10 Of The 55 Remaining Piers In Britain Under Threat

bishbashbosh

You can really ruin Ramsey though, there isn't anything there.

I was really looking forward to taking romantic walks on the pier in my bustle dress,

This hasnt always been the case, Ramsey didnt get its "Royal Ramsey" title by having nothing.

Does anyone remember Talk of the Town? (way before my time but people still talk of it)

We use to have a lovely cinema until it was knocked down in favour of a ground level carpark which probably holds about 50 cars.

An icecream parlour and amusement arcade on the prom.

Some lovely hotels which have been knocked down in favour of some superb looking apartments so no visiters can enjoy the amazing views out to Maughold Head and beyond.

All these exclusive properties that are being built are great and all that but i do wonder why it has been needed to do it at the cost of having nothing to do, nowhere to go and ripping the heart out of what use to be our beautiful Royal Ramsey!!!

LDV, i would have loved to have joined you on your pier walk but sadly it aint gonna happen in Ramsey. :(

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This hasnt always been the case, Ramsey didnt get its "Royal Ramsey" title by having nothing.

No, it got it by having a brief visit by a queen's consort. The queen had the good sense not to bother.

Maybe she had heard that the most hazardous place on earth was just across the sea from the town!

LDV, i would have loved to have joined you on your pier walk but sadly it aint gonna happen in Ramsey. :(

It could still happen, just might be dangerous to attempt it.

Is the building at the end of the pier still intact, does it still stand? Was it a cafe?

Gosh you know i'm not too sure!

I think it has fallen into the sea or it got taken down or something.

I dont remember what was at the end maybe a cafe, but there was a train that took the public who wanted a ride out to the end, i can remember that quite clearly.

No, it got it by having a brief visit by a queen's consort. The queen had the good sense not to bother.

Maybe she had heard that the most hazardous place on earth was just across the sea from the town!

There are two plaques on the blockhouse, which replaced the original toll booths, commemorating the two royal visits, one in 1902 and another in 1920.

Archived