Customer Service In Iom

tiptop

Call me un-patriotic, but I'd rather save money and buy off the net than get ripped off and suffer rubbish customer service, especially as times are hard.

'The Customer is King'

'The Customer is always right'

T'internet is causing local shops to close though. Not through rubbish service but simply on price. Chatting to bloke in pub the other day. He used to run the local fishing tackle shop in St Neots Cambs. His sales dropped off so he folded the business. His shop was always busy though. Unfortunately it was busy with folks going through the displays and noting model numbers etc etc. After a couple of hours they would leave without buying anything and he would never see them again - except by the river with their shiny new kit bought online, courtesy of his shop window...

I ordered a new fishing rod from the local shop yesterday in fact. Once the postage was taken into account t'internet price was only a couple of quid cheaper. A few quid to get personal service and then have someone to shout at if it all goes wrong - no contest.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we're going to generalise, I think you typically get shit customer service from young staff, and good customer service from older staff. One rather ridiculous example: I went to the Terrace chippy recently and was completely ignored by the sulky teenage girls there and eventually an already-busy bloke in his thirties or forties had to come and ask me what I wanted, while the lazy bitches stood around examining each other's acne.

They're teenagers there because no self-respecting person will do the work. They get paid fuck all, they work unsocial hours, they have acne, the public treat them like shit. Give them a break.

I think it is a bit pointless making comparisons. I find the Pakistani cornershop near me has such a variation in the customer service it offers me. Sometimes they are very friendly and sometimes (especially when it is the guy who speaks little English) they are not. The newsagents next to my work have brilliant customer service - always saying hello and asking how I am when I go in, but the butty shop next door is very poor. Manchester Arndale tends to have poor service but th Trafford Centre is completely different, etc... Different stores, different people. Unless the Island's workers are completely obnoxious and downright rude I don't think it worth making a comparison.

Well put. When you consider all the bollocks thats on application forms asking how well you are with people, it really does show how much people lie to get these jobs. :P
But it ridiculous to expect people to fill in large applications forms for a customer service assistant role that pays around £5.50-£6.

Nor do I, I think some of the questions asked on basic high street application forms (along with the retarded interview questions) are a waste of their time, since as I stated above, people lie though their teeth to get these jobs, its only though actually employing people that they'll ever know how they are at the job and with people.

Another thing that really fucks me off is when they want experience. Why not try giving people a job so they can GET experience you arseholes? Its a vicious cycle.

Why do you think that? Wouldn't seem to matter who is on it, it is a crap compensation for work done.

£3 an hour and a silly bonus or a more guarenteed basic and not having the reliance on a stupid bonus.

Saying that my company pays me and my wife the minimum wage. The tax free dividends are lovely though.

I went to Paradise & Gell in Peel last Wednesday. The guy was friendly and helpful, and didn't try to flog us the most expensive thing. Both the items we wanted were actually in stock and didn't need to be ordered. They were delevered that same afternoon at half past 3 - literally 3 hours after we'd been in the shop. There was no extra charge for delivery either. Great service, and reasonable price.

I really dont think generalising about service from someone 16 or 64 is very accurate, i have been served by all ages as have all of us and to be quite honest they can be polite, helpful, flirty, charming, friendly, nice, mean, bad tempered, uninterested just like all of us.

Its nothing to do with money its to do with job satisfaction and your life in general, yes the money can be crap but if you like your work then how you treat others is is reflected in that, as i have said before i was a waitress for many years a job which i loved (and it showed) its not rocket science, the hours were unsociable and the money was awful but i was happy to serve the (paying) public, and again if you dont want to be nice to people, or you cant handle a stroppy customer then maybe a career with animals is just the job! :)

Thargoid Gold mentioned camera prices earlier.

I was manager of a camera shop over 12 years ago. I could not buy cameras from a wholesaler at the prices that were advertised in mags like Practical Photography.

We only needed a dozen at the most to sit on our shelves at upto a 10% profit. Cameras soon were last years model and became obsolete, remaining on the shelf for ever.

I learnt that D & P was the way to make money and we were the best, taking in work from the other labs in Douglas when they broke down.

Digital was getting popular so I got out of the trade

A local shop will find it very difficult to offer you internet prices

Thargoid Gold mentioned camera prices earlier.

I was manager of a camera shop over 12 years ago. I could not buy cameras from a wholesaler at the prices that were advertised in mags like Practical Photography.

We only needed a dozen at the most to sit on our shelves at upto a 10% profit. Cameras soon were last years model and became obsolete, remaining on the shelf for ever.

I learnt that D & P was the way to make money and we were the best, taking in work from the other labs in Douglas when they broke down.

Digital was getting popular so I got out of the trade

A local shop will find it very difficult to offer you internet prices

Oh I don't know as one well know electrical shop buys from the internet cheaper than the wholesalers then adds its own markup.

Archived