International Plastic Bag Free Day

Moghrey Mie

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's all well and good doing away with placcy bags , but one of those "bags for life" isn't really going to last that long clearing up dogshit which is what I currently use supermarket placcy bags for .

Dont most people who clean up after their dogs use nappy sacks for the job? Shopshite and Moochers sell them pretty cheap.

I wouldnt imagine a supermarket bag wouldnt be very helpful for picking the crap up because if the perforation holes!

www.recyclenow.com

Find out what you can recycle and where?

Postcode not found

Sorry the postcode you entered (IM2) was not found.

Lots of information about plastic, packaging etc etc on www.recyclenow.com

Local information www.gov.im/dlge/waste

www.1010uk.org

...which is actually handy if you're a dildo and didn't realise the island has it's own website :lol:

What that website doesn't mention is that you can now recycle plastic bottles at the Middle River "Amenity site". And what happened to the "tip" or the "dump"?

Nothings changed on that score. Just keep trying to keep the tip out of the water when you're having a dump ;)

It's all well and good doing away with placcy bags , but one of those "bags for life" isn't really going to last that long clearing up dogshit which is what I currently use supermarket placcy bags for .

Dont most people who clean up after their dogs use nappy sacks for the job? Shopshite and Moochers sell them pretty cheap.

I wouldnt imagine a supermarket bag would be very helpful for picking the crap up because if the perforation holes!

I use nappy sacks for clearing up when I am walking the dogs, supermarket bags for bagging the stuff when collected in the garden.

Tip of the day: don't use cheap nappy sacks! :crying:

I wouldnt imagine a supermarket bag would be very helpful for picking the crap up because if the perforation holes!

I use nappy sacks for clearing up when I am walking the dogs, supermarket bags for bagging the stuff when collected in the garden.

Stuff all that hassle!

post-2251-1252189621_thumb.jpg

The carrier bags do have small holes in them it's just a case of being very careful :) I sometimes use nappy sacks but to be honest why pay for a load of little bags when I can get them free in the form of carrier bags . Either way they're both plastic bags so probably just as unenvironmentally friendly as each other .

may cause toxoplasmosis and subsequent death

Not to mention increased use of washing machine to wash the coat with the stinky pockets , nah I'll give that one a miss .

Only real solutions I can think of are dog_on_wheels.jpg or Champagne-Cork-Stopper_50806.jpg the second solution may cause explosive build up of pressure .

The carrier bags do have small holes in them it's just a case of being very careful :) I sometimes use nappy sacks but to be honest why pay for a load of little bags when I can get them free in the form of carrier bags . Either way they're both plastic bags so probably just as unenvironmentally friendly as each other .

may cause toxoplasmosis and subsequent death

Not to mention increased use of washing machine to wash the coat with the stinky pockets , nah I'll give that one a miss .

Only real solutions I can think of are dog_on_wheels.jpg or Champagne-Cork-Stopper_50806.jpg the second solution may cause explosive build up of pressure .

We don't need to have that old dogshit debate.

We're talking about thousands of plastic bags that people accept when they go shoppiing - putting one item into each bag.

It's waste that could easily be reduced.

We don't need to have that old dogshit debate.

We're talking about thousands of plastic bags that people accept when they go shoppiing - putting one item into each bag.

It's waste that could easily be reduced.

why would u put one item in each bag thats just silly

IMHO anything that gets people thinking about what they can do to make a change can only be positive. This campaign isn't about banning plastic bags, it's about reducing the number we use.

If you think about it, if every household on the Island only picked up 2 plastic bags per week whilst out shopping, this equates to approximately 3.5 million plastic bags issued on the Island every year (conservative estimate). Which ever way you look at it that's an awful lot of bags for dog shit or rubbish.

The campaign running in conjunction with ZWM and the MCS next week is hoping to change the habits of normal everyday shoppers, they are not campaigning for an outright ban on the use of plastic bags. The majority of the reuseable bags which are made from material that would be otherwise thrown away and which are being given out in exchange for a plastic bag are being made by the inmates of Jurby Prison, so anything that gets prisoners contributing positively to society has to be good!

This is the impact of our current lifestyles, a floating Island of Plastic.

For something a bit closer to home have a look at this.

Albert, I'm with you with the unecessary food packaging, perhaps we should form a guerilla group and randomly hit the Supermarkets with the polystyrene, plastic and card that is used unecessarily. When do we start?

Archived