Customer Service In Iom

tiptop

Here's a local customer service story for you:

We're expecting a delivery from Island Express today; we bought a tumble dryer from Tesco and they're the local couriers. After making enquiries with Tesco they phoned us up this morning to tell us where it was and get us the number of Island Express to check when they were getting it. "We're on our way" we were told at 10:00 this morning, so I cancelled plans so I could make sure someone was at home.

It's almost 18:00 .. and guess what .... we're still waiting! I'm not expecting them tomorrow as it's Sunday ...

It's not that hard to set a customer's expectations and stick to them, or is it?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a local customer service story for you:

We're expecting a delivery from Island Express today; we bought a tumble dryer from Tesco and they're the local couriers. After making enquiries with Tesco they phoned us up this morning to tell us where it was and get us the number of Island Express to check when they were getting it. "We're on our way" we were told at 10:00 this morning, so I cancelled plans so I could make sure someone was at home.

It's almost 18:00 .. and guess what .... we're still waiting! I'm not expecting them tomorrow as it's Sunday ...

It's not that hard to set a customer's expectations and stick to them, or is it?

Don't get me started on couriers on the island..Manx Independant? Jesus,how do these people stay in business? They're useless. Give me the Post Office everytime.

Asked the man behind the counter today in Nobles Park cafe what flavour icecreams he had. He didn't reply directly to me but told his young assistant to tell me. She said "Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and I don't know what that one is."!!!

That's strange. I'm at the Top Lot all the time with my kids, and find the guy there very friendly and helpful.

I suppose we shouldn't take snapshots with these things.

I really wanted a coat I saw in Next however they did not have it in my size, the one on the model in the window was a smaller size so I said "Please may I have that?" - guess what? They wouldn't get it, no problem. Last time I was in Next (2 years ago) the shop assistant was rude beyond belief, I asked her a question and with out turning around to face me said "No", made no attempt to help and carried on shelf stocking or what ever her terribly important job was. Here comes another 2 years of not shopping in Next :) They must be doing well if they do not need to sell their stock.

I really wanted a coat I saw in Next however they did not have it in my size, the one on the model in the window was a smaller size so I said "Please may I have that?" - guess what? They wouldn't get it, no problem. Last time I was in Next (2 years ago) the shop assistant was rude beyond belief, I asked her a question and with out turning around to face me said "No", made no attempt to help and carried on shelf stocking or what ever her terribly important job was. Here comes another 2 years of not shopping in Next :) They must be doing well if they do not need to sell their stock.

Do what I do, I get all my shirts from next so I order online and get them delivered to store so as to avoid delivery charge, then you just walk in, go up to the snotty gits and say give me my delivery now.

If I order anything online I deliberately ask whether the postage will be via DHL. I've had stuff via e-bay where they've used DHL and universally I have found their service absolutely shite. I'd rather not purchase anything than be left wondering whether DHL might actually be bothered delivering it to me some day soon. It must also be the only courier firm going that can't be arsed operating on a Saturday. The entire UK DHL network delivers Saturdays but they can't even be arsed opening up here.

I walked into certain camera store once to buy/haggle for a zoom lense for my DSLR. After talking and 'connecting' with the sales person I asked if they did price comparison.

"Yes" he said

So I pulled out the printed page from Amazon showing the same lense £40 cheaper

"oh, we only do price comparison for local prices"

Well, my PC is pretty local - I turn it on, get on the internet and hey presto - it's at my door ( Free ) in a couple of days time.

He was totally uninterested, and didn't understand at all the concept of bartering either.

Call me un-patriotic, but I'd rather save money and buy off the net than get ripped off and suffer rubbish customer service, especially as times are hard.

'The Customer is King'

'The Customer is always right'

You pay for what you get - instant delivery from the shop - or wait a few days and save a few quid. I've always found a certain camera store (Jessops, in my case) very good on customer service - but then I'm always polite to people who are serving in any shop.

PS: It's spelt 'lens'

I did exactly the same when buying a video camera, and they said the same thing, but when I persisted saying shall I buy it online, or will you sell it to me, they did match the price

Do what I do, I get all my shirts from next so I order online and get them delivered to store so as to avoid delivery charge, then you just walk in, go up to the snotty gits and say give me my delivery now.

Nice one Jim, I shall have my coat and they shall serve it to me...I might even tread in some dog poop before I go into the shop.

• 2 weeks later...

The sour old bat in TK Maxx at the ground floor changing room takes the prize for the most miserable assistant I have ever encountered. Rude beyond belief. Snatched things off me, threw others at me and didn't open her mouth from start to finish, nevermind a please or thank you. On two occasions now so she wasn't just having a bad day! Truly unbelievable, sustained rudeness!

Oh. Dear.

The sour old bat in TK Maxx at the ground floor changing room takes the prize for the most miserable assistant I have ever encountered. Rude beyond belief. Snatched things off me, threw others at me and didn't open her mouth from start to finish, nevermind a please or thank you. On two occasions now so she wasn't just having a bad day! Truly unbelievable, sustained rudeness!

Shocking that anyone might react to you in that way. I'm guessing it was the tantrum, rolling around hitting the floor and shouting 'Mummy, Mummy, me want it' when they didn't have your size, that maybe clinched it for the shopkeep.

...Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Shocking that anyone might react to you in that way. I'm guessing it was the tantrum, rolling around hitting the floor and shouting 'Mummy, Mummy, me want it' when they didn't have your size, that maybe clinched it for the shopkeep.

...Whaaaaaaaaaat?

This doesn't really make any sense...

Also you are detracting from the potential fireworks.

Archived