Tesco Pre-inquiry Next Month

Albert Tatlock

I think maybe it's a gender thing. I know women who go positively orgasmic at the thought of a visit to the Trafford Centre.

I can understand maybe enjoying going to one or two shops that you really like and which sell things that you're actually interested in owning, and having a pub lunch or a bite to eat at a pictureque café... but a shopping mall? People enjoy trudging around these linolium tiled cathedrals of slack jawed consumerism, pissing away the hours by staring blankly at unremarkable, moderately priced bric-a-brac for no good reason other than it happens to be for sale, and pausing only to sit in what looks like an open prison for hyperactive children in order to chomp down a bun which someone with a cruel sense of humour has filled with mystery meat-like produce of questionable vintage?

If an animal started exhibiting bizarre, repetitive behaviour like that, it would be put down on the grounds that it had clearly gone mental.

I think maybe it's a gender thing. I know women who go positively orgasmic at the thought of a visit to the Trafford Centre.

To me it's living Hell

This woman would agree with you. My first experience of the Trafford Centre was a visit en route to a holiday with a group of families last winter. Pretty impressive, but not really my cup of tea: too big, too noisy and there was nothing I wanted to buy. Unlike most of the others, I was not like a released tiger that had been caged for years, it left me cold. I would much rather mooch around a market or side street shops if I was shopping as a pastime.

But, I have to say, food shopping has a different effect for me, drop me into a huge supermarket and I love it. Love the choice, things I had never thought of eating and then the side lines. We lived in the SE of England for a very long time and the only thing I really miss on a day to day basis is the choice of really huge supermarkets. You know, this week we need to shop at an ASDA, want to do the staple shopping, so which Tesco, want to get some treats so where is the nearest Sainsbury or Waitrose? Or, not a penny left, so where is the nearest ALDI/LIDL? (Morden, as it happens.)

But, I have to say, food shopping has a different effect for me, drop me into a huge supermarket and I love it. Love the choice, things I had never thought of eating and then the side lines. We lived in the SE of England for a very long time and the only thing I really miss on a day to day basis is the choice of really huge supermarkets. You know, this week we need to shop at an ASDA, want to do the staple shopping, so which Tesco, want to get some treats so where is the nearest Sainsbury or Waitrose? Or, not a penny left, so where is the nearest ALDI/LIDL? (Morden, as it happens.)

Have to say that I enjoy some supermarkets, but not the big anonymous ones. Reckon Booths do a good job of not being very big but are stacked with interesting food items. Then I remember them as a youngster too - a true grocers with a marble counter and staff in white pinafores making up orders to be sent out with the 'delivery boys' - and that indefinable aroma of a grocer's shop a mix of tea, coffee, freshly baked ham and cheddar mingling in the air.

I did enjoy one shopping centre, a place called Arkadia in Warsaw. Close to transport, warm on freezing days, very high end architecture, some interesting shops and very good cafes with strong coffee and small cakes, but most of all the people watching - seeing the older folk who had been brought up under Communism seeing capitalism at is best and worst and the younger generation just enjoying materialism.

I still wonder with Strand Street whether it would be possible to roof it in to make an all-year comfortable retailing area - IMO much better use of money than things the Government have thrown away taxpayers cash on. In part retail competition is about creating places where people want to go and spend time rather than just diving in and out as quickly as possible because the experience of wind, rain and low temperatures is horrible.

Another supermarket opening eh! I dont like supermarket meat "in my opinion" it is not fit for purpose....... it is as tough as old boots....................

I hate supermarket meat its official !!! if you are a supermarket please take your meat off the shelves forever!!! Stick to selling daz and the like.................

Archived