - which were invariably ripped to shreds by the gulls, cats, vermin - so there would usually be debris left behind,. There are few main drains so the sewage is removed from your garden every week by a truck quite often leaving a trail of sewage as it departs - the smell is horrendous. The crime is rate is on average higher than here. House prices are hugely more expensive - and for inferior properties. If you see a garage in Guernsey then you can almost always guarantee that on the inside it will have half of it reclaimed for living space as most of the houses are very small. Food is expensive, M&S adds 5% to the bill to cover shipping charges.

It is only 4 miles by 6 miles and has less to do at the weekend than here - no real green walks, rivers, glens and few trees. Most roads are single track, you can spend as much time going backwards as forwards to allow for cars coming in the other direction. Everybody seems to have 2 cars so road are always gridlocked at peak times - it could sometimes take 35 mins for what should take 2.

On the upside some good restaurants and pubs. The weather is similar to here - perhaps add a couple of degrees to the temperature - but it is as wet and foggy as it is here.

Interesting. Given the small size, high average income and the high population density one would have thought that the utilities would be absolutely first rate.

Just looking, the population density is 5.5 times higher there, and Jersey is only marginally better. We are ranked 80th in terms of population density whilst Guernsey is 12th and Jersey 13th. UK is 52nd.

The bins are emptied once every two weeks weren't any wheely bins everybody left bin bags by the roadside - which were invariably ripped to shreds by the gulls, cats, vermin - so there would usually be debris left behind,. There are few main drains so the sewage is removed from your garden every week by a truck quite often leaving a trail of sewage as it departs - the smell is horrendous. The crime is rate is on average higher than here. House prices are hugely more expensive - and for inferior properties. If you see a garage in Guernsey then you can almost always guarantee that on the inside it will have half of it reclaimed for living space as most of the houses are very small. Food is expensive, M&S adds 5% to the bill to cover shipping charges.

It is only 4 miles by 6 miles and has less to do at the weekend than here - no real green walks, rivers, glens and few trees. Most roads are single track, you can spend as much time going backwards as forwards to allow for cars coming in the other direction. Everybody seems to have 2 cars so road are always gridlocked at peak times - it could sometimes take 35 mins for what should take 2.

On the upside some good restaurants and pubs. The weather is similar to here - perhaps add a couple of degrees to the temperature - but it is as wet and foggy as it is here.

Is there a health service like the MHS (or the UK NHS)?

No Health Service - pay for all dental and medical bills...

Incidentally - the monthly rental bill I paid for a modest 2 bed, 2 reception room with a study 'crafted' out of the back of the garage was GBP2,500!!!

Interesting. Given the small size, high average income and the high population density one would have thought that the utilities would be absolutely first rate.

Just looking, the population density is 5.5 times higher there, and Jersey is only marginally better. We are ranked 80th in terms of population density whilst Guernsey is 12th and Jersey 13th. UK is 52nd.

UK may be 52nd, but try England. Excluding small islands and city states, it's No. 4.

S

UK may be 52nd, but try England. Excluding small islands and city states, it's No. 4.

S

Nice ons Sebrof, where did you find out those stats if you don't mind me asking?

Personally, I love statistics 87.63% of the time :)

Archived