[BBC News] Manx Grand Prix races will start

Newsbot

2009 Costs

My spend for this years TT amounted to just under £700 approx for 9 days, and can be easily broken down as follows:

Ferry - £217.00

Petrol - £120.00

Food eating out etc £190.00

Drink - £10.00 only went out one night!!

Other Misc Costs - £150.00

I stay with friends, so I’m lucky in that respect, but in general the above would be about the average for my trips.

Obviously the ferry costs and to a degree the petrol costs will not directly benefit the Island, but the other costs were via local outlets etc.

I'd say you could add 9 x £25 if you were looking at Homestay??

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No but I would estimated that each visitor would spend over £1000 to visit and stay at the TT for the week

Most of which would go to the Steam Packet and be banked in Oz.

The IOMSP take on extra staff during the races, existing crew and staff work longer hours so they have a bit extra cash to spend locally, Extra tax and NI to IOM Gov. They also buy most of their supplies here

Sorry error in posting should read £2.8 million to run the TT, and the figure has not been plucked out of the air, its the figure published, as to the £1000 spent by each visitor this is on the low side, my fuel and tyre bill alone for this years TT over £5 k and that would be an average per competitor

I think the TT probably does earn the Island Money but as the article linked says it's very difficult to come to a definite figure, however the £2.8 mil isn't the full cost to the public purse. There's extra police, the road work, the hospital costs, other infrastructure costs such as the money spent on the grandstand over the years.

As usual your argument is over simplistic.

Indeed.

Plus also the time/cost implications of rerouting commercial vehicles when roads are closed.

Plus the cost to businesses which cannot operate when the roads are closed and have to remain closed.

Some companies use the TT period as annual holidays and have done for many years, Nealy all manufacturing plants close down, and how much extra trade do the Haulage companies get out of the TT

The IOMSP take on extra staff during the races, existing crew and staff work longer hours so they have a bit extra cash to spend locally, Extra tax and NI to IOM Gov. They also buy most of their supplies here

This is all guesswork and bollocks. Are those extra staff manx employees? Do they even get off the boat here? Where do these people work for the other weeks of the year, or do they just hibernate and live off two weeks wages?

Give it up eh?

Indeed.

Plus also the time/cost implications of rerouting commercial vehicles when roads are closed.

Plus the cost to businesses which cannot operate when the roads are closed and have to remain closed.

Plus, don't forget the incredible amount of time "armchair polititions" on Manx Forums spend pointlessly arguing about it pretty much all year.

Some companies use the TT period as annual holidays and have done for many years, Nealy all manufacturing plants close down, and how much extra trade do the Haulage companies get out of the TT

I assume that's a rhetorical question.

Do tell.

Accurate figures would of course be useful but I won't hold my breath.

This is all guesswork and bollocks. Are those extra staff manx employees? Do they even get off the boat here? Where do these people work for the other weeks of the year, or do they just hibernate and live off two weeks wages?

Give it up eh?

Does it matter, their Tax and NI is paid to the IOM Gov

The Trams from Laxey to snaefell are always full on race days, Buses, Train, taxis coaches all get a good turn out of the races, pity the local wont use them to get to and from work, parking problems in Douglas solved

So is it now your additional contention that the carbon footprint is beneficial as well?

At what point do the 'profits' made out of the TT and MGP cease to justify the loss of lives, the creation of widows and fatherless children, and the pain and anguish caused by serious injuries?

Do the French,Swiss,Germans, Americans and any other country that operate Ski resorts complain about the greater loss off life than what the TT has, No they do what most do, rake in the tourist $£

Does it matter, their Tax and NI is paid to the IOM Gov

Not if they're not manx employees it isn't.

But I agree, it doesn't matter. I don't care if the TT is pulling in loads of money or costing us, that doesn't justify the dire safety record.

Oh god, the Skiing thing again. You're not very bright, are you?

At what point do the 'profits' made out of the TT and MGP cease to justify the loss of lives, the creation of widows and fatherless children, and the pain and anguish caused by serious injuries?

Do the French,Swiss,Germans, Americans and any other country that operate Ski resorts complain about the greater loss off life than what the TT has, No they do what most do, rake in the tourist $£

You got your answer there Terse .At no point apparently ,where money is concerned .

Do the french care, No

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Aval...dents-2007-2008

And the Austrians

The province of Lower Austria is expected to pass this Thursday a law obliging under-14s to wear a helmet on the slopes after 17 deaths already this Austrian ski season. The most high profile incident, involving a German politician, sparked a huge national debate in Austria over the wearing of helmets and some are calling for a national law on the subject.

Archived