Freedom To Flurish

Moghrey Mie

I have never understood Freedom To Flourish except that we were told it was a branding excercise for the Isle Of Man - similar to the way New Zealand re-branded itself.

Now the Education Department is launching a new initiative for the Dyslexia Aware Quality Mark under the banner of Freedom to Flourish.

Does anybody understand this?

"The Dyslexia Aware Schools Quality Mark - celebrating Quality First Reasonable Adjustments for learners "at risk" from Dyslexia

1.To become recognised as a school which is "Dyslexia Aware" and which successfully meets the needs of most dyslexic learners through reasonable adjustments

2.To achieve a national award - The Dyslexia Aware Quality Mark - which celebrates the ways in which policy, practice, ethos and culture combine to enable dyslexic learners to be the best they can be.

3.To meet the requirements of the Inclusion Development Plan while gaining recognition for good practice"

...I think it is all about giving dyslexic people 'Freedom To Flourish'.

I can imagine the negotiations with the government for more money for dyslexics going along the lines of:

'What is all this Freedom To Flourish rubbish, when you are not paying to help some of the dyslexic children on the island??? etc.'.

'Oh all right, you got us there, we'll pay up - but you do your bit and put it under Freedom To Flourish - so it looks like the branding exercise has at least had one outing'

I think they used to call all this type of stuff 'Investors In People'.

I know there is an actual test I have taken it myself.

I guess my question was not how do you know but more, will they group thick people with the dyslexics together in an attempt to help everyone while missing the actual difficulties facing both groups?

Testing for dyslexia can be a long process so will they opt for the easier option rather than do it properly?

There are no such things as 'thick' people.

There are those who have little or no academic ability - the ones who used to be advised to leave school and find an apprenticeship or a job in a service industry - and there are those who have problems such as dyslexia, ADHD etc who, although often extremely bright, need to be identified as early as possible so that they can receive the help they need.

IMO, the primary schools ought to take the bulk of responsibility for this since, by the time such students get to secondary school, a great deal of damage may have already been done in that they may have become labelled - and accepted - the totally inaccurate epithet 'thick.'

Archived