Are The Entry Requirements For The Tt/mgp Too Lax?

Chinahand

Are the entry requirements for the TT too lax?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why oh why do people keep going on about this? If you don't like the races, or wish to be potentially injured/deceased then stay the feck away, if you do like the races and have no problem being potentially injured/deceased then watch and support them.....those involved in or spectating or marshalling the races SHOULD or DO know the risks so leave them be, and if they get injured or killed then that's the law of the jungle, a bit like brain damage from boxing, don't want brain damage, then don't box....simples

Boxing is a regulated sport - gloves, no below the belt etc. Literally millions of people compete using these regulations. Some people die as a result, some get injured.

Rugby is the same etc.

The question is whether the death toll as a result of these regulations is such that the regulations need to be changed.

IE is the situation with the TT/MGP similar to the way boxing was before the Marquis of Queensbury turned up with his rules.

Millions box, or play rugby or ski or whatever. Only hundreds ride in the TT or MGP - that puts the accident rate for the TT multiple thousands of times higher than for these sports.

This has been explained multiple times.

I suppose this is the point - I think it is unacceptable that it is basically guaranteed that two or so people will die every year out of the couple of hundred competitors that come to this Isle. The road racing fraternity seem to think it's fine. No changes are needed, just keep racing (or so this poll seems to show).

I really doubt that the authorities can allow that. I'm sure there were lots of bare nuckle fighters who wanted the Marquis of Queensbury to leave their sport alone - we love what we are doing, let us carry on as we want to do.

But today's road racers not only want to do what they want to do, they want the state to sponsor the racing, hand over the roads for them to use, pay for the hospital care, and provide the occupational and social support to those mangled when it goes wrong.

The rights to health and social security and the responsibilities to use grants of money and roads to the road racing community come back with responsibilities from the riders and most especially the race organizers.

The insurance levels required to race are ridiculously low etc etc.

Maybe I should start another poll - do you think the accident toll is acceptable and ask people to give suggestions as to what can be done to reduce them.

I just see time and time again people shrugging their shoulders and saying everything is fine with road racing on the IOM things don't need to change.

I believe that attitude will end the sport - and I do think that is a shame. The TT is a special part of the Island's culture - long may it continue - but that most definitely cannot mean killing two or more competitors a year.

Bare knuckle boxing had a risk rate that was socially unacceptable. Road racing on the Island kills riders at a rate thousands of times higher than boxing under the Queensbury rules.

Reforms are needed, to deny that is to be a frog in a boiling pan. Croak.

Boxing is a regulated sport - gloves, no below the belt etc. Literally millions of people compete using these regulations. Some people die as a result, some get injured.

I have to admit I have my doubts about boxing, not so much amateur boxing with the head guards etc and which is scored I think in a different way but professional boxing as I struggle to accept that any activity should be described as a sport where the intention is to go out to injure/hurt and knock out your opponent.

Bare knuckle boxing had a risk rate that was socially unacceptable. Road racing on the Island kills riders at a rate thousands of times higher than boxing under the Queensbury rules.

Although bare knuckle boxing has a much lower fatality rate and chance of brain damage even though in the olden days bouts could last 20-30 rounds as the majority of blows fall to the body. The regulation and safety improvements brought in to boxing have in effect made it much more lethal. So really we dont want the TT to follow boxings example otherwise we will be seeing more deaths in the future do to "improvements"

The rules are already stringent:

1. They must have a motorbike.

2. They must be prepared to pay an enormous amount of money to get it here.

3. They must be prepared to sleep in a swamp.

4. They must not complain after they've been killed.

5. There are no other rules.

....if they get injured or killed then that's the law of the jungle, a bit like brain damage from boxing, don't want brain damage, then don't box....simples

Really? The law of the jungle? I thought it was a Government backed sporting event?

So in retrospect your post is a little mindless.....

What the hell has that got to do with it, you're an idiot

....if they get injured or killed then that's the law of the jungle, a bit like brain damage from boxing, don't want brain damage, then don't box....simples

Really? The law of the jungle? I thought it was a Government backed sporting event?

So in retrospect your post is a little mindless.....

What the hell has that got to do with it, you're an idiot

QED

Archived