hagar the horrible

Clearly adopting the Corpy model.

10. Gather seaweed with JCB.

20. Pile in big mounds.

30. Cover with sand.

40. Sea destroys mound.

50. Seaweed spreads out.

60. Goto 10

I'm glad somebody brought up this subject. Has anybody noticed the damage this practice has done to Douglas Bay? There is a growing area of exposed rocks from the end of Loch Promenade through to the Castle Mona.

Did Douglas Corporation investigate longshore drift, before starting to pile up the sand? It might be easy to remove the seaweed but it won't be easy to replace the beach.

Port Erin comissioners men raked the seaweed off Port Erin beach this morning between 9-30 and 10-30, the strong wind driven tide was coming in, less than 1 hour later the beach had more seaweed on it than before it was raked, what was the point?who makes the decision? what a complete waste of resourses and ratepayers money :(

When you rang the Commissioners office about it what did they say?

I'm glad somebody brought up this subject. Has anybody noticed the damage this practice has done to Douglas Bay? There is a growing area of exposed rocks from the end of Loch Promenade through to the Castle Mona.

Did Douglas Corporation investigate longshore drift, before starting to pile up the sand? It might be easy to remove the seaweed but it won't be easy to replace the beach.

Exactly the same in Port Erin, the beach is increasingly stoney, the comissioners keep moving the sand which is then washed or blown away, A number of years ago I warned the then chairman of PE comissioners that our lovely fine sand had been deposited during the last ice age and that it is not a renewable resource but to no avail, they also remove sand from the beach to make sand bags, this I reported to the enviromental protection people who informed me by Email that it is not an offence to remove sand from the foreshore, I have always thought that it is indeed an offence? perhaps Port Erin comissioners are above the law?

Port Erin comissioners men raked the seaweed off Port Erin beach this morning between 9-30 and 10-30, the strong wind driven tide was coming in, less than 1 hour later the beach had more seaweed on it than before it was raked, what was the point?who makes the decision? what a complete waste of resourses and ratepayers money :(

I phoned PE comissioners office at about noon and was told that the clerk is on holiday and that his deputy would call me back, I have not as yet had the courtesy of a reply.

I phoned PE comissioners office at about noon and was told that the clerk is on holiday and that his deputy would call me back, I have not as yet had the courtesy of a reply.

Maybe he's just busy, by definition that means he can't get back to you no matter how courteous he is.

A phrase concerning mountains and molehills springs to mind ...

Clearly adopting the Corpy model.

10. Gather seaweed with JCB.

20. Pile in big mounds.

25. Gosub 70

30. Cover with sand.

40. Sea destroys mound.

50. Seaweed spreads out.

60. Goto 10

70. if sum (top + bottom beach) <= 7 piles move up beach out of tide reach.

80. if sum (top + bottom beach) => 7 piles move within tidal reach.

90. Return

Amended

The sand movement is to do with the harbour changing water movement rather than the digger pilling the sand.

Maybe he's just busy, by definition that means he can't get back to you no matter how courteous he is.

A phrase concerning mountains and molehills springs to mind ...

A Joni Mitchell song springs to mind.

You never know what you've got till it's gone.

Archived