Be Nice To The Temp!

Tonto

Rox, I was only a bit concerned about any possible comeback on the poor sod who's still stuck working in the place.

There are some places that treat their staff like trash, that's true. The trouble is how to deal with these people?

People mostly either a) need the work or B) need the reference, so they normally keep their mouths shut and on an on it goes. You're right.

Maybe this is where nameing and shaming on the forums might help ;-)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it does in deed sound like the merry folk at clinchs house.  I dont think its an accurate reflection of the attitudes within the company though, the french department dont make an effort with anyone in the company its nothing against temps.

That was certainly my recollection! :ph34r:

Mine too, and dont forget the very friendly people in Tax, LOL

Can I just clarify.

Was this girl just temping or was it more of a work placement type situation where she actually took on the job with a career in mind.

If it was just for money then is there really any moral or social obligation to look after her?

It may not have been nice of them but I'm not sure a complaint would get far.

It maybe different if she is genuinely a potential future employee.

How would they know if they didn't talk to her in the first place? How would they know if she was a 'potential future employee'? Why should it matter? They certainly fluffed that test bigtime anyway!

Thanks for the thoughts Rox, but I'll bide my time and will probably wait for that golden corporate spouse blonde moment round a table at a company function..!

If it was just for money...? sorry, dont we all work 'just for money' or is there something else going on in workplaces round the IOM that I'm missing?!

I spend ages in my job making sure that temps/students/work placements get as much out of the experience as we get work done. I'm not denying that we do save some of the more exciting jobs like archiving - but they are never ever left on their own to do the job or to wander round the building looking for files (or the lavvies!). Thats probably why we actually get people phoning up asking if they can come back! That and cakes on Friday...

It doesn't take much for decency and courtesy, a bit of patience and understanding. I'm reminded of the temp one company employed who was so peeved by her treatment that she put all the filing in the shredder for 2 weeks!! Certainly got rid of that company's backlog! :D

Have you got that temp's number? I've got some filing she might like.

I think your daughter's experience is terrible. If it is any consolation she is out of there and the people who treated her so badly have to stay! I think I know where you are talking about and I've heard tales about the French Dept there before (I think Fizzbomb might have temped there at one point - I'm surprised she's not posted on this thread already).

Someone asked if they were had any moral or legal obligation to treat her better, and of course they were. It is a legal obligation to ensure that staff know of things like fire escapes, are aware of any health and safety issues, and receive proper training on any equipment they use.

I'd argue as human beings they are also under a moral obligation to treat colleagues civily - even those that are there for a short term.

Your daughter's problems suggest that there are serious problems with the way that department is managed. Not only the neglect of basics liek health and safety, but how do they know that the work she did was up to scratch - if they haven't been keeping an eye out for her. (She's gone elsewhere now, so any errors she made through lack of support will have to be sorted by them.)

it does in deed sound like the merry folk at clinchs house.  I dont think its an accurate reflection of the attitudes within the company though, the french department dont make an effort with anyone in the company its nothing against temps.

That was certainly my recollection! :ph34r:

Mine too, and dont forget the very friendly people in Tax, LOL

Oh yeah they were just the best. There was only one good thing about the French department...well two actually and very pert they were too!!

There are some places that treat their staff like trash, that's true. The trouble is how to deal with these people?

I feel like that's a personal dig at me!

There are ways to deal with these people, make them work hard and destroy their self esteem. It always works well for me and they don't moan about being treated like trash!

I like to employ family, they tend to be more honest, work harder and don't mind when you tell them that you can't afford to pay them.

Stav.

They're not allowed to put me in a nursing home. I wouldn't let Mama Stav go in a nursing home, I think old people are more useful if you keep them working.

Anyway, they couldn't afford to keep me in a nursing home, I don't pay them that much!

Stav.

The temp I was thinking of also put all the work given to her in the back of a cupboard at another job, and they had to pay staff extra to go back and re-do it all. Once they discovered the paperwork, of course! :)

Another friend of mine who was temping was told to slow down because she was making the rest of the staff look bad!

I have to say i have not had any bad experiences to date for the temping I have done. Personally i would not put up with treatment like that, but i appriciate that many don't have as much choice and good for said daughter for sticking it out - chalk it up as experience i guess :/

As for health and safety ramifications, assuming the island is under the same act as the uk, there is certainly ramifications about no H&S training and the company has breached the act by not supplying this (Health and Safety at work act 1974) As far as I can make out there is numerous sections of the act that could be cited as a breach occuring, maybe handy if you want to take this further.

I hope this helps (doubly so as i have an exam on Monday on the Health and Safety at work Act!!)

Source: http://www.healthandsafety.co.uk/haswa.htm

I was on a temp contract for 2 weeks before my current job - they were rather moronic - Ignored me for most of the first week except when giving me work and then not teaching me other jobs when I'd ran out of it leaving me sitting doing nothing from 12 - 5 most days and complaining when I asked for more work or training. Needless to say - when something better was offered... I was outta there!

Archived