[bcs] The History Of Linux

Owen

Just a heads up that this Thursday (27th) the BCS will be holding a talk on the History of Linux. It's down at the Claremont in Douglas with doors opening at 18:00 for an 18:30 start.

Should be a good talk, so if its something you're interested in, come join us, it's open to all.

More information down on the BCS website: http://www.bcs.org.im/index.php/2009/08/th...story-of-linux/

@philwebs: I guess it depends on what you find fun and what you find boring. My wife would probably fall asleep before it even started, but I'm keen. I know Dylan's (the speaker) put quite a bit of effort into it, so I'm actually looking forward to it.

Here's what the talk is about:

Looking back from the pre-history of Linux, and the events that would lead up to the first public announcement of the Linux kernel in 1991, up until the present day – the events that shaped this operating system, and how it would develop. Linux is the first major and undoubtedly most prominent success of the “internet bazaar” style of collaboration and development. Many notable accidents of computing history have made Linux possible – from AT&T’s policies in the 1980s over Unix that resulted in the birth of the Free Software Foundation, as well as one of Britain’s least successful personal computers. Along the way, Linux has garnered criticism from academics and praise from corporations, to attempts at destruction from some corporations, and adoption by academics. Today, Linux is still an ongoing project – like many major efforts in software, development is a never ending task with new concepts being applied in areas thought to be mundane and settled, such as the filesystem and scheduler. To understand why Linux is where it is today, the talk will cover the history and events surrounding this operating system, from the pre-history of 1969 up to the present day.

Actually I would have thought it's right up your street ;)

Hi Owen,

I probably wont be there as I think I would fall asleep (preaching to the choir for me).

As regards "one of Britain’s least successful personal computers" I still have its predecessor (much better than a VIC 20) and I started with the earlier (black) version which regrettably I no longer have.

If Dylan ever wants to give a tutorial on OpenBSD or such like I would be there. OpenBSD still bugs me and despite RTFM I have not got it installed.

Phil

Hi Steve,

I have tried installing OpenBSD twice now, about 4 years ago and 2 years ago (I know there is a live version, just not got round to playing with that)

Problem from memory was:

a) Partitioning. Seem to recall it wanted four partitions of a particular size. Think I was using fdisk or equivalent, and eventually got there (perhaps).

b) After partitioning it wanted something doing (I had the manual open on a different machine) and whatever that was I could not do it.

For me OpenBSD is not a suitable system as I am a desktop type user. As it exists and has a formidable security reputation I wanted to give it a go. When I am in the mood and have improved my knowledge I may give it another spin.

Phil

a) Partitioning. Seem to recall it wanted four partitions of a particular size. Think I was using fdisk or equivalent, and eventually got there (perhaps).

b) After partitioning it wanted something doing (I had the manual open on a different machine) and whatever that was I could not do it.

For me OpenBSD is not a suitable system as I am a desktop type user. As it exists and has a formidable security reputation I wanted to give it a go. When I am in the mood and have improved my knowledge I may give it another spin.

Phil

IIRC it would want the standard boot, root, usr & swap partitions, boot & root would have certain minimum sizes. Would probably also need to select the filesystem type for each partition, define any boot parameters and set up the networking. After that it should just go.

As a webserver environment it is superb. Security is excellent, and I ran one for years without having to worry about keeping up to date with patches etc. As a desktop I wouldn't bother, a commoditised Linux Debian derivative (Ubuntu etc.) is a better bet, or Fedora, where the majority of apps have already been packaged nicely ready to install.

Hi Steve,

One day I will get OpenBSD to work. I know its not a general purpose distribution. However, I am curious to play with it. I like to look at different systems. You always learn new things and see other peoples ideas, good and bad.

I currently have PCLinuxOS on my main box, and temporarily Mint on the play machine.

Ubuntu does not gel with me. It is the top international and manx distribution (1 Circular Road). The sudo/no root user is an irritant. I have read the arguments for and against, but I prefer the traditional way. Had an issue with Hardy a while ago.

Not that fond of gnome, or their KDE default setup.

Fedora does not agree with my main box. Doesnt like my monitor and runs very slowly. Runs with errors on my play machine. Centos runs exceptionally well though, meant to be the same code base. (alternative to OpenBSD?).

I used to like Suse until 10. Various issues since then so I dont use it.

PClinuxOS currently has the best blend of what I like (apt/synaptic, Drakconf centre, even still on KDE 3.5 pending move to 4.3)

I think the most inspirational distro I have seen recently is Knoppix/Adrianne. Seeing what Klaus Knopper he has done for his missus and passing the result on to the world is very good. That still has some way to go, perhaps a re-write of the apps for a SUI (speaking user interface) is needed.

Phil

Steve, Phil,

Would one of you be interested in giving us a talk sometime in the future (maybe next year) about the relative merits of different Linux distros? A number of our members have expressed interest in Linux (hence the talk tonight) and it could be a good way to meet people with similar interests

PM me if you're interested

Steve, Phil,

Would one of you be interested in giving us a talk sometime in the future (maybe next year) about the relative merits of different Linux distros? A number of our members have expressed interest in Linux (hence the talk tonight) and it could be a good way to meet people with similar interests

PM me if you're interested

This would interest me also.

I am a meddler and tinkerer rather than an expert. I dabble in as many systems as possible, and I have firm views on what is good and what isn't. For amusement if you ask a linux expert to compare and contrast systems you will get many contradictory answers. Also if you get a few linux heads pontificating on systems and software it will inevitably end up in a bun fight, so much choice, so personal.

Bear in mind linux is just the kernel. The BSDs have their own kernel as do the unices. However, most people would not be able to tell the difference between the general distributions by just looking at a desktop (assuming they were set up with the same window manager and look). The software is pretty much the same. The differences tend to be management systems, package management and the tweaks which people make.

There are several very talented linux/bsd/unix people on the IOM. They tend to keep their heads down. I know Dylan Smith is one (used to lurk on the defunct IOM LUG in 2003/4 before it got infested with spam). If asked the majority of people who use free software would be pleased to help others at it is part and parcel of the ethos and philosophy of free software. However, free software people tend to be overly enthusiastic and are commonly perceived as ranting, hence we shut up and keep quiet.

Linux and free software is booming outside the US and Europe, although its not easy to see. On this island it is very hard to find anyone who can help if you want pointers and advice. At the IOM college it is mostly microsoft, with a token mac, and the cisco lab. It is to the detriment of the IOM that a system agnostic approach to computer literacy is not taken.

Free software is different, and despite commonly held views it is not difficult.

The majority of people would not really have any problem with a linux box (not that much to do once it is set up, and that is fairly easy these days). Most people can be linux literate. Very few people make it to gurus. Those few people have a special mind set which just understand systems (electrical engineers for example).

If anybody does want help you only have to say. If you are genuine there are many who would help. There is now a ton of information and beginners guides in newsagents.

Sound out Dylan. Probably a much better communicator than me, and from a thread on the defunct IOM LUG many years ago he would most likely be keen. Install fests take place around the world, you just need a spare machine, and not a powerful one at that. My play machine runs a modern linux distro at the moment. I would be embarrassed to divulge its specifications.....

Nuff said?

Phil

Archived