Equality And Discrimination

Moghrey Mie

It seems to me things like disabled access etc are very poor in the IOM and attitudes are patronising.

The DTI consulted on an Employment Equality Bill in 2008 and still there is nothing coming forward.

In Northern Ireland it is illegal to discriminate against people (not just in employment)

Complaints and advice are dealt with by the Equality Commission there.

www.equalityni.org

Isn't it about time the IOM government made a move into the 21st century?

Freedom to Flourish- but not for everybody

Sorry this is a bit off topic but it reminded me I'd heard Manx workshop for the disabled has just made 50% of it's workforce redundant - anybody know anything about this?

it just goes to show how equal things really are, ANYBODY can get laid off.

It has been a topic before, but I am amazed at the number of able bodied people who see fit to park in disabled parking bays. I took my wheelchair-bound mum into town yesterday and parked in one of the bays on Victoria Street. First difficulty was that as she was the passenger, I had to negotiate a wheelchair and getting her into it in the stream of traffic coming down from Prospect Hill and then watched as a man parked in the disabled bay in front of me (very badly as it happens) who bounded out of the car and into MT.

The solution?

One, put some disabled car parking bays on the left so that the disabled passenger can be got out onto the pavement without risking life and limb; and two, start enforcing use of these bays by non-disabled badge holders.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but it reminded me I'd heard Manx workshop for the disabled has just made 50% of it's workforce redundant - anybody know anything about this?

I have heard this too - 6 have been made redundant. This is disgusting. This facility provides a service that the Government should be providing. What a shame the only area we give full equality in is redundancy.

I have heard this too - 6 have been made redundant. This is disgusting.

well better to sack 6 then keep them employed for 6 months then have to sack the lot as thay bust

Archived