Upset Over Treatment Of Dementia-sufferer Dad

Mrs Merton

This is surely just the latest episode in a line of similar incidents?

To my mind this indicates the agencies are not performing their duties and there are clearly issues which need to be addressed - addressed as in something done instead of the usual trite ' we are sorry that x feels the standard of care y received was lacking '

I have frequently spoken of my experiences with my father's dementia on these forums and his death 3 months ago. Although my father was treated with the utmost compassion in exceptionally difficult circumstances, I do empathize with the article.

Unfortunately some of Mrs Beecroft's experiences echo my own. My father broke his neck of femur and was admitted on to ward 11. The staff were amazing, but the ward just wasn't set up to look after someone in the throes of dementia. In the end I used to go up and feed him twice a day. I felt as if I was failing him, but holding down a full time job, being a single mum and an only child meant I could only spread myself so far.

I really do hope that there is a revision of policy as to how dementia sufferers are treated by all areas of the health services, and I just find it so sad that this elderly gentleman has had to suffer to highlight gaping holes in policy.

You should hold no feelings of thinking that at any time you were letting your father down.

You did your very best and went far, far beyond even that.

You could have done nothing more.

I really do hope that there is a revision of policy as to how dementia sufferers are treated by all areas of the health services

Yeah, they should euthanise them. Look at the contrast between the two photos of the man in that article. In the second one he literally looks like a vegetable. Like a great shrivelled potato. What quality of life can he possibly have?

If you'd told him when he was a young Desert Rat that he'd end up spending his last years sat in a chair shitting himself, struggling to recall the faces of his friends and relatives i bet he'd have been horrified.

I don't know how people can inflict this on their loved ones. If it was my parents i'd be reaching for the pillow as soon as they started getting the names of grandchildren mixed up.

Can you not understand? Or do you mean you understand, but don't think it is right? I can understand why people wouldn't want to euthanise a family member.

Gosh no! Never....It has to be the person themselves to decide (obviously while in sane mind), not any family member.

I understand why they don't want to do it - because they still see the drooling shell of a person before them as the person they used to be, but i don't see how anyone can believe they are acting with compassion by keeping them alive while their brain slowly turns to sponge.

This is surely just the latest episode in a line of similar incidents?

To my mind this indicates the agencies are not performing their duties and there are clearly issues which need to be addressed - addressed as in something done instead of the usual trite ' we are sorry that x feels the standard of care y received was lacking '

like all treatments and care, it costs money, which is why mr bellis and ms pishvaie ( sorry if spelt wrong ) had to have fund raisers and rely on others charity to pay for operations that the NHS should be paying for. the government can piss money on un needed runway extensions and jolly's to smash bottles on boats, but when it comes to something usefull and practicle and LIFE SAVING, no money!!!!! NHS cuts, no money for the hyberbaric chamber, fucking SCANDALOUS. but enough money to keep MHK's pensions above and beyond any changes the rest of the populus have to have foisted on them.

Gosh no! Never....It has to be the person themselves to decide (obviously while in sane mind), not any family member.

What if they have dementia, say severe dementia?

Again....never, it has to be a decision made by the person in question, obviously too late now but that decision needs to be made in younger years.

Having worked with the elderly myself its something i am in full support of, i have seen things which would make you cringe, staff neglect of our elderly etc, its not a nice world i can tell you, i have said before and i will say again that i believe in freedom of choice for how one is to spend their final days and i hope in time i too can choose, animals are not expected to suffer but humans are....Its not quite right is it!

reading that news story.. I'm not clear.. Was the gentleman discharged from the Hospital WITH a broken arm that had not been managed in any adequate manner??? That alone seems like grounds for an investigation into the competence and professionalism of the staff who should have been responsible for his care and management at the hospital, and the people operating the ambulance. Did they not know he had the break? Did they know he had a break but decided to discharge him in that state anyway? Where did they think he'd get referred back to once someone at the home noticed the break?

It is so tragic to see someone suffer in this way.

Bad enough to be slowly slippinginto dementia but to have poor treatment too, is totally unacceptable.

I have had some issues with a child’s and husbands health treatment in the past. And only by being extremely forceful when demanding attention and treatment for them and by nursing them myself, were tragic events avoided.

During these times, as work had to suffer, I lost loads of pension credits of course (didn’t know they even existed) but that’s another story…

It can be a hard battle getting your loved ones to the top of the attention list. I sympathise.

During these times, as work had to suffer, I lost loads of pension credits of course (didn’t know they even existed) but that’s another story…

And that's another issue that badly needs reforming. Caring by a relative, often a route to penury.

Archived