Treasury Responds To Finance Sector Job Losses

Albert Tatlock

The world economy will continue to offer opportunities for serious minded intelligent people who follow trends. As it always has, whatever happens.

No.

For people who SET trends,

All attempts to 'set' trends fail miserably. The nature of trends is that you can sometimes identify and track them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
to be honest the manxis shoulden have to worry about stopping work permits.

if your good at the job thay do then whats the worry thay will be employed.

if somebody from the uk gets the job then thay must be better at that job

Not necessarily, i have worked in places that have employed foreign staff and they have been paid less than the Manx workers, so it is'nt always about "the best person for the job", thats just a cop out!

to be honest the manxis shoulden have to worry about stopping work permits.

if your good at the job thay do then whats the worry thay will be employed.

if somebody from the uk gets the job then thay must be better at that job

Not necessarily, i have worked in places that have employed foreign staff and they have been paid less than the Manx workers, so it is'nt always about "the best person for the job", thats just a cop out!

best person for the company then.

you have 2 ppl.

1 is the best person u could have, degree in this and that. he wants 40 k a year

the other is somebody that has all the right things need for the job, might not have a big degree but can do that job just as well, he only wants 30k.

i know which one i would pick the cheap one.

the problem u have now is, that a lot of ppl have been laid off and to be honest have been paid a lot of cash to do that job,

when thay go for a new job thay still expect to pick up that same wage.

i had people come for jobs that want silly amount of cash, and most of them are not worth what thay think thay are, just because thay been paid that in the past.

I'll give you one example, a basic Business Analyst job with a local IT firm recently: 20% of applicants from here, 80% from outside - 120 people applying. In part of what I do, I talk to people who run agencies and run firms - ring up and ask yourself - it isn't hard to ask.

It's easy to come up with that kind of crap in an argument if you personally feel secure - and are not even willing to look at how things really are. Stick your head in the sand all you wish.

However if you restricted people from outside - I presume that means the UK there may well be a reciprocal backlash and all those manx people working in the UK would lose their jobs and have to come back and increase the unemployment situation in the IOM.

I noted from iomonline that whilst unemployment figures are up this half of the year, the numbers of office bods claiming unemployment had fallen by 10% (in a month I think,.. its hard for me to be sure, I have difficulty in following the writing in the article).

Are these people responsible for the 10% reduction finding fresh employment in offices again (e-gambling?), leaving the island, being reclassified as construction workers, moving into the cemetary, becoming students again? What do school leavers classify as? The figures seem quite encouraging.

Archived