Douglas The Dump

bishbashbosh

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Gateway-to-...-Man.5644783.jp

Glad to see some attention focusing on this - the Square and expensive but abandonned water feature is a disgrace. Not just the state it's in but the money spent on it in the first place. Although I am confused - who owns it?!

Certainly the Sea Terminal area is not the best welcome for vistors by Ferry - I remember cringing when welcoming two freinds to the Island for the first time with Lord Street being their first sight...and that was when it was dark at 6am! Just wasteland car parks and never-to-be-developed development sites.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
could be worse,

have u seen haysham!!!!

HEYSHAM

Heysham is not the arrival point for the Isle of Man, It's a passenger terminal to bring you to the Isle of Man, unfortunately the arrival to the Isle of Man is just as bad!!! I have worked and lived all over Europe and this has to be the worst arrival view anywhere!!! (apart from prague :) - good airport horrendous drive into city

Instead of spending money trying to do up Douglas, why not instead simply issue all visitors on arrival with a virtual reality headset?

Visitors would then see the Douglas that the politicians see, where everything is wonderful, planning is a dream, thousands of smiling locals and DTL visitors roam the streets, there are plenty of things to entertain everyone, and there are marvellous pubs where you can get a decent selection of beer and don't have to wipe your feet when you come out. Everyone has a job, no one is puking or fighting or beating up strangers on the prom, and all the potholes on the prom have dissapeared.

With a simple 'smellavision' helmet attachment to the nose, people could also avoid the smell of decaying seaweed on the beach or the Iris vent at the sea terminal end of the prom etc.

If they rented them out at Heysham and Liverpool, people could even save the £75 to £400 to get here too.

could be worse,

have u seen haysham!!!!

HEYSHAM

Heysham is not the arrival point for the Isle of Man, It's a passenger terminal to bring you to the Isle of Man, unfortunately the arrival to the Isle of Man is just as bad!!! I have worked and lived all over Europe and this has to be the worst arrival view anywhere!!! (apart from prague :) - good airport horrendous drive into city

Liverpool is even worse, at least Heysham is easy (and quick) to drive out of, Liverpool's a maze of one way streets and a run down/boarded up shit hole to boot.

Could be a lot worse..try a trip to Peel....

While the main road into Peel from Douglas is not very nice - through a housing estate - I think the town is looking a lot better recently. Is it Street Heritage or something similar involved with that?

Could be a lot worse..try a trip to Peel....

While the main road into Peel from Douglas is not very nice - through a housing estate - I think the town is looking a lot better recently. Is it Street Heritage or something similar involved with that?

I couldnt agree more, its Ramsey that lets the Island down! :(

Interesting how this all suddenly becomes news just as the government are looking into how the 8m 'town regeneration' money will be spent ...... just guessing, but maybe 99% of it will go on Douglas, just for a change, while villages like PSM and PE (my home towns, so I'm biased) fall into further disrepair, have no facilities whatsoever, and pay the highest rates on the island

The first thing I do if somebody I know is thinking of coming to the Island is to tell them to avoid Douglas at all costs anyway, why would anyone come to the Island and spend time in Douglas, its a dump and has very little apart from a promenade (which is now all 'luxury' appartments') to set it aside from just about any small population town in Britain, if you want to see the Island thats promoted by the tourist board, and the bits that do set the Island apart from many other tourist destinations in Britain, you need to get out of Douglas as quickly as possible !

Archived