Are The Entry Requirements For The Tt/mgp Too Lax?

Chinahand

Are the entry requirements for the TT too lax?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My concern is the ages of the " Classic Riders ".

Whilst no-one wants to crash, the older riders bodies can't take the trauma of an accident as much as the younger ones.

Plus their reaction times must be slower .

Imo anyway.

I’ve often wondered whether or not they should allow team members to put up pit boards around the course, as this to me could spur a rider on even faster if they felt they were lagging a bit or someone was catching them!!

I’ve often thought that possibly a rider who is going at a steady pace and within their own comfort zone, may try that little bit harder and take greater risk in order to maintain or improve their position on the road?

That's why it's called 'Motorcycle Racing' as opposed to 'Motorcycle Tootling Along' numbnuts.

Yes it is racing, but around the Mountain Course it's a time trial, and as such, it's the time for each individual rider on their own, and not head to head on the road with other racers!!

What I was getting at, is that an individual will go at their own pace, and in their own safety zone. However, if a board appears part way round the course as it does, to suggest they are being caught on corrected time, then that individual might up the pace over and above their own ability. It must make an effect on the riders, and could, and I mean could contribute to mistakes and possible incidents.

Oh, and thank you keyboarder ;)

That's why it's called 'Motorcycle Racing' as opposed to 'Motorcycle Tootling Along' numbnuts.

Yes it is racing, but around the Mountain Course it's a time trial, and as such, it's the time for each individual rider on their own, and not head to head on the road with other racers!!

What I was getting at, is that an individual will go at their own pace, and in their own safety zone. However, if a board appears part way round the course as it does, to suggest they are being caught on corrected time, then that individual might up the pace over and above their own ability. It must make an effect on the riders, and could, and I mean could contribute to mistakes and possible incidents.

I look forward to hearing all about 'heightless climbing' too.

I wish you would give more credit to the riders, organisers and everyone involved who are very much aware of their own skills and abilities, those of others, or in some cases the lack of experience of some on the TT course. These people are not idiots and don't go out with a deathwish, nor do they send people out who are likely to be incapable of riding the course.

Many people try to extend their own ability in whatever they do, it's often called ambition, effort, and challenge in the workplace, but sometimes in other areas of life it involves daring or just wishing to seek to undertake things that involve risk or danger and/or just enjoying being emotionally aroused and worked up by such challenges etc. - and very many other words and phrases that describe interesting human beings who do not want to sit cocooned in a life-barrier of cotton wool like you.

You could limit the speeds of bikes to 100mph, but some people would still inevitably be killed - by oil spills, mechanical failures or animals on the track etc. People got killed on the course when average speeds were less than 45mph.

Answer me please. What is your real problem with other people doing what they want to do, even if that involves only risking themselves? what is your mission in all this? what is even your right to say it? when it is the freedom of choice of others, and not you?

This self-righteous and arrogant thinking seeking to control my and other people's lives and destinies, when not harming others, whilst inferring such behaviour as motorcycle racing is childlike or irresponsible, really gets on my tits. Jebus - forget about the motorcycle race - join the human race - and realise, even if you personally don't like it or approve of it, that other people are willing, able and have the right to take responsibility for their own lives, even if that involves some risk.

This self-righteous and arrogant thinking seeking to control my and other people's lives and destinies, when not harming others

but spectators and marshals have been killed too, so there is a risk of harming others, but it is less now than used to be.

This self-righteous and arrogant thinking seeking to control my and other people's lives and destinies, when not harming others

but spectators and marshals have been killed too, so there is a risk of harming others, but it is less now than used to be.

I wish you would give more credit to the riders, organisers and everyone involved...

...that includes the marshals and spectators who are also aware, or are made sure they are made very aware, of the dangers of marshalling and spectating too.

personally I'm disinterested in the riders who are killed/injured - my criticism is that for 48 weeks of the year the course still acts as a racetrack - it is like leaving a loaded pistol within reach of a child - the temptation is too great for the safety of others. No traffic calming measures can be employed, some sections leading into normally restricted sections have even been altered to increase race speeds no matter what effect they produce outside of race periods.

