[BBC News] Manx Grand Prix races will start

Newsbot

obviously you don't have an ounce of sympathy with anything that relates to bad news or misfortune

The fact that I don't liberally sprinkle posts with fatuous messages of empty condolence bears no relevance to my level of sympathy.

wouldn't it be better all round if you stayed away from these topics.

That might make it a tiny bit easier for you to not have people dwell on these things. But not much. There's plenty on here who share my views in this area.

The only person that thrives on death and misery is you, your also probably the child that ripped the heads off the dolls

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Granted, but how about putting it across in a nicer way.

And yes, all this death and injury isn't nice, but the way it's discussed on here sometimes is very direct and graphic, and I would rather it be dealt with more sympathetically - And I don't mean brushed under the carpet before anyone jumps in on me.

He's not 'thriving' on anything.

He's only pointing out the real cost of this 'entertainment' and the moral issues surrounding it.

Unfortunately from such an entrenched and judgemental position that it stifles, rather than stimulates, reasonable discussion.

Granted, but how about putting it across in a nicer way.

And yes, all this death and injury isn't nice, but the way it's discussed on here sometimes is very direct and graphic, and I would rather it be dealt with more sympathetically - And I don't mean brushed under the carpet before anyone jumps in on me.

But it is brushed under the carpet, recall the outrage when the recent death was reported? In particular an eyewitness acount that was quoted. Much squeaking.

To my mind, any issue with a high toll cannot be adequately discussed or indeed even understood with euphemisms.

A lot of people - and this is not particularly aimed at any pro or anti race faction need to understand the reality and the true consequences.

He's only pointing out the real cost of this 'entertainment' and the moral issues surrounding it.

Unfortunately from such an entrenched and judgemental position that it stifles, rather than stimulates, reasonable discussion.

No more entrenched that the other side.

I certainly don't advocate that it should be brushed under the carpet. But I do ask that it's discussed or debated in a sensible way so as to obtain the best and most informed views from all sides.

This isn't much to ask, but when you get posters that deliberately go out of their way to provoke, then it takes away any impact that a sensible discussion/debate could offer.

Is this too much to ask of any topic !!

"We regret to announce the death of a competitor around the TT Mountain Circuit today. Our deepest condolences to his family anf friends. Our thougts are with them at this time........... Right then who's up for another race?"

Spot on Xpert.

Out will come all the usual platitudes - he died doing what he loved, nothing could have been done, please close your public roads and cough up lots of money so we can keep doing what we want to do.

Some questions: - what insurance does a rider need to race - does the insurance have to have minimum amounts of cover for injury, disablement or death?

How much does this insurance cost? I can only assume it is vastly underpriced!

I am increasingly concerned about the stark contrast between say the building trade where health & safety officials are continually demanding an improvement in safety standards, accident rates etc and the Road Racing Organizations on the Island.

I cannot understand why they are allowed, sponsored, encouraged to hold events year after year with such an apalling safety record and seemingly no expectation of improvement. They can demand specification changes to the bikes, to the course etc etc etc, but seem not to be doing this to get the death toll down.

I don't want to continually hear about tragedy on our roads and hear about it being justified as inevitable. It is not, it is a deliberate decision by the Road Racing Organizations not to take action - I increasingly find that totally unacceptable.

I think he is thriving though, as i pointed out earlier he rushed on here as soon as the death was announced to make a smart arse comment about it, almost as if he was pleased it had happened

He certainly wasn't "pointing out the real cost of this 'entertainment' and the moral issues surrounding it".. :

Well here's to a safe and dry MGP ;)

Yeah, in your dreams, someone killed at Kerrowmoar today. 38 year old Richard Bartlett. The carnage continues.

I see what you're saying, but to clarify my previous post, I was refering in general to Kbs previous topics some weeks ago regarding the human cost.

That's where he raised the

the real cost of this 'entertainment' and the moral issues surrounding it

I think it was in relation to info released at the inquest and then published in the paper.

... and wouldn't it be better all round if you stayed away from these topics.

I realise this is an ironic request, but will you please stop trying to get people to not post things on this forum that you don't like?

If I remember correctly you only joined this forum to try to get the TT deathsweep thread removed. Someone else slags off the TT so you threaten that you know their home address and will pop round with your mates. You claim copyright law infringement and throw in "police background" when you want pictures of your friends driving dangerously removed, and now yet again you're telling someone to not post things you don't like. Is that the only way you can counter an argument? Tell them to stop, or use bullshit to try to scare them into stopping?

If keyboarder's contributions are considered callous and sick, the same can be said for someone who actually supports and enjoys violent death guaranteeing road races.

Get off your bloody soapbox and read the posts first, and then you will see that I don't have a problem in discussing anything, but I do have a problem in the nasty way things are depicted and reported on here sometimes.

I, like you have a right of choice, and I am also entitled to make a comment about how I perceive someone’s written reply.

Whether they act on it or not is up to them, and certainly not up to me. I am just putting across my view. Just as you are yours now.

Christ, you don't for one minute believe I can change anything by posting on here do you :D

And for the record, I joined this site on the back of a request from one of your Mods who didn't like the way things were going back in 2007 with regard to that topic. That Topic, which is as far as I'm concerned, dead and buried now thank god :angry:

Archived