Sleepy Isle Of Man Moves Into The Space Age

Declan

Sleepy Isle of Man moves into the space age

I didn't know Pilates was invented here.

yep, Joe Pilates was at Knockaloe in WW1

http://ezinearticles.com/?Pilates-Develops...I&id=394350

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fa...algy/intern.htm

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fu...gw1922/ch03.htm

(Frances strikes again :) )

There's loads of stuff if you just google knockaloe, including a few hits on items of woodwork which appear in auction catalogues, my sister recently bought a little box in a s/h shop inscribed 'knockaloe' inside the lid

"More than half the population are “come-overs” — outsiders. Crime, drugs, drunkeness and violence have increased and people no longer leave their doors unlocked."

So that'll be the comeovers fault then. :rolleyes:

Just lock your door,problem solved.

Breaking News

in another first for the Isle of Man, a little rocky outcrop in the Irish Sea, it has been announced that Chief Minister Arkwright will be accompanied by Treasurer Allan Bell and a little known reality star Sammy Miaows on an especially chartered mission by the Space Shuttle to visit the International Space Station next month.

"The endless vacuum of space is a zone of vital economic importance to our economy" says Chief Minister Arkwright "much like the economic significance of the vacuums inside the 100 watt light bulbs that are available for purchase in my shop. A significant first that we will be establishing on our trip will be a series of experiments on the effects of weightlessness on kippers. We are hoping that Ms Miaow will sing a song for the crew of the Space Station whist we are there and that she will use the occasion to smash a bottle of champagne against something. I am sure that Manx taxpayers will be thrilled with this new initiative. For my part I am looking forward to putting in an expense claim based on the 100,000 miles we are expected to travel on this journey to promote our island state."

Terry Cringle. Makes me want to gargle glass when I see his blathering pointless opinions.

Other than that I thought it was refreshing to get some media exposure that didn't mention tax haven. The Times economic and business writers should borrow some of the travel writers research notes.

Other than that I thought it was refreshing to get some media exposure that didn't mention tax haven. The Times economic and business writers should borrow some of the travel writers research notes.

Ermmm...."It is an approach that has reaped rewards. The tax haven has enjoyed 26 consecutive years of growth"

"The Isle of Man’s 1,030-year-old Tynwald, which is the world’s oldest parliament, is thought to have been the first to give women the vote. Joseph Pilates, a German, devised the exercise regime that bears his name while interned in the island in the First World War. It also gave sanctuary to Radio Caroline, Britain’s first pirate station, in the 1960s.

That innovative spirit lives on."

Doesn't sound that innovative, certainly not in a grand way, given the examples.

Archived