Petrol Prices On The Iom

somewhatdamaged

I see all is well in Slim world. Gazza's points are the tip of the iceberg. The problem is the pathetic UK government have now totally screwed the UK economy (well, Gordon Brown has). Now he is increasing taxes on fuel using the "green" excuse. Slim FUEL IS NOT CHEAP IN THE UK! In fact, it is amongst the most expensive in the world. This raises the cost to UK consumers and basically kills exports. And yet they want to raise it further!!!!! EEJITS! It is a spent government who are grasping at straws. They need to go.

Cambon, you're wrong, again. The UK's fuel price isn't even the most expensive in europe, it's way down the chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_and_...age_and_pricing

It's still too cheap. It's irreplaceable, we depend on it entirely, and yet it's cheaper than Coca Cola.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your missing the point entirely. The way your business is operating now is because of the current price of fuel. If fuel was significantly cheaper, you'd have bigger, more powerful machines that would work quicker, or more of them. If fuel was significantly more expensive you'd do less, charge more, or have more efficient machines.

You're looking at it from your perspective, which is understandable, your operating a business. But your business is where it's at today because of the current fuel price. If the fuel price changes significantly, so will your business.

hell slim u do live in a strange world. i think your missing the point.

lets take a 3.5 ton machine its that size for a reason because u can fit the machine into small places,

if fuel was cheaper i woulden go and get a 12ton machine to do the job because it woulden fit.

u use the machine for the right job not how much fuel it uses.

so in turn on putting the right machine for the job makes that job the most fuel efficient method.

so really u are talking out of your ass on that one

on you statement that means if fuel prices rise then i would be selling the 12ton machine and useing a 3.5ton machine to do that work :huh

intill thay make machines run on something diffrent than the fuel we use now then we will allways be doing it this way what ever the cost.

in the end it is you that will be paying for it.

You ask what is the alternative to move a digger between sites? If the price of fuel goes up, either your range decreases or your price goes up, or you use a more efficient method of transport.

My point is, you have to change. You rely on fuel, fuel is finite, you have to change sooner or later.

thats a crap alternative.

u said i could use less fuel and it was easy to do. u cant decreases your distance that does not make sense as u will be loseing work so thats a no go.

so slim how do i transport a machine from site A-B at say £1.19ppl

and then in a year the fuel price is say £2.40ppl.

how do u save fuel then.

u mention efficient method of transport. i would say i use the most efficient method of transport that is viable in this day and age.

u cant decreases the range because u would lose work.

you said the price gos up. well thats not about saveing fuel is it. but that is what happins.

all u do is put the price up. which is effecting the public.

i would really love for u to be running a comapny when the biggest cost to the company is fuel use.

you really dont have a clue on this

on you statement that means if fuel prices rise then i would be selling the 12ton machine and useing a 3.5ton machine to do that work :huh

Er, that's exactly what I said. You'd use different machines, you'd do less, OR you'd charge more.

intill thay make machines run on something diffrent than the fuel we use now then we will allways be doing it this way what ever the cost.

in the end it is you that will be paying for it.

How do you think they did things before petrol and machinery that runs off it was freely available? These are basically labour saving devices, there are alternatives, they're just not cost effective. Why? Because of the price of petrol. Everything comes back to the price of petrol because thats currently what drives our modern world.

The price of petrol isn't fixed, and currently it's on an upwards trend, and that's not likely to stop. Do you think we'll stop using diggers? No, but the digger industry will have to change. You're the one that has to be flexible, it's not going to be possible to fix the price of fuel for ever.

thats a crap alternative.

u said i could use less fuel and it was easy to do. u cant decreases your distance that does not make sense as u will be loseing work so thats a no go.

so slim how do i transport a machine from site A-B at say £1.19ppl

and then in a year the fuel price is say £2.40ppl.

how do u save fuel then.

u mention efficient method of transport. i would say i use the most efficient method of transport that is viable in this day and age.

u cant decreases the range because u would lose work.

