Douglas The Dump

bishbashbosh

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could be a lot worse..try a trip to Peel....

While the main road into Peel from Douglas is not very nice - through a housing estate - I think the town is looking a lot better recently. Is it Street Heritage or something similar involved with that?

I couldnt agree more, its Ramsey that lets the Island down! :(

Haven't been to Raaamsey in ages but PE and PSM are run-down and severely neglected.

Could be a lot worse..try a trip to Peel....

While the main road into Peel from Douglas is not very nice - through a housing estate - I think the town is looking a lot better recently. Is it Street Heritage or something similar involved with that?

Haven't been to Raaamsey in ages but PE and PSM are run-down and severely neglected.

Agreed, which makes it all the more annoying that the government bend over backwards to support the IBS (finance) but did absolutely f'all to save the Marine Biological Station which now stands as a slowly crumbling wreck at the end of one of the most scenic spots on the Island (c.f. landfill at the Ayres, out of site of Tynwald - out of mind), beyond the tangible benfits of the Bio station, it brought a steady stream of young people into the Island for the last 100 years many of whom stayed and set up their lives here, the void has been filled by ..... nothing ...... and the building stands empty, could they not have moved some government departments down to PE to use the building, bringing income to the area ?, the answer was no cause it was too far from Douglas, yet the Government promote us at the forefront of the 'Electronic / Digital Revolution', yet they can't run a department from 15 miles away from the centre of Government, its a joke. What will happen to the Bio station (and the 100 years of history it represents) it will collapse or be knocked down and I suspect nothing will replace it, very very sad, and totally demonstrative of the governments policy on towns / villages outside of Douglas, i.e. they don't give a f**k, I'm pretty sure that will be supported by how the 8m gets distributed, they'll use the argument that most of the population is in Douglas (given thats where all the work is) therefore the investment must be spent where the people are, but what of the rest of the Island are they just going to let it slowly fade into obscurity ?

As an aside, I was reading an 'Enquire Within' book about the Island from 1930, was stunned to read that there were over 2 million journeys taken on the horse trams that year - not related to the above comments - but I found that pretty amazing !

I understand that Tynwald are finalising a plan to deal with the question of places outside Douglas being run down.

Once approved, Douglas will be walled off and renamed Mega City Douglas.

The rest of the Island will be allowed to crumble into a dusty waste land and will be renamed the Cursed Manx Earth.

Implementing this will release substantial funds which otherwise would be wasted on other places and make them available to be wasted on Mega City Douglas.

A second major income stream will then be generated by selling licences to the rest of the world to dump toxic chemical and radioactive waste in the Cursed Manx Earth.

I understand that Tynwald are finalising a plan to deal with the question of places outside Douglas being run down.

The rest of the Island will be allowed to crumble into a dusty waste land and will be renamed the Cursed Manx Earth.

Implementing this will release substantial funds which otherwise would be wasted on other places and make them available to be wasted on Mega City Douglas.

A second major income stream will then be generated by selling licences to the rest of the world to dump toxic chemical and radioactive waste in the Cursed Manx Earth.

Ah, following the american governments policy on indigenous peoples reservations ;-)

I'd hardly say that out of the entire Island Ramsey is letting the place down

Yes it's not the jewel of the country and it could be improved if there was some investment in the place but have you seen Port St Mary or Port Erin high streets lately? they are terrible compared to Ramsey.

Money needs to be moved away from Douglas to all the towns

I'd hardly say that out of the entire Island Ramsey is letting the place down

Yes it's not the jewel of the country and it could be improved if there was some investment in the place but have you seen Port St Mary or Port Erin high streets lately? they are terrible compared to Ramsey.

Ok....As well as!

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Gateway-to-...-Man.5644783.jp

Glad to see some attention focusing on this - the Square and expensive but abandonned water feature is a disgrace. Not just the state it's in but the money spent on it in the first place. Although I am confused - who owns it?!

Certainly the Sea Terminal area is not the best welcome for vistors by Ferry - I remember cringing when welcoming two freinds to the Island for the first time with Lord Street being their first sight...and that was when it was dark at 6am! Just wasteland car parks and never-to-be-developed development sites.

At last they have agreed that the 'town square' is a disaster.

The land is owned by AXA who are in the process of selling it for development.

A few years ago I saw some plans for the bus station site. It showed a new library for Douglas and sheltered housing among other things.

Presumably the architects got paid for drawing up those plans that were never used.

Liverpool is even worse, at least Heysham is easy (and quick) to drive out of, Liverpool's a maze of one way streets and a run down/boarded up shit hole to boot.

You are joking? You drive off the boat, go to the end of the road and turn left or right, that is it.....Last week we came back some crazy A road way, I had to stop and ask a cyclist if I was on the right road (ofc I was) even that was ok. The roads are quite big and scary in England though.

You have no sense of history! The Douglas-Onchan area will be referred to as 'The Pale' (or Pháil) whose inhabitants will be able to happily ignore everything beyond its boundaries.

You have no sense of history! The Douglas-Onchan area will be referred to as 'The Pale' (or Pháil) whose inhabitants will be able to happily ignore everything beyond its boundaries.

or An Pháil Shasanach, which I believe was fully under the control of the English government of the time.

That'll go down well in certain quarters.

just change your name to "I hate Ramsey" roo and save everyone the hassle of reading your posts

Where the fook did i say "i hate Ramsey" you silly silly man?

I am disgusted with the way my home town has been allowed crumble and lose all its attractions over the years and my opinions of the town do not come from hate of the town itself but for the people who have let it get this way, people like you who sit on their fat bleedin arses and do nothing for our town!

Let me ask you Rhumsaa where the hell were you when we were all on the streets trying to"Save our hospital"? No doubt on you fat arse in a pub somewhere!

Am i not allowed to have an opinion and every time i post are you going to be a twat to me for no reason??

If so this is fine but do not be suprised if i come back at you ten times more aggressive than you!

Why dont you save us both the trouble like a good lad, chill out and have yourself a pint of Guinness!!! ;)

Archived