[BBC News] Manx Grand Prix races will start

Newsbot

The point at issue here is not whether the French care, nor the Swiss, Austrians, Italians or germans.

The question is, do WE care, and the answer appears to be no. A man dies this week, but it doesn't matter, because the horsey trams did good business. Kerchingg! I'm sure his family will be deeply relieved to know that taxi drivers on the Island are well off as a result.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From personal observation i.e. 'hearsay evidence,' there appear to be fewer visitors to the MGP than ever; the horse trams are mostly running empty, taxis seem to be queueing up on the ranks, the few remaining hotels and guest houses appear to have no shortage of vacancies, and even 'Colours' couldn't be arsed to make the effort to open last night.

The economic argument is dead in the water.

Driving along the prom this morning my observation was that all the Hotels looked busy, loads of vans,bikes and cars parked outside them,

As to Colours not being open last night it could be that the Villa had the MGP prize presentation on

Nuts - a there are just twice as many skiing fatalities / year for a nation of 50M of whom I suspect well over 1M go skiing as there are RTA deaths / year on Manx roads - the death rate/competitior is probably at laest 1/1,000th taht of the TT?MGP and probably nearer 1/10,000th

At what point do the 'profits' made out of the TT and MGP cease to justify the loss of lives, the creation of widows and fatherless children, and the pain and anguish caused by serious injuries?

At the point where the riders made a decision to enter, and took responsibility for their own actions.

At what point do the 'profits' made out of the TT and MGP cease to justify the loss of lives, the creation of widows and fatherless children, and the pain and anguish caused by serious injuries?

At the point where the riders made a decision to enter, and took responsibility for their own actions.

Good! I would hate to think that accidents were ever the result of the actions of others. :huh:

Bikers don't want to hear this, but the truth is that the MGP is dying on it's arse and the TT itself is declining. Neither will last more than a few years unless, like the horse trams, they keep running them long after everyone's lost interest in them.

Nuts - a there are just twice as many skiing fatalities / year for a nation of 50M of whom I suspect well over 1M go skiing as there are RTA deaths / year on Manx roads - the death rate/competitior is probably at laest 1/1,000th taht of the TT?MGP and probably nearer 1/10,000th

So its ok for one country to promote a sport that has fatalities regardless of quantity, but not for the IOM How many times have we seen you lot post that one death is to many at the TT, now because its skiing 10/20/30 dead in one season is OK. As long as its not on your back door.

Good! I would hate to think that accidents were ever the result of the actions of others. :huh:

Bikers don't want to hear this, but the truth is that the MGP is dying on it's arse and the TT itself is declining. Neither will last more than a few years unless, like the horse trams, they keep running them long after everyone's lost interest in them.

The TT and MGP are not on their Arse, they will out live you and me and probably our grand kids. This years MGP has been busier than ever despite the bad weather

So its ok for one country to promote a sport that has fatalities regardless of quantity, but not for the IOM[/color] How many times have we seen you lot post that one death is to many at the TT, now because its skiing 10/20/30 dead in one season is OK. As long as its not on your back door.

As has been explained to you over and over again, the total number isn't relevant, it's the number vs participants that's important. Can you not see that?

Also, we've no control over what those countries chose to do, so why is it relevant to us?

As has been explained to you over and over again, the total number isn't relevant, it's the number vs participants that's important. Can you not see that?

Well, the resort I go to every year hosts racing every Friday (local schools, etc.), and cup series racing once a month (sometimes more often). During the course of a normal day it is usual to hear a half a dozen or so ambulances, sirens blaring, heading for the hospital. At the weekend and during racing it is a good deal more, easily double. This is a small resort of just 48 runs, most of which are advanced skiing. I was there once when there were two fatalities in one day. During the week when it is quiet, I doubt there are 500 people on the hill. Fridays and weekends probably 1000. So half a dozen injuries for about 500 people on an average day. That is a pretty high rate of injury. It is a dangerous resort.

It is highly likely that I will go there again next year. The people in the community who live there will prepare the slopes and I will be off skiing, paying a premium for the pleasure. The community get behind the sport and promote it, which makes it all the more plesurable. They could make it a lot safer by removing the trees, but the danger is half the fun. If I get hurt, so be it. However, should they ban skiing and stop ski resorts all together, it would not stop me finding some back country hill somewhere which would be a lot more dangerous.

Well, the resort I go to every year hosts racing every Friday (local schools, etc.), and cup series racing once a month (sometimes more often). During the course of a normal day it is usual to hear a half a dozen or so ambulances, sirens blaring, heading for the hospital. At the weekend and during racing it is a good deal more, easily double. This is a small resort of just 48 runs, most of which are advanced skiing. I was there once when there were two fatalities in one day. During the week when it is quiet, I doubt there are 500 people on the hill. Fridays and weekends probably 1000. So half a dozen injuries for about 500 people on an average day. That is a pretty high rate of injury. It is a dangerous resort

However, should they ban skiing and stop ski resorts all together, it would not stop me finding some back country hill somewhere which would be a lot more dangerous.

500 skiiers a week day or 1,000 on a weekend is probably still 5 times the number of riders in the TT

You mention two fatalities in one day. What you do not mention is whether such fatalities are normal and expected as per the TT or one offs.

Nobody I believe on this site has called for the banning of riding motorcycles or to stop all motorbike racing. The concerns expressed relates to one specific event or two if you class the TT and MGP as seperate. If in sking there is a race/event which produces fatality figures as high as are produced with regard to the TT/MGP where it is expected competitors will die or not be in a position to look after themselves for the rest of their lives then I would not be supportive of uch an event if I lived in that appropriate area.

Well, the resort I go to every year hosts racing every Friday (local schools, etc.), and cup series racing once a month (sometimes more often). During the course of a normal day it is usual to hear a half a dozen or so ambulances, sirens blaring, heading for the hospital. At the weekend and during racing it is a good deal more, easily double. This is a small resort of just 48 runs, most of which are advanced skiing. I was there once when there were two fatalities in one day. During the week when it is quiet, I doubt there are 500 people on the hill. Fridays and weekends probably 1000. So half a dozen injuries for about 500 people on an average day. That is a pretty high rate of injury. It is a dangerous resort

However, should they ban skiing and stop ski resorts all together, it would not stop me finding some back country hill somewhere which would be a lot more dangerous.

500 skiiers a week day or 1,000 on a weekend is probably still 5 times the number of riders in the TT

You mention two fatalities in one day. What you do not mention is whether such fatalities are normal and expected as per the TT or one offs.

Nobody I believe on this site has called for the banning of riding motorcycles or to stop all motorbike racing. The concerns expressed relates to one specific event or two if you class the TT and MGP as seperate. If in sking there is a race/event which produces fatality figures as high as are produced with regard to the TT/MGP where it is expected competitors will die or not be in a position to look after themselves for the rest of their lives then I would not be supportive of uch an event if I lived in that appropriate area.

More bikes go over Snaefell per day than skiers down slopes in one day at MontBlanch. 16 deaths at one resort (8 in one day alone)in a short season is worse that any TT/MGP stats

Mont Blanch alone had 16 fatalities this season, and they don't have 30000 hairy arsed skiers at any one time probbally a max of 8/900 in a week

In excess of 20,000 reach the summit each year and rouughly the same number do not. The TT/MGP has 3 or 4 hundred riders. So that is about a ratio of about 1:100 which deathwise still seems to give it to the TT/MGP as a percentage of participants. Can we be knocked from our top spot?

Archived