Your range is based on the fuel price. If the price goes up, your range may go down, and you may charge more. People may have to hire digger drivers based on a smaller range. When people didn't have cars, the range of the employment market was much less, people would work rarely more than 3 miles away from their homes. Now people live 30-100 miles away from their work, because of the cost of fuel relative to their earnings. We survived back then, we can again, we may have to.

i would really love for u to be running a comapny when the biggest cost to the company is fuel use.

you really dont have a clue on this

I think I have more of a clue than someone who expects their biggest cost to remain a constant.

To summerize: your business is where it's at today because of the fuel price. If the price changes, so must your business.

manshimajin: I think we're discussing different things. The UK govt seems committed to the 'five rises' tax plan, and your suggesting an alternative to tax rises where I'm saying if those rises are inevitable then they're targeted at the wrong parts of the economy.

What is new !!!! :D

But once the issue of increasing tax is raised IMO it is vitally important not to think of it as the only way forward.

I continue to feel that governments, unlike individuals who care about these issues, are quite hypocritical about taxes on booze, fags and fuel. They see them as an easy touch that can be justified by 'social responsibility'. But in reality they are really interested in how much money they can raise through them not their beneficial effects. If people stopped driving, smoking and drinking there would be panic in Whitehall.

More generally though IMO increasing taxes and excise of any sort should be the last recourse in an economic crisis. Get rid of Trident first! Now that is REALLY socially responsible.

Cambon, you're wrong, again. The UK's fuel price isn't even the most expensive in europe, it's way down the chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_and_...age_and_pricing

It's still too cheap. It's irreplaceable, we depend on it entirely, and yet it's cheaper than Coca Cola.

Eh? In your link, the list of 80 (or so) countries, I counted only 13 with a higher petrol price, and they included Islands like Sierra Leone and Bermuda. This is supposed to be a global economy in global times. The uk can hardly compete.

We don't depnd on it entirely. However, it is a good excuse to tax people. As are speed cameras, alcohol and fags.

You can work without fuel, it's just your current methods are based on cheap hydrocarbons.

forgot about this one, so slim how do work without fuel.

really going to enjoy this answer

Er, that's exactly what I said. You'd use different machines, you'd do less, OR you'd charge more.

ha ha ha. so just to make sure im right here if fuel price gos up i will use smaller machine.

let me ask u this.

what is more fuel efficent for say 90% of the jobs it does.

2.8 shogun truck engine or a 4.2 amazon

12 ton digger or a 3.5ton digger

100hp tractor or 160hp tractor

The price of petrol isn't fixed, and currently it's on an upwards trend, and that's not likely to stop. Do you think we'll stop using diggers? No, but the digger industry will have to change. You're the one that has to be flexible, it's not going to be possible to fix the price of fuel for ever.

i never said it was going to be fixed, you were the one that said use less and its easy to do, so far u havent gave one gd thing that is viable and cost affective to use less so still waiting

I think I have more of a clue than someone who expects their biggest cost to remain a constant.

i never said thay would remain constant. but u said i could use less easly. im still waiting

I don't know what's so hard to understand.

What would you do if the fuel price was doubled from Monday?

I'll take that as a question to everyone as its a good one.

Personally i'd buy a nicer car as the prices would drop dramatically, probably one that ran on LPG (if that doubled it would be around £1 a litre.)

I don't know what's so hard to understand.

What would you do if the fuel price was doubled from Monday?

bloody hell slim if u cant answer your only quastions that u ask then why ask them.

this was about u saying i could save fuel. no the price going up.

if it doubled 2mro id be locking the stuff up under ground , because the stuff would be getting robbed every bloody min

bloody hell slim if u cant answer your only quastions that u ask then why ask them.

if it doubled 2mro id be locking the stuff up under ground , because the stuff would be getting robbed every bloody min

I can answer my questions, I just don't seem to be getting through, so I was trying a different tack. I meant what would your business do if fuel price doubled.

I can answer my questions, I just don't seem to be getting through, so I was trying a different tack. I meant what would your business do if fuel price doubled.

just charge extra

Archived