[BBC News] Manx taste quality test launched

Newsbot

Cue glittering evening of awards ceremony. Civic leaders, captains of industry, shirley bassey tribute singer, master of ceremonies - bloke in a jumper.

Who are the independent assessors? Can I be one?

You are not number one, your are number six.

Load of bollocks, one mans meat.............etc.

Yes awards for "factual" thinks like cleanliness. But when awards are made for what really are opinions they lose all value. Take service for example, what one assesor might deem just right another may find it over (or under) attentive. Like bluemonday says I'd rather take notice of what my fellow forum members say, whilst being prepared to disagree with them.

I've had what I consider to be a really good dinig experience at some establishments whilst friends have not had the same level of enjoyment, and vice versa

Also the Island being what it is it is likely that these asessors may well have friends/family in the catering trade.

Whilst not suggesting this would influence any recommendation the perception may still be there.

So presumably we will now have a full colour brochure, website, awards night etc etc.... a resident food inspector et al.

I am amazed given comments about very unfriendly service elsewhere in Manx Forums to see that a particular Caff has received the highest accolade:

Highest Quality Assured

Copperfields Old Edwardian Restaurant

Garrison Wine and Tapas Bar

Harbour Lights Café and Restaurant Ramsey

L'Experience Restaurant

Tanroagan Seafood Restaurant

Quality Assured

Café Rosa Restaurant

HQ Bar and Restaurant

Harbour Lights Café and Restaurant Peel

Harbour Lights Café and Restaurant Port St Mary

Imperial Dragon Chinese Restaurant

Mount Murray Hotel Restaurant

Mount Murray Hotel Golf Club

Niarbyl Café and Visitor Centre

Nobles Park Café

Peel Fisheries

The Liverpool Arms

The Pavillion, Laxey

Welbeck Hotel and Restaurant

So presumably we will now have a full colour brochure, website, awards night etc etc.... a resident food inspector et al.

I am amazed given comments about very unfriendly service elsewhere in Manx Forums to see that a particular Caff has received the highest accolade:

Highest Quality Assured

Copperfields Old Edwardian Restaurant

Garrison Wine and Tapas Bar

Harbour Lights Café and Restaurant Ramsey

L'Experience Restaurant

Tanroagan Seafood Restaurant

Quality Assured

Café Rosa Restaurant

HQ Bar and Restaurant

Harbour Lights Café and Restaurant Peel

Harbour Lights Café and Restaurant Port St Mary

Imperial Dragon Chinese Restaurant

Mount Murray Hotel Restaurant

Mount Murray Hotel Golf Club

Niarbyl Café and Visitor Centre

Nobles Park Café

Peel Fisheries

The Liverpool Arms

The Pavillion, Laxey

Welbeck Hotel and Restaurant

Well yes one of the top ones you refer to gets my vote as the most overpriced, rubbishy service , up it's own arse place I have ever been too. But others, film stars, world leaders etc may disagree with me

Why not just a public health inspection and a cerificate to hang on the wall?

Because I could open a restaurant serving the the freshest food from a spotless kitchen and be the very pinnacle of health and hygene - however my cooking is bland and unimaginative and my customer service would be shit, so hardly a recommendation.

Well yes one of the top ones you refer to gets my vote as the most overpriced, rubbishy service , up it's own arse place I have ever been too. But others, film stars, world leaders etc may disagree with me

:):P:) :D:lol:

Personally I would like the places to be rated for the quality and price of food and that only - good food usually comes with good service (and if the taste is great I will forgive a little anyway). Don't care if it is spotless - food safety inspectors or whatever they are called look into this sort of thing anyway. Oh I might rate having a BYO licence as being something worth having too.

Would be interesting to see how a food critic from one of the UK papers would rank our cafes and restaurant.

Archived