[BBC News] Civil staff reject zero pay rise

Newsbot

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They obviously voted against Ms Moffatt's advice.

Speaking on behalf of the union, negotiations officer Angela Moffatt said: "If anyone out there thinks the public sector are immune from the recession then they can think again.

"Pay cuts and potential job losses are as much a reality for our members as for anyone else on the island."

So a zero percent pay increase must be seen as an excellent and satisfactory outcome by Prospect.

What's the problem? It's the real-life market rate for what most of them are worth.

Well I thought inflation was at zero % last month so they have turned down an inflationary pay increase. Actually its about time that civil servants realized the economic reality that we are living in - they have gold plated employment terms and gold plated pensions paid for by us. We in the private sector are facing redundancy and reductions in pay.

Apart from doctors, nurses and dentists if the whole frigging civil service went on strike tomorrow nobody would actually notice so quite what leverage they think they have for the taxpayer to keep them in their risk free cossetted existence is anyones guess.

If you don't like it go on strike and see who gives a rats ass.

They obviously voted against Ms Moffatt's advice.

Speaking on behalf of the union, negotiations officer Angela Moffatt said: "If anyone out there thinks the public sector are immune from the recession then they can think again.

"Pay cuts and potential job losses are as much a reality for our members as for anyone else on the island."

So a zero percent pay increase must be seen as an excellent and satisfactory outcome by Prospect.

"Ms Moffatt said the union would be urging members not to accept current proposals to cut pay and pensions."

On the one hand she is saying that job losses are a real threat and on the other telling them (sorry 'urging') not to accept any put cut! Therefore as you say zero% must be considered a good outcome. Or will we see the lemmings jump?

I haven't seen a pay rise for 2 years 9 months on the basis that we need to control our costs despite all these insane rises in rates and utilities not to mention petrol, food and clothing. I'll stop now as my blood pressure is going sky high...

Apart from doctors, nurses and dentists if the whole frigging civil service went on strike tomorrow nobody would actually notice so quite what leverage they think they have for the taxpayer to keep them in their risk free cossetted existence is anyones guess.

Strange how nobody queries doctors and dentists salaries. Alright, some doctors save lives, but....shiny teeth?

So they all go on strike, what a brilliant way of finding out which of them are actually any use

I was talking to a mate of mine who is working on an outsourced govt technical contract. Only two of them do the work, yet they have 8 bosses, 6 of whom are civil servants. Madness.

Well past time the government instigated an objective and independent review of all roles in the civil service - and got rid of many of these people.

If the government were Marks and Spencers, there'd be 150 people on each till.

In the UK they are at least treating this recession as a temporary aberration because of the way it has been essentially engineered. Basically it's a re-run of the old South Sea Bubble so in expectation of an upturn the bigger companies are being "creative" about retaining staff. The most popular seems to be staff "buying" holiday. They are being asked to take unpaid leave because hopefully they will be needed on an upturn - win/win.

Against that kind of backdrop with low inflation, not losing any salary and continuing current levels of pension contributions Scribbling Servants are luckier than they know. It doesn't stop them kicking off though, selfish bar stewards.

What it needs is a proper team of real professionals to work through the so-called "Civil" Service asking real questions about their outputs and contribution. Not yet another team of "consultants" who just happened to have been "recommended" by someone in the corridors of power who will then go on to produce a report full of obvious generalities which they hope will land them yet another gravy train contract.

What's the problem? It's the real-life market rate for what most of them are worth.

Well I thought inflation was at zero % last month so they have turned down an inflationary pay increase. Actually its about time that civil servants realized the economic reality that we are living in - they have gold plated employment terms and gold plated pensions paid for by us. We in the private sector are facing redundancy and reductions in pay.

Hmmm! Am I correct in thinking that postal workers, tax office staff, social security staff, some airport and ferry terminal staff, Police Officers, Prison Officers but to name a few of the "shop floor" civil servants? Surely their withdrawl of labour might have a slight effect on our daily lives? I personally do not care if they were to strike, I am a "shop floor" civil servant on a pay band only just above the minimum wage, I am not a union member and I would not strike in support of the rejection of the 0% pay rise for 2009.

In the current climate, a pay freeze is a bit of a result; much better than losing your job. We are not having it as bad as in the UK, but there are pressure points, and for government the loss of corporate tax, coupled with the change in the VAT agreement and then the reduction in the VAT rate must have shot a huge hole in the public finances. What ain't there, ain't there.

There are two ways of looking at this, either have lots of low end civil servants poorly performing and paid commensurately, or have fewer being really effective and paid well. It is a finite basket, just depends how you want it divvied up. But what it needs is really strong management to make the best of either scenairo, not a strike.

Archived