10 Of The 55 Remaining Piers In Britain Under Threat

bishbashbosh

And then after that, let Port Erin become the new capital, because it has more vibrancy than Douglas has EVER had.

The only 'vibrancy' in Port Erin is when there's an earth tremor in North Wales.

Some people seem to want to make the island a living museum - preserving things merely because of their age rather than their historical or aesthetic value. Demolish the pier.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the refurbished pier could double as the monorail station .

The millions that it would cost to renovate the pier would be a stupid waste of money especially as previously mentioned there are things like the hyperbaric chamber in desparate need of funds .

Even if they did go ahead and piss a load of money away on it I very much doubt it would draw in vast crowds and recoup anywhere near the investment , try to charge people too much to walk it and nobody will bother , keep it free and make the taxpayers fork out and they get pissed off . Lose Lose situation .

The money would be far better off renovating the town centre in Ramsey , tidying up some of the derelict buldings etc .

As for Port Erin being vibrant , aye it is on a sunny day and the beach is jammed but there is a fair few derelict buildings cropping up that are starting to look very tatty . Be interesting to see what happens with the buldings at Bradda . The marine lab could be put to good use too , I reckon it would make an excellent youth hostel or something along those lines .

Fair play. I agree. There are so many talented people who, given the money they are thinking about for the Ramsey Pier (or any project of the ilk, if I'm being honest) could do INCREDIBLE things here on the the Island it is a crime to spend it on the pier.

Ramsey needs the funds and it probably is due the funds as it has been overlooked for all these years whilst other places like Douglas have had stupid money thrown at it and largely wasted. But anyone who supports the Pier is not a realist - they are merely currying favour with the old biddy voters. Like no other town, Ramsey is an almost clean slate. It could become anything - from weekend retreat to shopping Mecca - it has unlimted potential unhindered by planning problems and land restraint.

The only thing holding Ramsey back is the people who represent it.

edit: ps. Port Erin WAS the TT this year. Douglas has lost it. It smells of piss and is full of teenagers trying to kill each other. Whoever runs this shed of an Island did themselves a favour by booking St Winifreds School Choir as the main event in Douglas. It drove guests to the classier parts of the Island ;)

I've always felt that the pier should have had the attention it has needed over the last 20 years or so, but it is clearly too late to spend money on it now.

Its not like it would have ever made any money by having a fantastic attraction at the end, it would just have the typical greasy spoon cafe that would be visted once or twice with the promise of "never again", like so many others!

A massive investment elsewhere in the town is desperately needed though and i do hope it happens in my lifetime while i'm still young enough to enjoy it.

I do realise there are people who do not embrace any kind of change and modernism and to them i say.... "F**k off" and go and ruin another town your work here is done!!!

I was really looking forward to taking romantic walks on the pier in my bustle dress, but I am surprised how many people are against repairing the pier.

How much will it cost to repair?

Exactly!

I had many a romantic time (admittedly underneath the pier) after a cracking night in The Viking, think of what future generations will miss out on.

You can really ruin Ramsey though, there isn't anything there.

I was really looking forward to taking romantic walks on the pier in my bustle dress, but I am surprised how many people are against repairing the pier.

How much will it cost to repair?

I think that is the relevent point - it simply can't be ignored, it is either repaired - or removed for safety reasons and I am sure the cost of removal was on a par with the renovation, in which case revovate?

I think that is the relevent point - it simply can't be ignored, it is either repaired - or removed for safety reasons and I am sure the cost of removal was on a par with the renovation, in which case revovate?

Well there were three options, i recall:

-Demolition - the least expensive option.

-Restoriation using modern materials - more expensive.

-Full period restoration - much more expensive.

I can't remember the figures quoted for each option now.

I don't see why they couldn't just leave it to fall down, and just cordon off that part of the beach.

Well there were three options, i recall:

-Demolition - the least expensive option.

-Restoriation using modern materials - more expensive.

-Full period restoration - much more expensive.

I can't remember the figures quoted for each option now.

I don't see why they couldn't just leave it to fall down, and just cordon off that part of the beach.

Has anyone got the origional figures? I am sure modern restoration and demolition were the same, if so I think worth while retaining, however I agree if it was a blank canvass and someone said lets spend x millions on a pier then need their head testing.

Archived