Exams

monasqueen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It irritates me that an idiot who has managed to scrape G grades can consider these as passes and is actually awarded with a certifcate for their pathetic effort. Anything below a C should be marked as a fail.

Why? Because they would fail in getting in job?

I am concerned about where the issue lies with the popular criticism of the exam system. The most important thing is to make sure that people can get the best education, and if it is an enforced system of education that they are given the best.

How about we swap and confuse people?

i think that gag is going to be lost on them, after i clearly explained that the D, E and other marks are not simply added onto the end of the A, B and C scale of yesteryear, but is a completely new scale with smaller steps between, there is still chest thumping and taunts about the youth of todays inability to accept failure.

I am a little confused, didn't understand why Albert asked me to change me avatar.

Why should children be seen to fail their exams? It doesn't make sense to me. Should education be about educating people or is about the ability of to sell oneself on the market to get a job?

I can't believe the way you see the point of this, either you've passed or you didn't do well enough to pass so failed, if everyone passes because it's 'unfair' then what's the point in exams in the first place?

I am a little confused, didn't understand why Albert asked me to change me avatar.

Why should children be seen to fail their exams? It doesn't make sense to me. Should education be about educating people or is about the ability of to sell oneself on the market to get a job?

because when thay leave the cotten wool of youth and have to fight it out in the work place, these poor feckers are comeing out of school thinking thay are the best of it.

when the harsh reality is there not, and there in for a big fall.

the GCSE is a part of the National Qualification Framework which was introduce to help employers understand the difference between the many different qualifications available in the UK.

entry level - foundation diploma

Level 1 - GCSE D and below

Level 2 - GCSE A*- C

level 3 - A level

level 4 - professional diploma

level 5 - HND

level 6 - Bachelor's degree

level 7 - Masters degree

level 8 - Doctorates

GCSE level 1 and 2 are different, students taking the level 1 GCSE exam can only hope to score a D at the highest

students taking the GCSE level 2 exam can score the A* at the highest but can score no lower than a C

so to argue that anything less than a C should be a fail is completely reduntant when you realise that the level 1 exam student cannot score higher than a D.

I think there is a danger that if we concentrate on a* to c and say they are a pass, and everything else is a fail is that we focus too much on academic kids.

If you are an employer looking for checkout staff, distinguish between those that can do simple sums and read and write adequately is important you're not bothered if they can write an imaginative essay or quadratic equations.

A less bright kid with grade D's in Maths and English has probably applied himself to get those grades and has achieved an adequate competency in those fields. He's got to be a better bet for an employer than someone who turned up intermittently was disruptive, did no homework and can't do basic Maths and English.

If you make it C or better is a pass and everything else is a fail. What incentive is there for the lad that has to work hard to get a D to apply himself - a pass would be beyond him and he'd be seen the same as the guy who dicked around all year. Also schools would be putting all their energy into the kids who could get grade C not the ones who's best hope is a D, because that is how they'll be judged.

Has anyone else taken note of the road sign by the Sefton - the one that says that Johnny Wattersons Lane is closed, and that Governers Bridge is open?

Someone has their spelling up in lights!!!

Sign now says J. Wattersons.... and "Gov. Bridge"

:lol::lol:

the GCSE is a part of the National Qualification Framework which was introduce to help employers understand the difference between the many different qualifications available in the UK.

entry level - foundation diploma

Level 1 - GCSE D and below

Level 2 - GCSE A*- C

level 3 - A level

level 4 - professional diploma

level 5 - HND

level 6 - Bachelor's degree

level 7 - Masters degree

level 8 - Doctorates

I thought everything from a Bachelor's and up was outside of the national qualification framework (instead being a part of the framework for higher education qualifications, which itself isn't very complete)? Also I didn't think there was such a thing as a Level 1 GCSE exam, the different levels instead correspond to the grades the students get (i.e. a student who gets a D or below is Level 1, and so on). Where there were different exams it usually consisted of tiers: a foundation exam, where the highest grade is a C, and a higher exam.

I thought everything from a Bachelor's and up was outside of the national qualification framework (instead being a part of the framework for higher education qualifications, which itself isn't very complete)? Also I didn't think there was such a thing as a Level 1 GCSE exam, the different levels instead correspond to the grades the students get (i.e. a student who gets a D or below is Level 1, and so on). Where there were different exams it usually consisted of tiers: a foundation exam, where the highest grade is a C, and a higher exam.

im not sure but i think that they are outside the NQF but are sited as examples of the equivalent worth of the actual NQF level 6 and above.

as for the GCSE level 1 and 2, i remember my GCSE exams either had two different papers one for C and above and the other D and below or you came to a section that said "do not continue" for those who were only sitting the D and below portion of the exam. only C and above student did the second part of the exam, that was 15 years ago.

i was hoping you were going to weight in on this one VinnieK, i thought you might know of a source that could put this one to rest.

Archived