[BBC News] Power cut hits schools and homes

Newsbot

A fault at a substation on the Isle of Man causes some homes and schools to go without electricity for a short time.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/8254600.stm

Which is entirely different to what the MEA reported on their website.

"At 0923hrs this morning an incident occurred at an electrical substation in the Pulrose area which caused loss of supplies to a relatively small number of customers. Supplies are being restored through alternative circuits and this will be completed shortly. The impact of this fault will have been seen with a dimming of lights for a fraction of a moment across the Island.

If any customers are still off they should firstly check their trip-switch if there is still no supply by 11am, they should call 687687 to report the fault. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and would assure customers that we are working as quickly as we can to restore all supplies."

If all it caused was a dimming of lights why would they also say that if there is still no supply by 11am that you should call the MEA?

It clearly says "The impact of this fault will have been seen with a dimming of lights for a fraction of a moment across the Island. "

Ie those not in the Pulrose area would have seen a dimming of lights, however some of those in the Pulrose area had a power cut...

Curiously there has been a lot of activity and a fire engine present at the substation on North Quay since this happened. Isn't that where the fault occured a few years ago when the power went pop the last time?

do we assume from the wording that the substation was not actually inside the power station at Pully, but out in the estate somewhere

How long is a moment ?, we had a cut of about a quarter of a 'moment', enough to reboot any pcs not on a ups, reset some digital clocks but some survived. It also scrambled one of my routers which I use as a hub to feed a couple of pcs on the end of a long cat5 cable, appeared to be dead until I checked the power supply, took the case apart, by which time it had decided to burst into life again :(

do we assume from the wording that the substation was not actually inside the power station at Pully, but out in the estate somewhere

How long is a moment ?, we had a cut of about a quarter of a 'moment', enough to reboot any pcs not on a ups, reset some digital clocks but some survived. It also scrambled one of my routers which I use as a hub to feed a couple of pcs on the end of a long cat5 cable, appeared to be dead until I checked the power supply, took the case apart, by which time it had decided to burst into life again :(

It's all relative really, our moment had a seven minute impact

The high voltage stuff in sub-stations is switched by heavy spring-operated switchgear - encased and bathed in insulating oil. You don't want to be standing near one when it goes off, you'd sh1t yourself.

On a fault, usually when you try and draw too much power on the remainder of the circuits, the voltage drops - and lights dim momentarily until the load is re-balanced.

Sometimes when it has been raining very heavily on an outside substation, water can creep into the switchgear or a transformer contaminating the insulating oil and then - bnag!

Archived