International Plastic Bag Free Day

Moghrey Mie

Dont most people who clean up after their dogs use nappy sacks for the job? Shopshite and Moochers sell them pretty cheap.

I wouldnt imagine a supermarket bag would be very helpful for picking the crap up because if the perforation holes!

The carrier bags do have small holes in them it's just a case of being very careful :) I sometimes use nappy sacks but to be honest why pay for a load of little bags when I can get them free in the form of carrier bags . Either way they're both plastic bags so probably just as unenvironmentally friendly as each other .

may cause toxoplasmosis and subsequent death

Not to mention increased use of washing machine to wash the coat with the stinky pockets , nah I'll give that one a miss .

Only real solutions I can think of are dog_on_wheels.jpg or Champagne-Cork-Stopper_50806.jpg the second solution may cause explosive build up of pressure .

We don't need to have that old dogshit debate.

We're talking about thousands of plastic bags that people accept when they go shoppiing - putting one item into each bag.

It's waste that could easily be reduced.

I do like to recycle where ever possible (for all the good its doing), nappy sacks are a lot smaller than a carrier bag so it makes sense to use them so what if they cost, your dogs are worth it are they not!

Just so you really got your penny's worth you could reuse your bags, :D .My mum always use to reuse everything, back in the 70s there was no waste in households, we are very wastefull today in our throw away society!

A lot of supermarket products neednt be as packaged as it is, so i think they could/should lead by example, after all "every little helps".

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gets right on my tits all this environmental bandwagon jumping. I'm not saying everyone shouldn't do their bit, but employ some common sense and look at the bigger picture. My issue is with people who make token gestures, like using less carrier bags, and don't think things through properly.

I was being preached to recently by a woman who lives on Farmhill. She proudly stated that she uses a lot less carrier bags than she used to as she now has a bag for life. The downside is that she has to go shopping more frequently. She thinks the convenience shops near her home are too expensive, and doesn't like Tesco, so drives to the Shoprite in Onchan because it's easy to park and get round.

She honestly couldn't understand when I made the point that she'd probably be better off sticking to one shop a week, and using more bags (plastic or bags for life, and not sure why she only has one) she's just been brainwashed into thinking bags are bad.

Same as people replacing perfectly good light bulbs with energy efficient ones that were made in China, rather than at least waiting for the old one to stop working first.

I was being preached to recently by a woman who lives on Farmhill. She proudly stated that she uses a lot less carrier bags than she used to as she now has a bag for life. The downside is that she has to go shopping more frequently. She thinks the convenience shops near her home are too expensive, and doesn't like Tesco, so drives to the Shoprite in Onchan because it's easy to park and get round.

why dont she but 2 bag for lifes then then she can fill 2 up. :rolleyes:

dear god theres some thick ppl around

Gets right on my tits all this environmental bandwagon jumping. I'm not saying everyone shouldn't do their bit, but employ some common sense and look at the bigger picture. My issue is with people who make token gestures, like using less carrier bags, and don't think things through properly.

She honestly couldn't understand when I made the point that she'd probably be better off sticking to one shop a week, and using more bags (plastic or bags for life, and not sure why she only has one) she's just been brainwashed into thinking bags are bad.

Same as people replacing perfectly good light bulbs with energy efficient ones that were made in China, rather than at least waiting for the old one to stop working first.

I suppose the trouble is that most of us aren't 'doing our bit'

The problem doesn't even lie primarily with the consumer. It is the producers who largely create the pollution and waste. Yet the government wants to make it clear that it is our problem and we need to sort ourselves out. Fair enough, do your bit, but WE are not problem-makers here.

The problem doesn't even lie primarily with the consumer. It is the producers who largely create the pollution and waste. Yet the government wants to make it clear that it is our problem and we need to sort ourselves out. Fair enough, do your bit, but WE are not problem-makers here.

Rot, without the consumer there is no market for these things and they wouldn't exist. The buck stops with us.

At least M+S are trying.

Last week I bought something in a plastic package with a sticker on it showing all the info.

This week it was in the same plastic package with a nice big cardboard box surrounding it showing all the info.

Oh hang on, that's the opposite of what they are meant to be doing isn't it...

Is there a market for the packaging that food comes in, for example? If the bucks stop with the consumer, what does that mean in terms of what the consumer should do when purchasing food?

Avoid buying the stuff that's overpackaged. It's available mostly, but people buy packaged stuff. Just stand in the veg isle in tesco or m&s where loose and packaged are available side by side and watch it happening.

Avoid OVER-packaged stuff? I was talking about food stuffs wrapped in non-degradeable substances. The majority of food stuff, and essential food stuffs, comes in plastic wrap or containers. To an extent, one would have to restrict one's range of foods than can be eaten. The veg aisle isn't the best example now, is it?

But more interestingly, do you really believe that there is consumer demand for non-biodegradeable containers and wrap? And do you think that the consumer can really effect change to how things are packaged based on the working on the market?

What might be good might be if all the shoppers who drive to and from the supermarket collected a lightweight crate or two from their car boot to put their shopping into after it had been through the till point. Then they wheel their shopping trolley, with the now loaded crates on board, back to the car and then put the crates in their car boot. No shopping bags needed. Put the crates back in the car boot after they get the shopping home.

We haven't seen a plastic bag in a supermarket here for three years or more.

You can buy one of those biodegradable bags though.

It was really irritating at first, but we're all very well trained now with exchangeable bags for life, cool & freezer bags etc.

It's actually very simple, unusually so for the French.

We don't need to have that old dogshit debate.

We're talking about thousands of plastic bags that people accept when they go shoppiing - putting one item into each bag.

It's waste that could easily be reduced.

I wasn't trying to start a dogshit debate , I was just saying that I was using the carrier bags more than once .

Re the 1 item 1 bag thing tesco home delivery are as bad as anyone , I've seen it where we have ordered 1 bottle of washing up liquid and rather than put it with the shower gel and shampoo etc it came it's own bag .

I do like to recycle where ever possible (for all the good its doing), nappy sacks are a lot smaller than a carrier bag so it makes sense to use them so what if they cost, your dogs are worth it are they not!
I fail to see in what way it benefits the mutt what kind of bag I use to clear away his crap .

How many plastic bags do we see loose as waste in their own right? Not many I'd guess.

One thing I notice about supermarket plastic bags is that everyone I know re-uses them as bin liners. Now if you get rid of plastic carrier bags what will happen? That's right, we'll buy plastic bin liners. Problem solved moved.

Of course I could buy biodegradable starch based bin liners but I'm not sure how long these take to biodegrade when they're incinerated...

Archived