Religion - The Bible. Real Or Not Real?

Albert Tatlock

Religion - The Bible. Real or not real?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the recent coverage regarding the boy in Germany being named Jihad by his fanatic Muslim father and decided to put a poll up to see what peoples views are on religion.

Previous Forum

I then had a look around and found this site at the top of the list, but there are others about and there's some interesting reading dependant on which angle you're coming from. (note: avoid the one from Soulcast.com due to poor trustworthiness, vendor reliability and privacy statistics as per WOT Security scorecard)

Is the Bible real Blog

I'm not looking for any right or wrong answer as everyone has different viewpoints and gladly so, but it might assist someone who likes this sort of thing

I have however, carried this theme on and mentioned a few other questions for you to get your teeth into and you might want to answer some or even the lot.

1/ What proof exists over the previously stated big 3? Alternatively, what proof exists to show there isn't or is it just personal viewpoints and beliefs?

2/ Whose God is the best or is there only the one God? Can there be others?

3/ Why has religion appeared to play such a big part in depicting bad things like slavery, persecution and death? Is it being manipulated?

4/ Since God has been mentioned many times, is the Devil real? Again, what proof exists one way or another?

5/ If certain people believe in God, why would they get pleasure out of killing people?

6/ Will there ever be a way of peace between different religions?

(ps, don't expect an answer from me over the questions I've put forward)

I think it's a collection of theories, philosophical writings and folk stories told amongst communities and eventually written down and re-written thoughout history. I don't believe it to be an accurate hisorical record even though some of the poeple in it are likely to have been real people.

Not religious myself but my partner works with very sick / dying people and she says religion helps some to die more peacefully, so respect to religion for that (but not much else..)

What do you mean by asking whether it is true or false? There is a lot of stuff in the Bible, lots of different stories and many different people. Some people probably existed, some probably didn't, some certainly didn't (e.g. Adam and Eve). And then many of the stories may have a basis in fact - if Jesus was a real person but was just a normal man (as I am inclined to believe, rather than thinking he never existed) then he may have done some of the things that are mentioned in the Bible.

1/ What proof exists over the previously stated big 3? Alternatively, what proof exists to show there isn't or is it just personal viewpoints and beliefs?

I don't understand this question.

Best for who? A Jew would think that their God is best, a Muslim would think theirs is best, etc. for good reason. Of course there can be other Gods, why not? You can believe anything you like.

3/ Why has religion appeared to play such a big part in depicting bad things like slavery, persecution and death? Is it being manipulated?

Don't know what you mean again. And religion is all manipulating people. Just a pile of bullshit ideas and lies used to control people.

4/ Since God has been mentioned many times, is the Devil real? Again, what proof exists one way or another?

Depends what religion you believe in. Is Lucifer really the same as Satan, that's what I find interesting.

5/ If certain people believe in God, why would they get pleasure out of killing people?

Why wouldn't they? If I believed in the

what difference would that make to me wanting to kill people? Do you maybe mean APPARENTLY the Judaeo-Christian God set down that man should not kill?

Doubt it, they all have an unchangeable basis to their beliefs and there will always be the arch-fools (as opposed to the usual ones who just believe in a God) who take scripture by the letter have a hold over the religious.

What do you mean by asking whether it is true or false? There is a lot of stuff in the Bible, lots of different stories and many different people. Some people probably existed, some probably didn't, some certainly didn't (e.g. Adam and Eve). And then many of the stories may have a basis in fact - if Jesus was a real person but was just a normal man (as I am inclined to believe, rather than thinking he never existed) then he may have done some of the things that are mentioned in the Bible.

I don't understand this question.

Best for who? A Jew would think that their God is best, a Muslim would think theirs is best, etc. for good reason. Of course there can be other Gods, why not? You can believe anything you like.

Don't know what you mean again. And religion is all manipulating people. Just a pile of bullshit ideas and lies used to control people.

Depends what religion you believe in. Is Lucifer really the same as Satan, that's what I find interesting.

Why wouldn't they? If I believed in the

what difference would that make to me wanting to kill people? Do you maybe mean APPARENTLY the Judaeo-Christian God set down that man should not kill?

Doubt it, they all have an unchangeable basis to their beliefs and there will always be the arch-fools (as opposed to the usual ones who just believe in a God) who take scripture by the letter have a hold over the religious.

For what it's worth (and if any one is interested)

I believe that has to be some sort of supreme being (God?). To me that's the only logical explanation.

People can bang on about molecules colliding etc, big bang etc. but common sense tells you those molecules/atoms didn't come out of nowhere (nothing can come out of nowhere). Take it back as long as you like but someone/ something has to have been around for all eternity.

However I don't choose to worship this being, but I'm glad to be alive

I don't know. And that's ok, because we simply might not know yet. Who knows what lay before the Big Bang. Maybe we can't really consider what was before the Big Bang with respect to the measurement of time and using the laws of physics for this universe or reality. There are too many 'don't knows'. But simply because I cannot account for how the Big Bang happened doesn't mean it is common sense to conclude that a being created it. As an aside, if the supreme being created everything, who created it (him/her)?

Archived