Traditional Light Bulbs Illegal In Eu

manshimajin

From 1 September it will be illegal to sell traditional light bulbs in EU countries.

An emergency session of Tynwald decided not to proceed with any Manx application to join the EU until stocks of traditional bulbs had been disposed of at a certain electrical emporium in Castletown.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use low energy bulbs for most things, but I found out recently that the fake fire effect on my electric fire doesn't work with one of those, it needs a traditional bulb for the heat to make the little fan work :(

I'm not sure how well-known the following is, but the Department of Energy recommends opening the windows, leaving the room and closing the door if a low-energy light bulb breaks. This to avoid the low amounts of mercury in the bulb when it breaks.

Not a major concern as we're only talking small amount here, but still something to think remember when the stockpile of regular environment-destroying light bulbs dwindles.

Are energy saving bulbs still remarkably poor at lighting rooms or have advances been made yet?

They are good if you turn them on about 2 minutes before you need to see anything.

Problematic when going for a quick piss.

Are energy saving bulbs still remarkably poor at lighting rooms or have advances been made yet?

They are good if you turn them on about 2 minutes before you need to see anything.

Glad you said that i thought me bloody eyesight was going :P

I find them pretty crap to read by. PC nonsense this, that's not going to make a big difference overall.

Not exactly dimmer switch friendly either. When I tried them they flickered a lot and there was something not as bad as, but similar to, strobe lighting.

Ah well Arkwright's supply of real light bulbs may last a little while yet.

Does anyone know if/when this rule banning the sale of old style bulbs will be applied here? (presumably we would run out of them pretty quickly anyway).

P.S. I used to be a bit puzzled seeing folk in Warsaw selling light bulbs with their filaments broken. It turned out that amongst apartment dwellers it was normal practice to remove working bulbs from the light fittings in the stairwells but you needed something non-working to replace them with. No doubt the caretakers wondered why the bulbs blew so often - then again they may have been the people selling the broken ones!

From 1 September it will be illegal to sell traditional light bulbs in EU countries.

An emergency session of Tynwald decided not to proceed with any Manx application to join the EU until stocks of traditional bulbs had been disposed of at a certain electrical emporium in Castletown.

Dear God, that thing about Browne's is a joke isn't it?

Not exactly dimmer switch friendly either. When I tried them they flickered a lot and there was something not as bad as, but similar to, strobe lighting.

Right that's interesting to know, I thought they were ok with dimmers. I've been gradually replacing my traditional bulbs with low energy ones, but haven't got round to the the bedroom yet which has a dimmer switch.

The dimmer/halogen spotlight combo in my kitchen was completely pointless (not installed my me) - replaced the dimmer with a regular switch when it blew!

strictly it is illegal to sell non-pearl lamps with dissipation of 100W or greater - thus low consumption traditional lamps should still be available - possibly in short term future the lower consumption ones (eg pilot lamps in fridges etc will be replaced by LED versions

Archived