[BBC News] Manx Grand Prix races will start

Newsbot

The sad thing is, all too many people die at a ripe old age having not done f**k all - with all too many regretting that fact.

Live and let live, and live and let die - is my motto - and a poke in the eye for Nanny.

Agreed. Which is why I want to live and not be wiped off the road by some fat leather clad loony who thinks he's Joey Dunlop.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In conclusion- yes a cancelation would lead to less deaths, and more to the point, i believe, less inconveince for a few weeks a year but........

i wonder how many have considered the other side of the coin

Amazing. Yet another who honestly believes that a few deaths and amputations are a reasonable price to pay if it keeps the manx economy ticking along.

No read the post, im saying that the loss of revenue is 1 of MANY factors- not the sole factor as you are implying.

if the events stop-I personally think the loss of community event such as TT/MGP with all of its associated fun, excitement, and atmsophere would be a far greater loss than any financial losses. Once its gone its gone. We cant say in 10 years, when nothing has filled the gapping hole brought about by its death- "bugger me that TT was actually alright, it brought a bit of excitement and much needed fun to the island, now we've got nothing"- which mark my words, WILL be said! Look at the current situation re- current entertainment on the IOM. plenty of lamenting from all, about the the good old days!

QUOTE (Albert Tatlock @ Sep 3 2009, 06:16 PM)

The sad thing is, all too many people die at a ripe old age having not done f**k all - with all too many regretting that fact.

Live and let live, and live and let die - is my motto - and a poke in the eye for Nanny.

Agreed. Which is why I want to live and not be wiped off the road by some fat leather clad loony who thinks he's Joey Dunlop.

Fair point slim. I too have a problem with the wreckless riding on open roads. But deaths on open roads and racing deaths on closed roads are two different things. People can't base your arguement on opposing the events because of the death toll on closed roads during racing, then switch it to include deaths on open roads due to wrecklessness of the general public. Wreckless driving/riding happens 365 days a year, just because accidents happen during TT/MGP it doesnt make them any more or less acceptable than any other time of year.

Fair point slim. I too have a problem with the wreckless riding on open roads. But deaths on open roads and racing deaths on closed roads are two different things. People can't base your arguement on opposing the events because of the death toll on closed roads during racing, then switch it to include deaths on open roads due to wrecklessness of the general public. Wreckless driving/riding happens 365 days a year, just because accidents happen during TT/MGP it doesnt make them any more or less acceptable than any other time of year.

I personally think there's a connection between the fatality rates on our roads and the fact that it's a racing circuit. This weeks fatality has been reported as 'between Ballaugh and Kirk Michael'. That's on the course, right?

I ride on and off the course every weekend on my bike, I'm passed by motorcycles every few mins on a sunny sunday on the roads that form the tt course, but rarely see bikes on other roads. The course attracts fast riding, in my opinion, and I'm pretty sure the accident statistics vs other manx roads back that up.

I personally think there's a connection between the fatality rates on our roads and the fact that it's a racing circuit. This weeks fatality has been reported as 'between Ballaugh and Kirk Michael'. That's on the course, right?

I ride on and off the course every weekend on my bike, I'm passed by motorcycles every few mins on a sunny sunday on the roads that form the tt course, but rarely see bikes on other roads. The course attracts fast riding, in my opinion, and I'm pretty sure the accident statistics vs other manx roads back that up.

agree Slim- and this is my orginal point. Its not the competitor deaths that people are generally irked with, its the other factors, such as the accidents on open roads.

I agree that there is an undoubted rise in serious road accidents during TT/MGP on OPEN roads. If the anti-TT brigade want to take up a cause then this should be it. To my mind its the Only justifiable arguement for causing a stop to the events.

However, is it reason enough? i personally think not as accidents happen year round. You cant have a situation of double standards whereby any accident in TT/MGP is seen as worse as it involves bikers here for the event.

The standard of driving on the island is very poor at best, granted having extra traffic on the roads during the racing does not help and may raise the chance of a RTA. But not all Bike riders are idiots we to have a load of idiots in cars and the mountain road first thing in the morning is proof of this. Yes I'm into bikes, i used to ride bikes but not any more,its far safer as a bike rider to go racing and that's a fact. Maybe if more money and thought was put into educating drivers, then the chances of being wiped out reduced. Also it may be a time to think about reducing the amount of cars on the roads.

As for the fatality this week, I'm not sure of the facts but from whats just been shown on TV it looks like the van pulled out into the path of the bike.

its far safer as a bike rider to go racing and that's a fact.

No. No it's not. It's not even close to being a fact.

Do you ride a bike, fancy a lap in the moaning dodging all the Keyboarders that spend all their time on forums slagging anything off, then driving to work half asleep in the morning.

Do you ride a bike, fancy a lap in the moaning dodging all the Keyboarders that spend all their time on forums slagging anything off, then driving to work half asleep in the morning.

What a larf, you slag off everything that's not motorcycle related on this forum!

Brilliant, after tirelessly arguing how safe motorcycling is, you no longer ride because you're scared. You can't make this shit up, you're unreal!

slieau dhoo: Like I said, I think the fact its a course makes the safety record worse all year round, not just during the TT/MGP. Try cycling or walking on any part of the course on a sunny sunday, it's pretty hairy. Then move off the course and notice the difference.

What a larf, you slag off everything that's not motorcycle related on this forum!

Brilliant, after tirelessly arguing how safe motorcycling is, you no longer ride because you're scared. You can't make this shit up, you're unreal!

slieau dhoo: Like I said, I think the fact its a course makes the safety record worse all year round, not just during the TT/MGP. Try cycling or walking on any part of the course on a sunny sunday, it's pretty hairy. Then move off the course and notice the difference.

I no longer ride on open roads not because I'm scared of my own ability to ride a bike, just scared of the fuckwit car drivers on Manx roads.

And as for cyclist are you one of the many fuckwits that ride 3 or 4 abreast hogging the roads

I can enjoy my bikes by racing or doing track days and know I have far more chance of not having an accident

I no longer ride on open roads not because I'm scared of my own ability to ride a bike, just scared of the fuckwit car drivers on Manx roads.

And as for cyclist are you one of the many fuckwits that ride 3 or 4 abreast hogging the roads

I can enjoy my bikes by racing or doing track days and know I have far more chance of not having an accident

You live in fantasy land; please take a picture the next time you see any cyclists riding 4 abreast. It just doesn't happen. There are too many cars, I'll give you that. Cars kill motorcyclists, I'll give you that too. Safer to race round a track than drive on the road? I don't think so. I doubt your insurance company would agree either.

'more chance of not having an accident'. Beautiful.

You live in fantasy land; please take a picture the next time you see any cyclists riding 4 abreast. It just doesn't happen. There are too many cars, I'll give you that. Cars kill motorcyclists, I'll give you that too. Safer to race round a track than drive on the road? I don't think so. I doubt your insurance company would agree either.

'more chance of not having an accident'. Beautiful.

Ask any Bike rider.

I hope Keyboarder likes the picture, doubt he will post it though.

Archived