Ever Wondered What It Is Like To Holiday Here?

Declan

I recently asked my kids (boys 6 & 13) where they wanted to go on holiday next year (we went to Anglesey & Holland this year) and the immediate reply from both of them was The Isle of Man!!! We do usually come every 2nd year, as I love the place.

What is that you and your family like about the Isle of Man?

I was born in the IOM and enjoy living here. While I have spent a couple of years away, I've always ended up back here and have no plans to move. However sadly I can't really see what it has to offer as a holiday destination outside of TT week. Expensive to get here, expensive to eat out, unreliable weather. I suppose if you were into vintage transport or hill walking? There are a few interesting museums etc. Definitely not enough for a return trip though I wouldn't have thought?

Well atleast I won`t be entirely on my own then.Does seem like everyone else is leaving sometimes,I`m going nowhere.Shame is, if there was a will to change just a few things around this place has the scope to absoloutely rock as opposed to just being one.

Where did you spend your couple of years away? - somewhere hot? - personally (and I do realise I`m probably on my own on this) I like the weather over here - moderate - not too hot ,not too cold, a bit windy sometimes but it doesn`t bother me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I imagine its a bit like going to Royston Vasey ...

Except we didn`t get a fun fair/circus/whatever.

Hello Dave!!

Do you want a go on the Waltzes on the Promonade? TT Week only. Only five pounds and I promise not to steal your wife. I can't promise not to have an inappropriate relationship with your daughter though.

post-2229-1252019529_thumb.jpg

Sometimes when I wake up and look out of the window I think I am in Portmeirion.

If I hadn't been born and bred here, I'd probably not even have thought of coming to the IOM on holiday! But one year we couldn't afford to go away and pretended we were tourists - and loved it. It's a brilliant place to spend a holiday if you don't shite entertainment laid on.

Very simply, if the parents are enjoying themselves it rubs off on the kids. If the parents are grumping and moaning then the kids will get fed up too. Children will enjoy themselves just about anywhere provided there is plenty of scope for doing things, anything. But if their parents are continually moaning about how it is the worst holiday of their lives then it will affect the kids.

Simples, I would have thought.

You could be right about the Brecon Beacons though.

Very simply, if the parents are enjoying themselves it rubs off on the kids. If the parents are grumping and moaning then the kids will get fed up too. Children will enjoy themselves just about anywhere provided there is plenty of scope for doing things, anything. But if their parents are continually moaning about how it is the worst holiday of their lives then it will affect the kids.

Simples, I would have thought.

You could be right about the Brecon Beacons though.

I am definitely right aabout the Brecon Beacons!

Ok consider this scenario:-

Parents been friends with another couple for years. Both couples end up having an couple of kids and sort of lose contact. Some years down the line friendship is rekindled and they with both sets of kids decide to have a joint holiday, lets say, in some remote Scottish village. Parents have a great time catching up on lost years, whereas kids from both families thrown together as strangers absolutely do not get on and end up beating the crap out of each other.

Sorry it's late, and I'm regressing

Perhaps the parents spend too much time rekindling rather than having a holiday with their children? Perhaps?

Well maybe, but then doesn't that rather contradict your earlier assertion that if the parents are having a good holiday then their children will automatically do so?

(I'm not looking for a fight here)

Parents been friends with another couple for years. Both couples end up having an couple of kids and sort of lose contact. Some years down the line friendship is rekindled and they with both sets of kids decide to have a joint holiday, lets say, in some remote Scottish village. Parents have a great time catching up on lost years, whereas kids from both families thrown together as strangers absolutely do not get on and end up beating the crap out of each other.

Coming soon to an Iain Banks novel.

Archived