Martyn Quayle Seeks Maths Tutor

Newsbut

From Energy FM

TT 2009 - Global TV reach appears to fall

Fri, 28 Aug 2009

Latest figures from the Department of Tourism and Leisure appear to show that television coverage of the TT was broadcast to fewer homes around the globe this year.

According to the DTL, footage of this year’s races was broadcast to a global audience of nearly 210 million households.

This year saw UK production company North One take over coverage of the TT.

Local company Greenlight Television, which had held the contract since 2001, lost out when it was put out to tender last year.

The DTL says there was increased global distribution and strong media coverage of 2009 TT, with 35 countries carrying the full international TV highlights package.

The figure of 210 million homes is contained in a press release issued by the Department this week.

A similar statement issued following the 2007 TT races, says coverage by Greenlight was broadcast to 700 million homes worldwide – around 500 million higher than the figure given for this year. :o

Are you complaining that 700 million is 490 million more than 210 million and that saying this is close to 500 million is sloppy journalism?

I wonder if like is being compared with like. Increased global distribution has resulted in a collapse in viewing - seems something is being spun!

I'm sure that everyone on the planet watched it.

In the farthest regions of the globe, indigenous people even made their own televisions out of bones, stones, wood and animal skins in order to view the TT coverage.

Just ask Ann Reynolds...

"I am very reassured that the decline is less than what we had been forecasting (but didn't mention when the money was up for grabs). We expect a dramatic increase in viewers next year if our revised 2010 budget is approved ".

Is that why he spends so much time fire-fighting.

or is that why he keeps on saying his department budget is in the red

Archived