[BBC News] Bad parking 'risking fire deaths'

Newsbot

"Fire crews say they are often hampered in getting to fire incidents by poor - or sometimes illegal - parking.

Police said any vehicle owners that obstruct emergency crews could be liable for a £40 fixed penalty notice. "

Well, yeah... that'll really teach them a lesson, won't it? :angry:

Pushing illegally parked cars out of the way with a fire engine, and then sending the bill for any damage to the fire engine (which I suspect won't be covered by their insurance, along with damage to their own car if they were deemed to be parked illegally) would be a much better lesson IMO. A couple of such 'incidents' reported in the paper might make others take more heed :D

People over here can't park properly anyhoo, and even think double yellow lines means 30 mins parking.

Pushing illegally parked cars out of the way with a fire engine, and then sending the bill for any damage to the fire engine (which I suspect won't be covered by their insurance, along with damage to their own car if they were deemed to be parked illegally) would be a much better lesson IMO. A couple of such 'incidents' reported in the paper might make others take more heed :D

People over here can't park properly anyhoo, and even think double yellow lines means 30 mins parking.

One fireman did just that when there was a serious fire in castlemona ave years ago. The fireman who was driving received a caution for driving without due care.

Funny old world init.

One fireman did just that when there was a serious fire in castlemona ave years ago. The fireman who was driving received a caution for driving without due care.

Funny old world init.

At least it was just a caution. I can imagine the potential dangers - but as long as a couple of firemen walk ahead and check there is no one in the car etc. blocking the path, I still think he should be allowed to 'push his way through'.

Pushing illegally parked cars out of the way with a fire engine, ... would be a much better lesson IMO.

Perfect solution Albert.

If I was trapped in the blazing building I don't think I would be expecting the firemen to call the Police and ask them to find the owner of an illegally parked car to request them to move it out of the way.

I wonder if this was one of those 'procedural' issuances of a DWDC notification. I have discovered the Police sometimes do this to put it on record and then tear it up because it was not the driver's fault.

Archived