[BBC News] Civil staff reject zero pay rise

Newsbot

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is very unfair that the average civil servant has to suffer a pay cut/ freeze. If the government really wanted to make a difference they could start by culling a few MHKs and all the rubbish that they like to waste public money on. Are the MHKs going to accept a salary cut? I very much doubt it!

It is unfair to brand all civil servants as lazy and useless and from what I can gather seems to be a case of sour grapes by those in the private sector because they are working under the constant threat of redundancy

Why? Because they get too much money from the taxpayer already. Have a look at the chart I posted further up the thread.

It's not civil servants' requirements that matter here, it is the Isle of Man's requirement for civil servants, and that requirement is very much oversupplied, at too high a cost

Am I not a taxpayer?

I will agree however, that the amount of civil servants seem to be quite high and it surprises me further, that some get performance related pay.

EDIT (Link deleted as it shows UK Civil Service pay) However, do we have bonus schemes in the Civil service in the IOM?

Why? Because they get too much money from the taxpayer already. Have a look at the chart I posted further up the thread.

It's not civil servants' requirements that matter here, it is the Isle of Man's requirement for civil servants, and that requirement is very much oversupplied, at too high a cost

Am I not a taxpayer?

I will agree however, that the amount of civil servants seem to be quite high and it surprises me further, that some get performance related pay.

See section Civil Servants Pay

With all the problems that seem to be amassing, is it right that Civil Servants get the privilege of bonuses? I know that its been said that if you want the best, then you have to pay the best, but in this current climate, is this now relevant and is this true, do we actually get the best?

apparently according to this there's just under 2,200 civil servants. less than I thought to be honest so not sure how 800 of them earn over £50k.

Any Govt job I've ever thought of applying for had no bonus.

It is unfair to brand all civil servants as lazy and useless and from what I can gather seems to be a case of sour grapes by those in the private sector because they are working under the constant threat of redundancy

Why does it not surprise me that someone as cretinous as you is employed by IOMG?

Sorry but your assumptions are ill-founded and incorrect. For the record, I am self-employed. So yes I have an impartial opinion on this matter

according to this

I was a bit surprised to see in the vacancies that Schools Crossings Patrol jobs are being advertised at £9.11 per hour which is 59% over the UK minimum wage rate.

We need public servants. We also need them to be well managed and to be the minimum number needed to provide the required level of service. My impression from another thread is that there are a lot of more senior level staff relative to the numbers of lower level staff (as defined by salary). This seems like an area that ought to be looked into. It may be OK but one wonders as to why are there so many chiefs.

At present the Government is telling us that we don't have enough money for a number of services so it seems to make sense not to increase the public service wage bill whilst these circumstances prevail.

I think it is very unfair that the average civil servant has to suffer a pay cut/ freeze. If the government really wanted to make a difference they could start by culling a few MHKs and all the rubbish that they like to waste public money on. Are the MHKs going to accept a salary cut? I very much doubt it!

I agree with you Mr Toad regards the culling of MHK's.

I wouldn't know as to how many are needed although I could always ask Albert, but I think I know the answer to that one.

I would like to see them gradually reduce to half the size and to phase them out via retirement etc and that's when we'd find out as to who's earning their money, as there'd be fewer MHK's to hide behind.

I've targetted MHK's as I don't feel as if I'm getting value for money and I've always thought that you should start at the top first, (lead by example) then move through the grades. For instance, is there a need for all these meetings where minutes are taken and hours are lost? Again, meetings for meetings sake, to justify a position appears to be the case and again, value for money seems to have been eaten up by expenses.

according to this

I was a bit surprised to see in the vacancies that Schools Crossings Patrol jobs are being advertised at £9.11 per hour which is 59% over the UK minimum wage rate.

We need public servants. We also need them to be well managed and to be the minimum number needed to provide the required level of service. My impression from another thread is that there are a lot of more senior level staff relative to the numbers of lower level staff (as defined by salary). This seems like an area that ought to be looked into. It may be OK but one wonders as to why are there so many chiefs.

At present the Government is telling us that we don't have enough money for a number of services so it seems to make sense not to increase the public service wage bill whilst these circumstances prevail.

:thumbsup:

Well said manshimajin

Why does it not surprise me that someone as cretinous as you is employed by IOMG?
Why do you have a problem with them on the whole? I thought the problem was with their pay and the fact that there are too many.

I have absolutely nothing against government workers. I just found his comments a tad smug and typical of a lot of what I hear from people employed in government.

The fact is - as proven in surveys done by government - there is no gap between public and private sector pay, and in addition in the last survey many government workers where being paid better than those on equivalent jobs in the private sector - plus with no risk of redundancy, guaranteed pensions and other benefits.

I'm sorry but what I do believe is that we are all paying for this and its totally unsustainable in the current econonic climate and government workers should start appreciating the very comfortable position they are all in.

Archived