Mega Drive Vs Snes, Who Gets Your Vote?

Cacti

The sound (just audibly) was far better on the Mega Drive though, which I assume is down to the sound chip difference. If you listen to cross platform games (just as means of a fair comparison) its a lot more noticable.

Desert Strike for example

Pretty kick-ass

Bit naff. -__-

Credit where its due though, Unirally had a fantastic soundtrack. :D

Skitchin will always have the best Mega Drive music for me though, though the fact its actually dont by real instruments then digitilised probably helps.

The SNES actually had the superior sound hardware, the Megadrive used a lot of FM synth effects, and whilst they did get to grips with the hardware over the years, it could never match the SNES at its best - the likes of Donkey Kong County for example.

I owned both consoles (sometimes at the same time) and loved them both to pieces, in a lot of ways I miss the straight forward console games of the nineties, 360 and PS3 games are often massive and meandering things these days, when sometimes all you want is just a bit of kickass action.

Gunstar Heroes on the Megadrive, for example -

It does show the limitations of the sound hardware however, compared to something like this on the SNES - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZwrx4eMLr8...feature=related - The SNES was capable of producing music you'd really want to just listen to.

SNES for me. The super mario world demo in the window of Aldrige Audio hooked me in from the start, and I never looked back. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Kart, Streety, Chrono, Mana, Donkey Kong Country, Super Star Wars and Shadow Run. There was simply nothing to compare on the megadrive, just some stupid hedgehog playing catchup. He never has.

Liked the game-cube myself, first game I played was Medal of Honour Frontline, was bloody good!

Didn't really compare to the Xbox, but was on par with the Dreamcast (also had a few games I liked).

The Dreamcast was shit and all.

I often lament that although graphics in games have improved vastly through the years, the games themselves are no more fun today than when you were pushing a few coloured pixels around a screen. In their striving for realism and better graphics, things like level design, playability, and longevity are sometimes overlooked.

Dreamcast had enough ace games to make it worth owning. Soul Caliber, Ressie Evil, Jet Grind Radio, Phantasy Star, Crazy Taxi, MSR and the amazing Shenmui. Happy days!

The Dreamcast was (is!) fantastic, unfortunately it had the most bizarrely awful marketing in the history of the world.

Since it was effectively a derivative of the Naomi arcade hardware, Sega could have simply marketed it as The Arcade In Your Home, instead they chose to focus on its lamentable online 'capabilities', such as they were with a 33.6K modem with latencies often measured in seconds and at a time when most people still paid by the minute for the their internet access. Oh yes and a web browser that couldn't even display most websites properly. And hardly any games that could be played online.

They blew most of their advertising budget on sponsoring a football team that never won anything, and by the time they cottoned on to the fact that they had the best arcadey console in the world, the PS2 was on the scene and despite being technically very similar in overall power (and actually less powerful in some areas, the DC could do full-screen anti-aliasing in hardware, the PS2 couldn't), Sony marketed it properly as the real 'next-gen' console and the rest, as they so often say, is history.

You can get DCs for buttons on eBay with loads of games, and they're arguably worth a punt, for the likes of the games Slim has listed above, along with stuff like House of the Dead 2 and Confidential Mission (two of the best light gun games ever, but you'll need an olde worlde CRT to play them), Powerstone 1 & 2, Virtua Tennis 1 & 2, Bangai-O, Rez, Re-Volt and many more.

I still have my original DC, safely boxed away, one day when I have a proper games room it will be resurrected and used again!

I often lament that although graphics in games have improved vastly through the years, the games themselves are no more fun today than when you were pushing a few coloured pixels around a screen. In their striving for realism and better graphics, things like level design, playability, and longevity are sometimes overlooked.

That possibly was true some time ago, but titles are getting ever deeper and gripping in terms of story nowadays and to me offer a much deeper and full filling experience due to this.

Almost like mini movies at times, certainly enough to capture the imagination if done correctly.

Not a huge amount of titles offer this I grant you but there's a nice amount filtering through now.

Liked the game-cube myself, first game I played was Medal of Honour Frontline, was bloody good!

Didn't really compare to the Xbox, but was on par with the Dreamcast (also had a few games I liked).

Never played Shenmue? One of, if not THE best game created, and former holder of the most expensive game to make before it was beaten recently by one of the GTA games. The only bad thing about the DC was its short lifespan and sucky internet. Had it worked like the PS3 and 360 does these days, it would have have been fantastic.

I loves me some Dreamcast. Shame it started my dislike of the Sonic franchise though, could never get into 3D sonic. I still love the 2D games though of course.

Again, see aformentioned Shenmue, a great story game with plenty to keep you occupied.

I'm actually a great fan of stories in games, Silent Hill in particular is my favourite. :D I'm not scared by horror films, but Silent Hill games? Creepy shit. 1 especially. When you read into the story and the references, it actually takes a lot from christianity, making it even MORE freaky.

Archived