Roadside Banners

Vulgarian

Can you sense the 'atmosphere' the MGP has at the moment? I can sense it all the time in the form of anger, 2 weeks of bloody pointless and inconvenient road closures!

Caveat emptor.

I would like to see the DoT do something that would save injuries and lives - paint white line markings down the sides of roads like they do in the UK. It is a simple measure that helps enormously on Winter nights. Our roads are really in need of this given the grey stone walls and inclement weather.

Oh and ban drivers using foglights on the clear nights. If they have to use them they must be nearly blind and shouldn't be driving a car anyway. Totally inconsiderate.

The DoT seem to be able to stir up controversy on relatively trivial issues but not to deal with more significant ones.

If it stops those unlicenced, untaxed, uninsured, unroadworthy bikes travelling on public roads between stages then fine by me

I agree with you here. The DOTs attitude is pathetic and actually exactly what you'd expect of this Island that is increasingly being run by useless tinpot dictators. There are bigger things that we should be worrying about concerning the trial - three times I have been stuck behind kids clearly too young to have licenses traveling between sections of the trial on public roads (I assume with no license tax or insurance) and its an accident waiting to happen. What do we do though - worry about a few poxy signs telling spectators where they need to go.

Its just typical of where this Island seems to be going at the moment - a useless beaurocracy run by incompetent public servants who are more concerned with looking like they are doing something than actually doing anything of note.

I can't wait to see what is going to happen next year at the TT with all the Honda ,Yamaha,Relentless, Maxxis banners.

The DOT will claim they have permission and it will be ok won't they.

Just watch the TT dvd and tell me they are not a distraction and with 10,000 more vehicles on the roads should they not have to be taken down when the roads are open to the public.

TENDERS WILL BE ASKED FOR SHORTLY !

I can't wait to see what is going to happen next year at the TT with all the Honda ,Yamaha,Relentless, Maxxis banners.

The DOT will claim they have permission and it will be ok won't they.

Or for all those film crews getting lost around the Manx countryside because some DOT tinpot dictator has got the arse and taken all their direction arrows down. You can bet that this stupid law will be changed around 30 seconds after one of the crews involved in our film industry complains that they don't know where they are going as some muppet has taken all their signs down.

Well I personally think it's a good idea!

I couldn't give a f*ck if "Sharon is 40 today". Bedsheets tied to the railing at places such as the quarterbridge were not just unsightly but often a distraction and potential danger to drivers. A line had to be drawn, it has been, and now it is being followed.

Boo Hoo if you don't like it!

They also never take the signs down - left there to rot.

Take a walk through the middle of a plantation some time - off the pathways so you can avoid the dogshit. There's mountain biking stuff everywhere, tape, signs, bottles, it's a disgrace.

Grrrr.

"Mountain biking stuff" and the two day trial are complely different, all the signs, arrows are taken down as each stage is completed.

They also never take the signs down - left there to rot.

Take a walk through the middle of a plantation some time - off the pathways so you can avoid the dogshit. There's mountain biking stuff everywhere, tape, signs, bottles, it's a disgrace.

Grrrr.

Really? Are you sure they are from the Mountain Bike races and not from another event? Are they MMBC signwritten ones?

If you have found some Manx Mountain Bike Club signs and tape in one of the plantations, could you please let them know where abouts so we can go and pick it up. We spend hours taking in the courses after we race, so if we miss any, apologies but I assure you it's not intentional. We would love to get this stuff back, as when we put up all the course markers (legally, and with the permission of DAFF), usually within an hour or so, someone comes along and rips it all up (leaving bits to blow away), meaning we are always having to replace bits.

As for drinks bottles, you will find that most cyclists don't carry bottles of drink round with them. They either use the waterbottles that attach to the frame, or use a hydration pack. Far be it from me to point the finger, but I think you may be directing your anger towards the wrong group of people here.

Archived