Gypsies - Roma People

La_Dolce_Vita

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...es-1778593.html

http://www.epha.org/a/1599

http://flag.blackened.net/af/res/resist_fe...pecial_2008.pdf

I've noticed a lot of articles and news footage on racism against gypies over the past year. I didn't think such racism was so severe against the Roma people.

(And as aside, maybe I am too much of a nitpicker, but I thought the word 'gotten' was an Americanism.

"Until the 19th century, Romanian Gypsies were slaves, and they've gotten a mixed response ever since: While discrimination is widespread, many East Europeans are enthusiastic about Gypsy music and dance, which they embrace as part of the region's cultural heritage.")

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the word 'gotten' was an Americanism.

I think I remember hearing that was British first, but was subsequently abandoned in favour of 'got' as past participle in Britain but the colonies didn't follow the change. I seem to remember "ill-gotten gains" being the example.

Similar to the letter 'z' in words like civilized and realized where we revised it to 's' the colonies didn't follow suit.

I don't mind gypsies as long as they're not thieving.

What about non-gypsies? Is it ok if they steal?

I suspect what you mean here is:

I don't like thieves (whether or not they are gypsies).

And I most people would agree with that.

However, I'm not sure it's relevant.

I've only ever met one gypsy and she stole my wallet. I was pretty pissed off about it but i didn't bother chasing her as it was in prague and there was probably more thieving gyppos around the corner

Yeah I suppose it's only logical to suppose that if you met one gypsy and she was a thief then all other gypsies must also be thieves.

Oh hang on, that's clearly retarded.

So you decided to determine the frequency of thieving individuals in a population. That sounds like an interesting project. With you so far. You noted one person that was a thieving gyppo. So your sample size is 1. From there you extrapolate by multiplying the percentage of thieves in your sample group with the population as a whole and decide what? That gypsies are thieves?

I believe the error here is the insufficient size of your control group. Besides, I presume you also saw or heard many other gypsies who didn't steal your possessions?

Also, if the term gypsy is being used interchangably with person of roman descent, then I believe it highly likely that there were many more of them round the corner in Prague!

:)

Traditional Gippos are Ok (generally)

The problems are the pikeys - who give Gypsies a bad/worse name, they think they are above the law in all regards - seeing is believing, feel free to comment if you have experienced

yep the true old style gippos are ok,

but them other pikey gypsies that reside in the uk are a plague on this earth, the lot should be round up and shot, dirty thieving scummy gits,

OK to clarify slightly. My friend and I were accosted by two female gypsies in Prague who proceeded to get close and try and hug us and offer us all sorts of things. Whilst politely saying no to them and trying to firmly but politely push them away, she managed to reach into my leather jacket and take my wallet out (my own fault for stupidly having it there, but hey i was only 21)

I told her she could keep the cash in it (around £30) if she just returned the cards as i would only cancel them anyway

So, she ran off with her friend, and according to my hotel manager the gypsies around there do this quite regularly, and if you give chase, there are always a few males nearby who give you a hiding. Live and learn i guess.

So my only experience with gypsies is having my wallet stolen and being offered home made bracelets and necklaces, and also seeing them return Angel's soul on TV via a particularly fitting curse.

In the UK the traditional 'Gypsy' is long since forgotten, there are bands of travelers who are lawless and who have no respect for anything or anyone. Many of the large twin wheel caravans they reside in are stolen (try and insure a twin wheel caravan) and they send out their feral young many under ten years of age and some who may be under ten years of age to do their thieving. Of course if they get caught they are under the age of criminal responsibility and society cannot deal with them. Whole areas are ruined by scrap metal and rubbish and councils cannot move them on. All of this I know from bitter experience not hearsay.

Some years ago the caravan club site at Blackpool was taken over by a band of this scum and the facility was wrecked, it took the local authority some weeks to enforce an order to remove them.

Criminality in the guise of some persecuted proud olden people is generally a load of tosh in the UK.

Archived