Worried

FCMR

Our company carry out decorating for the special need applicants and I was called to one of these contracts today by one of my staff who was worried for the safety of the old lady. This old lady recieved her gas bill this morning which has left her in a terrible state, She has never had a heating bill as high, and says she has no money to pay it, and has threatened to take her own life.

How are these old people on a pension going to cope, a £365 gas bill is bad enough for those that are working.

Thats disgusting the government should be paying half the heating bills in the winter months at least, if they said they will put it on my tax i would not have a problem with that.

We live in modern times and looking after the older generation is something we should be doing more of, after all we will all be old one day.

FCMR, am I right in assuming that because they have no say in the heating put in it's some sort of Local Authority/Government run place? So if they can't afford their gas bill as they are on some sort of income support can they ask for help?

I'm not trying to say the lady is stupid, it must be worrying. But is there anywhere she can go for help?

My mother in law is on a pension and lives in a Corpy Flat in Anaghcoar, they have changed her heating over too from coal to gas. Her heating bills have more than doubled, she gets no extra allowance for the change over and if it was not for her kids giving her some help she would be in the S^^T.

She also finds that she can fill her bin each week, when before she would put anything that would burn on the fire. She used to turn the old milk cartons into little brick things with a mixture of coal dust and kitchen waste..

So if they can't afford their gas bill as they are on some sort of income support can they ask for help? ...  But is there anywhere she can go for help?

Now there's a point.

I suspect they can ask, assuming they know what, where and who to ask.

I don't know what goes on in the departments responsible for the needy, be they elderly, young, infirm etc.

But I wonder, is an annual home visit to each carried out to assertain that they are made fully aware of their options and rights?

So if they can't afford their gas bill as they are on some sort of income support can they ask for help? ...  But is there anywhere she can go for help?

Now there's a point.

I suspect they can ask, assuming they know what, where and who to ask.

I don't know what goes on in the departments responsible for the needy, be they elderly, young, infirm etc.

But I wonder, is an annual home visit to each carried out to assertain that they are made fully aware of their options and rights?

Yes they can ask for help but will not get any additional financial help.

They are told to turn the heating off during the day, put extra clothes on, close the curtains, put a towel against the door, go to bed early and get up later.

For F$£&S sake these people are in trouble and its going to get worse.

well they should have put in oil heating and they would be saving money.

This is a joke why people choose gas is beyond me, why did the people in power choose it, if i was in power i would look for the cheapest form of heating and go for that lol.

BLIND LEADING THE BLIND maybe

Next they will be telling them to jog around the block to keep warm haha

I feel sorry for anyone in this position at least with coal you have the choice of when you can use your heating and also you can use logs and coal to make your fuel bills less harsh.

You don't need to go far to see people in need its not just the 3rd world that is suffering.

Archived