Traditional Light Bulbs Illegal In Eu

manshimajin

Research raises health fears over energy-saving light bulbs

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle4915472.ece

'Green' lightbulbs poison workers

Hundreds of factory staff are being made ill by mercury used in bulbs destined for the West

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6211261.ece

Ah well it's only the poor exploited workers in sweat shops - at least it'll be a change for them from making designer clothing and trainers for the west.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find them pretty crap to read by. PC nonsense this, that's not going to make a big difference overall.

An estimated 600 million incandescent bulbs in the UK alone, the average saving is £45 per household per year, and 80% less energy. That's a big difference.

Research raises health fears over energy-saving light bulbs

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle4915472.ece

Specifically exposed fluorescent, which aren't the type you'll be buying from B&Q.

Gazza, you have to dispose of 15 incandescent lightbulbs for every CFL. Even with the mercury, you're better off with CFL. LED's are getting more practical now, we've got a few, but of course you've got the complications and cost.

It is a shame that incandescents have to be banned to force people to use CFL's appropriately. Ideally they'd both be available as there's plenty of situations where incandescents are more appropriate, like toilets (cfl's are shit at short cycles as mentioned above), reading lights, daylight lamps etc.

you would have thought a bulb manufacturer would have brought out a 99 watt bulb to get round the BS legislation. all this crap about saving energy, yet kettles are using bigger elements than ever to boil the water faster!!

Kettles are supposed to produce heat, the problem with incandescent bulbs is that they're supposed to produce light but 98% of the energy used for light is wasted producing heat. A bigger element won't reduce the efficiency necessarily, and most modern kettles are better at boiling the required amount of water reducing the amount of energy wasted.

Ideally they'd both be available as there's plenty of situations where incandescents are more appropriate, like toilets (cfl's are shit at short cycles as mentioned above), reading lights, daylight lamps etc.

fluorescent light sure makes you look ill in the mirror :P

to cope with cfl I have one normal and 2 cfl in the multi light fittings on the landing and hall to light the stairs as soon as it's put on

EU reg 244/2009 section 5 refers ONLY to ‘household lamps’ and so, as a result of being so specific together with other wording in that section, it follows that the restriction on the sale of 100 watt incandescent bulbs intended for industry or business premises is not banned.

Might be interesting to ask to buy a 100 watt bulb for your garden shed and if told you can’t start an action under human rights legislation.

On the other hand the new low energy bulbs actually are fine.

As for needing instant light in the loo, my guess is that the number of men who need a bright light in order to find their ‘member’ is rather small, as must be that which they need a strong light to locate.

Are energy saving bulbs still remarkably poor at lighting rooms or have advances been made yet?

You can get ones that are pretty much instant to about 80% then build up slowly from there. I actually find the best ones are from Shoprite Chester St!

Yup, the ones from Shoprite are good. Light up quickly and are a reasonable price.

Still got a few energy saving bulbs that are 6+ years old. Those old ones are annoyingly slow to light up. Had one go pop recently after 6+ years, was well worth the money IMO.

The LED equivilent for downlights is coming along quite good now, the ones they sell in B&Q and the likes are very dim and give off a horrible blue/white light but you can get LED GU10/MR10 (230V or 12V) lamps that are around 10 watts that give off a warm LED light and are around the same output as a 50W although the beam angles aren't as wide so nice high ceilings will benefeit more.

you would have thought a bulb manufacturer would have brought out a 99 watt bulb to get round the BS legislation. all this crap about saving energy, yet kettles are using bigger elements than ever to boil the water faster!!

Kettles are supposed to produce heat, the problem with incandescent bulbs is that they're supposed to produce light but 98% of the energy used for light is wasted producing heat. A bigger element won't reduce the efficiency necessarily, and most modern kettles are better at boiling the required amount of water reducing the amount of energy wasted.

yes, i did realise that at the time, in fact it is better to have a big wattage kettle as it allows less time for heat to convect/radiate away from the kettle during the boiling process. but i reckon incandesent bulbs must be better than halogens?? having a couple of 100 watt bulbs doesn't give out a lot of heat, but put on a 150 watt halogen like these outside lights, and you can nearly make toast from them. i think it may be time to experiment with a 12 volt transformer onto the house lighting circuit only and see how bright 100w car headlamp bulbs hanging from the ceiling can make the place?? they do afterall light up the road 50 yards away?? it would also negate the need for an electrician to P test the circuit as it would no longer be hard wired into the consumer unit and would be nothing to do with them.

yes, i did realise that at the time, in fact it is better to have a big wattage kettle as it allows less time for heat to convect/radiate away from the kettle during the boiling process. but i reckon incandesent bulbs must be better than halogens?? having a couple of 100 watt bulbs doesn't give out a lot of heat, but put on a 150 watt halogen like these outside lights, and you can nearly make toast from them. i think it may be time to experiment with a 12 volt transformer onto the house lighting circuit only and see how bright 100w car headlamp bulbs hanging from the ceiling can make the place?? they do afterall light up the road 50 yards away?? it would also negate the need for an electrician to P test the circuit as it would no longer be hard wired into the consumer unit and would be nothing to do with them.

Halogen are incandescent bulbs, so have the same inefficiency. They generate a lot of heat, that's the point, they can run hotter without burning out, but over 90% of the power you put in comes out as heat, not light. Very daft for an outside light, but there's not much in the way of alternatives yet that are bright enough.

The rest of your post makes very little sense :)

The LED equivilent for downlights is coming along quite good now, the ones they sell in B&Q and the likes are very dim and give off a horrible blue/white light but you can get LED GU10/MR10 (230V or 12V) lamps that are around 10 watts that give off a warm LED light and are around the same output as a 50W although the beam angles aren't as wide so nice high ceilings will benefeit more.

I was looking at some recently, and there are better ones available right now that output 430 lumens of warm white light (3500k) equivalent to 50W halogen, but at around £35 a piece I'll wait until the spares have blown before I shell out for them!

Anyone know what kind of bulbs are used for the 'decorative lighting' on Douglas Promenade?

For what it’s worth in Great Yarmouth the fairy lights are mostly LED’s and they work very well.

Same with the majority of the bulbs on the rides at the Pleasure Beach and the displays on the sea front.

http://tinyurl.com/nnsltv (Work and family safe)

Archived