Douglas The Dump

bishbashbosh

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't your friends try a self catering cottage or stay on a farm, there are dozens around the Ramsey area and it will work out much cheeper and give them more freedom than any hotel would. and if you are expecting all those facilities from a three star hotel your friends are dreaming i am afraid.

The fact that important buildings such as the marine research building in Port Erin, and the pier in Ramsey have been allowed to fall into disrepair is one of the things that annoys me most about the government of the island. With a bit of imagination and investment, both could be transformed into important visitor attractions. God knows Ramsey needs it.

I would forget about visitors. They have gone elsewhere.

What we need are decent facilities for local people of all ages - community centres and small parks etc etc

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Gateway-to-...-Man.5644783.jp

Glad to see some attention focusing on this - the Square and expensive but abandonned water feature is a disgrace. Not just the state it's in but the money spent on it in the first place. Although I am confused - who owns it?!

Certainly the Sea Terminal area is not the best welcome for vistors by Ferry - I remember cringing when welcoming two freinds to the Island for the first time with Lord Street being their first sight...and that was when it was dark at 6am! Just wasteland car parks and never-to-be-developed development sites.

I never found that area to be an eyesore. It's functional to say the least. I liked the art deco architecture of Royalty House. The bus station is close to the Sea Terminal which is handy enough. I think one of the worst parts of Douglas is Central Promenade with the Carousel cafe closed down and two closed hotels fit only for (police) dogs. With the exception of the Spar, the shops in front of the Glen Mona Hotel really do need a good scrub up.

I liked Peel quite a lot, especially the promenade and the seaside cafe across the road from the sailing club, not forgetting the narrow streets. It's a nice place to visit on a sunny day.

I never found that area to be an eyesore. It's functional to say the least. I liked the art deco architecture of Royalty House. The bus station is close to the Sea Terminal which is handy enough. I think one of the worst parts of Douglas is Central Promenade with the Carousel cafe closed down and two closed hotels fit only for (police) dogs. With the exception of the Spar, the shops in front of the Glen Mona Hotel really do need a good scrub up.

I liked Peel quite a lot, especially the promenade and the seaside cafe across the road from the sailing club, not forgetting the narrow streets. It's a nice place to visit on a sunny day.

a nice post langweilig? now you are just being confusing.

Why don't your friends try a self catering cottage or stay on a farm, there are dozens around the Ramsey area and it will work out much cheeper and give them more freedom than any hotel would. and if you are expecting all those facilities from a three star hotel your friends are dreaming i am afraid.

clearly the wonderful cottages that are available around the north of the Island are lacking in balconies and gym facilities

the bastards

Instead of spending money trying to do up Douglas, why not instead simply issue all visitors on arrival with a virtual reality headset?

Visitors would then see the Douglas that the politicians see, where everything is wonderful, planning is a dream, thousands of smiling locals and DTL visitors roam the streets, there are plenty of things to entertain everyone, and there are marvellous pubs where you can get a decent selection of beer and don't have to wipe your feet when you come out. Everyone has a job, no one is puking or fighting or beating up strangers on the prom, and all the potholes on the prom have dissapeared.

With a simple 'smellavision' helmet attachment to the nose, people could also avoid the smell of decaying seaweed on the beach or the Iris vent at the sea terminal end of the prom etc.

If they rented them out at Heysham and Liverpool, people could even save the £75 to £400 to get here too.

How's about a big sign or arrival - Douglas has moved to SecondLife and we'll tart it up there!

They do not have a time machine that i know of but feel free to advise me on the whereabouts of such item just in case its needed in December! :)

The 2 hotels you are thinking of, do either of them have a gym and swimming pool/Room with a balcony /Serve A la carte in the Restaurant and room service upstairs?

My friends like to stay in 3/4 star hotels as they unfortunately (their words) cant afford the 5 star hotels. They have not had a holiday/break for nearly 5 years so this Christmas they are wanting to push the boat out with (sort of) no expense spared.

They do not wish to stay in a guest house or public inn for that reason.

It would be great if they could stay in Ramsey or anywhere in the North but i have not managed to find anywhere that suits them yet, fingers crossed you can be of help.

This begs the question, why on earth are they coming to the Isle of Man?

If they've not had a holiday for nearly 5 years, Why not go somewhere thats cheaper and you can stay in a 5 star hotel, cheaper than any 4 star on the IOM......

Archived