[BBC News] No newspapers delivered to island

Newsbot

They were delivered to the IOM

They were not unloaded from the plane.

So they were taken away again.

But they were delivered.

The airport staff were reluctant to unload the aircraft.

Too dangerous was it?

They were delivered to the IOM

They were not unloaded from the plane.

So they were taken away again.

But they were delivered.

The airport staff were reluctant to unload the aircraft.

Too dangerous was it?

I wouldn't like to be wandering around a plane with an engine still running....

Read the news item properly.

"The aircraft was able to keep one right hand engine running to allow staff on board through the left hand door.

So what's the problem?

I make that to mean that the door was on the other side of the fuselage from the running engine.

Do the engines on this particular aircraft self detach and walk around looking for people to injure?

i think it was health and safety getting in the way of common sense :whistling:

Well given that it has cost newsagents on the Island thousands in unsold papers I hope that a full investigation is launched and compensation is paid if its just proved that this was a jobsworth causing this with no justification at all.

Unable to turn off an engine? - cobblers. Surely they could have parked it, turned off the engine, and eventually found a spare APU? Or was Ms Reynolds off today, no one knew what to do, and chaos ensued?

Something onboard that aircraft was obviously more important than getting the papers in for 80,000 people. My theory is that it was a rendition flight, and they didn't really want to anyone want to see what was really onboard.

Rendition? Remains of an Alien Autopsy? Newspaper headlines saying Tony Brown has been caught selling duff chinese batteries? We should really be asking what was really going on with that flight people - there's obviously far more to this story than meets the eye.

Its not just the people working around the plane which is the issue.

Stray items from the cargo hold could be blown under the aircraft and sucked into an engine, or blown onto a prop edge causing thousands of pounds worth of damage.

The temptation to try and catch a stray bit of load that hs fallan off the belt is far too great, and one could find themselves head first into a prop or jet intake in a matter of seconds.

By the way, one of the papers carried a story about the isle of man, someone well known in politics, a donkey, rubber gloves and a hooker - all in the same article.

THATS why they never got unloaded.

That - at the fact that the Sunday papers are full of shit.

Once again, lots of input by people who do not really know what they are talking about!

1) This particular aircraft is so old it needs a specail compressed air unit in order to get it started again. It is the only aircraft using Ronaldsway that needs that kit and it visits here about once every two months. The starter, owned by the handling agent and not the airport, failed for whatever reason to start. If the aircraft had shut down it could have been stranded here for days.

2) I understand that airport employees have it drummed into them that they never approach an aircraft when it has it's red light flashing, which I believe means it is live, and certainly never to approach an aircraft which has engines running. You can hardly blame them for going against their training just to unload the Sunday newspapers. The previous comments regarding damage from debris are very valid and a momentary lapse working around an aircraft with a live engine can be tragic.

It never ceases to amaze me how hot under the collar people get just because they don't get their newspaper. I admit it has probably cost a lot of money in lost sales but these mechanical breakdowns happen. It is certainly not the fault of the Airport or it's employees.

1) This particular aircraft is so old it needs a specail compressed air unit in order to get it started again. It is the only aircraft using Ronaldsway that needs that kit and it visits here about once every two months. The starter, owned by the handling agent and not the airport, failed for whatever reason to start. If the aircraft had shut down it could have been stranded here for days.

Just curious but if it stalled in flight, how would it restart the engines? I googled it and the answer looked to be by doing an 'air start' which after further reading sounds like brown underpants time to me.

tribz

Once again, lots of input by people who do not really know what they are talking about!

It is the only aircraft using Ronaldsway that needs that kit and it visits here about once every two months.

Once a month, when Ben my Chree has a "maintenance night" at home, and more frequently when the ferries suffer from wind.

Archived