[BBC News] Plea over plastic bags reduction

Newsbot

Environmentalists want to reduce the amount of plastic bags sent to the Isle of Man, claiming they are harming animals.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/8250329.stm

They need to ask the shops to stop handing out bags automatically.

And if you're going shopping it makes sense to take a bag with you.

If we had a government that had any balls and actually gave a f**k about the environment they'd ban shops from giving them out, plenty of other places have

Environmentalists want to reduce the amount of plastic bags sent to the Isle of Man, claiming they are harming animals.

I would just like to point out it is not just bags that are harmful to animals!

I have seen many times in magazines and on the TV people releasing BALLOONS into the sky for charities or other reasons, this can have a devastating effect on wildlife, farm animals and sealife so please think very carefully before releasing a balloon into the air!

This is 5 years old news, ffs even MF was talking about the harm of plastic in the environment 2 years ago /yawn.

My friend (the environmental engineer one) has been talking about the damage 40 year old plastic has done in the Thames valley recently, but what do us silly hippy types know?

TBH the one approach that really seems to work is the Irish one of a tax on plastic bags. This has resulted in a 94% drop in their use and a truly dramatic improvement in the hedgerows that used to be full of the damn things. On the side it has also meant a big saving in the oil needed to produce them.

Both the UK and the IoM seem to be like rabbits in a spotlight on this one - incapable of moving.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/8250329.stm

Lots of people seemed to be swapping their plastic bags for cloth ones down at the Strand Shopping Centre today.

I hope this plastic bag free day becomes an annual event.

Why not just charge for each bag used?

Let the inner skinflint in people save the planet.

Yes thats quite right, i spent just under £100 in a certain shop yesterday and the bint on the counter charged me 6p for a fecken bag, i am going to be sure to have a supply of different sized bags in my handbag, i had some carriers already but they were not big enough.

The reason i called her a bint was because she served me only a few weeks ago and she was telling me how it was at the discretion of the staff ie obviously if they spent over a certain amount of money, well last time i spent less and i got a free bag, it was quite annoying as she could see i had made an effort by using my own bags for the smaller items, i dont believe its about "doing their bit", its about penny pinching and clawing every penny back, the companies and stores all have to buy their carrier bags obviously so if we are being charged 1p more than they are paying then they are making a profit on us advertising their buisiness.

Archived