I wish you would give more credit to the riders, organisers and everyone involved...

...that includes the marshals and spectators who are also aware, or are made sure they are made very aware, of the dangers of marshalling and spectating too.

Tell that to the people at the 26th.

i don't think people who watch the racing ( considering that some take their children with them ) have any expectation of possibly ending up in a mortuary!! and i doubt spectators consider themselves 'involved', just watching does not imply involvement. if i lived on bray hill should i be expecting to get a bike in my garden?? as i'm involved by living there??

i don't think people who watch the racing ( considering that some take their children with them ) have any expectation of possibly ending up in a mortuary!! and i doubt spectators consider themselves 'involved', just watching does not imply involvement. if i lived on bray hill should i be expecting to get a bike in my garden?? as i'm involved by living there??

Who does have any expectation of suddenly ending up in a mortuary, even getting in the car in the morning, or of being one the 80 people who slip on a bar of soap each year, crack their heads and die?

If you live on Bray Hill or any other part of the course, since the TT has been run on the mountain circuit since 1911, the house has been bought/occupied with the full knowledge that the TT/MGP has run past it every year. Don't buy a house near Heathrow either, and then expect to be heard complaining about the noise or the just as unlikely possibility of finding a plane in your garden.

You need to put probability and risk into perspective in your life.

Who does have any expectation of suddenly ending up in a mortuary, even getting in the car in the morning, or of being one the 80 people who slip on a bar of soap each year, crack their heads and die?

If you live on Bray Hill or any other part of the course, since the TT has been run on the mountain circuit since 1911, the house has been bought/occupied with the full knowledge that the TT/MGP has run past it every year. Don't buy a house near Heathrow either, and then expect to be heard complaining about the noise or the just as unlikely possibility of finding a plane in your garden.

Was that a yes, then Albert? People living on the course should expect a bike in their garden? Like the ones at the top of Bray Hill? Or those in Kirk Michael? All part of life's rich tapestry, is it?

Was that a yes, then Albert? People living on the course should expect a bike in their garden? Like the ones at the top of Bray Hill? Or those in Kirk Michael? All part of life's rich tapestry, is it?

It was a no. It is highly unlikely that any one person will find a bike in their garden during racing, as highly unlikely that you will one day put risk into perspective and keep your beak out of seeking to control other people's lives. In fact there is far more chance of finding another vehicle in your garden over the remaining 48 weeks (given time and volume of traffic).

Have you not noticed the very many hay bales and padding around the course and their locations - and perhaps wondered what they are there for and perhaps that there might be a plan based on their locations?

I'm with you on this Albert, but it's a little like the smacking kids thread.

There has to be a point where folks actually agree to disagree.

If you don't want a bike in your garden during roads closed, or don't want to be hit by a bike whilst sitting on a hedge, then stay away and don't get involved, and don't buy a house on the course. Not sure what's difficult to understand or appreciate?

I'm with you on this Albert, but it's a little like the smacking kids thread.

There has to be a point where folks actually agree to disagree.

If you don't want a bike in your garden during roads closed, or don't want to be hit by a bike whilst sitting on a hedge, then stay away and don't get involved, and don't buy a house on the course. Not sure what's difficult to understand or appreciate?

i agree with with albert too regarding the freedom to choose, but i don't accept that because you are 'watching', you are 'involved'. i've watched a fight take place in bushys years back, and an RTC in santon even further back, but i would never claim i was 'involved' in either. to me those involved in the TT and MGP are the people directly involved with riders, their entourage and those that get given an official ID or title for the event, not joe public who just watch. if the spectators are involved?? i would expect them all to have to sign some sort form for insurance purposes or waving their rights etc..

Archived