Monday Racing Cancelled

bluemonday

I'm just curious as to the reasons behind there thoughts, that’s all!!

The MGP has marginal if any net economic benefit for the Island

Causes equal disruption to the daily lives as the TT

There continues to be a string of fatalties and accidents that puts strain on the local medical and police force

I have no particalar gripe about the MGP, indeed the general ambience of the event is much more genial than the TT.

The stark reality though is that the negative aspects of teh TT are "tolerated" becuase of the revenue streams. Take that away and you are basically left with a biking event of marginal interest to bikers let alone the mass populous.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that reply WSAG, but I was under the impression that it wasn't just the TT / MGP that they were referring to when they didn't want visitors across??

It's these other reasons that interest me, as I'm fully aware of the pros and cons of the TT /MGP issues ;)

There continues to be a string of fatalties and accidents that puts strain on the local medical and police force

I have no particalar gripe about the MGP, indeed the general ambience of the event is much more genial than the TT.

The stark reality though is that the negative aspects of teh TT are "tolerated" becuase of the revenue streams. Take that away and you are basically left with a biking event of marginal interest to bikers let alone the mass populous.

Tell this to the Hoteliers and tourist accommodation people whos just had abusy two weeks and may now have enough money to last to next year.

Tell this to the Hoteliers and tourist accommodation people whos just had abusy two weeks and may now have enough money to last to next year.

You reckon there's that many people over...I doubt it very much.

Counter that with the lost work hours of people who cant get round to do their jobs due to road closures. There's an opportunity cost here too fella, which your racing blinkers seem to have over looked....

Show me an P&L for IOM PLC that shows a nice fat profit and I shall eat my humble pie and the event will get my unbridled support.....

Palpable nonsense.

From May onwards, I was up to my neck with people contacting me in the hope of letting accomodation for this last TT. Hardly any of it moved. There was no demand.

There was apparently/allegedly a shortage of 'homestay' rooms for TT but quality houses, apartments, cottages etc were empty everywhere.

(No insult intended to Homestay)

MGP has been mostly the same, just spoke to a client ( 5 minutes ago ) who has a hotel on the prom which was busy, but at the end of the week, he'll have not a few empty rooms which he needs to fill pronto to survive the winter.

You wouldn't know the truth if it hit you with a herring

I spoke to the Vicar of Braddan Church this week regarding the races, he explained that without the races it would be near imposible to pay the running costs of the church, today alone would have been worth 3k to the church

Charming, people can be killed and maimed as long as he keeps a building that's empty except for a few hours a week in good nick.

How very Christian.

Palpable nonsense.

From May onwards, I was up to my neck with people contacting me in the hope of letting accomodation for this last TT. Hardly any of it moved. There was no demand.

There was apparently/allegedly a shortage of 'homestay' rooms for TT but quality houses, apartments, cottages etc were empty everywhere.

(No insult intended to Homestay)

MGP has been mostly the same, just spoke to a client ( 5 minutes ago ) who has a hotel on the prom which was busy, but at the end of the week, he'll have not a few empty rooms which he needs to fill pronto to survive the winter.

You wouldn't know the truth if it hit you with a herring CRAP

I spoke to the Vicar of Braddan Church this week regarding the races, he explained that without the races it would be near imposible to pay the running costs of the church, today alone would have been worth 3k to the church

Charming, people can be killed and maimed as long as he keeps a building that's empty except for a few hours a week in good nick.

How very Christian.

So in conclusion....

The IOM would simply sinking the sea dying a paupers death if it weren't for the 4 weeks a year when we have more than 5 tourists but at least 2 go home in body bags.

Nice.

How many young locals get lifted off themanx roads in body bags per year, maybe we shouldban the under 25s from driving

So in conclusion....

The IOM would simply sinking the sea dying a paupers death if it weren't for the 4 weeks a year when we have more than 5 tourists but at least 2 go home in body bags.

Nice.

How many young locals get lifted off themanx roads in body bags per year, maybe we shouldban the under 25s from driving

No. They are Manx people, on Manx roads, and Manx statistics

Archived