Bell Caught Out

crumlin

Alan Bell was asked a question in tynwald this morning, Mr Bell can you recall being asked by Mr Watterson on a Manx Radio program of March 04 are you aware that the MEA are trying to borrow more money on top of the £180mill already borrowed. Mr Bell answered no I am not aware, to which Mrs Cannell asked would you like to read the transcript of your interview with Manx Radio which has bee provided by the station. MR BELL WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THAT ONE :D

I would have thought the alarm bells should have been ringing that someone was asking him if, in a specific month and year, he said something.

The layout of the original post is a little confusing though, can someone rewrite it so it's clear who said exactly what?

I have noticed this about Crumlin's posts in general.

So Crumlin, I have a present for you. If you run out I have some more for you, in fact an unlimited supply:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Seeing as you don't ever seem to have any.

The layout of the original post is a little confusing though, can someone rewrite it so it's clear who said exactly what?

I think it goes something like this....

Alan Bell was asked a question in Tynwald this morning.

"Mr Bell can you recall being asked by Mr Watterson on a Manx Radio program of March 04 'are you aware that the MEA are trying to borrow more money on top of the £180mill already borrowed'?".

Mr Bell answered "No, I am not aware", to which Mrs Cannell asked "Would you like to read the transcript of your interview with Manx Radio, which has been provided by the station?"

MR BELL WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THAT ONE

I think it goes something like this....

Alan Bell was asked a question in Tynwald this morning.

"Mr Bell can you recall being asked by Mr Watterson on a Manx Radio program of March 04 'are you aware that the MEA are trying to borrow more money on top of the £180mill already borrowed'?".

Mr Bell answered "No, I am not aware", to which Mrs Cannell asked "Would you like to read the transcript of your interview with Manx Radio, which has been provided by the station?"

MR BELL WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THAT ONE

I'm confused because the answer above doesn't follow the question he was asked in Tynwald. Which of these possible responses to Brenda Cannell's question was it:?

1) was he simply 'not aware'

This is what is suggested but would seem to me to be an answer he would have given to Roger Watterson' question (asking about awareness) rather than any grounds for him to look unhappy to a question from Brenda Cannell asking about recollection

2) did he - when asked in Tynwald - not recall being asked if he was aware by Roger Watterson

3) did he - when asked in Tynwald - deny being asked if he was aware by Roger Watterson

2) and 3) would seem to be the obvious grounds for Brenda Cannell to trip him up on - but as ever the questions and answers posed here make little or no sense

4) or has he since March 2004 said he was aware at that time

Further, Alan Bell's answer to Roger Watterson's question would not have been inaccurate if the 'additional' money had already been borrowed and no funds were sought to be obtained at that time (assuming he was aware of that fact). If that is the case - and I've not got ready access to information relating to the drawdown of the additional funds - what's the big deal about whether he can remember the precise phraseology he used in a radio interview 11 months ago?

It seems Brenda Cannell and crumlin are missing the point if they think the most significant thing is what Alan Bell recollects saying about what he was or was not aware of unless it is clear what is awareness was at the time of his pronouncement.

More importantly isn't the whole point about this that Treasury *wasn't aware* because the MEA didn't have a political representative on its Board and/or because the MEA didn't come to Treasury for approval as it was supposed to have done?

I think I'll be waiting for Hansard to make up my mind on this one. That assumes Brenda Cannell was asking the right questions and not just trying to score a cheap shot.

On a slightly related point, how long ago was it that Arch-Special Houghton was holding up the MEA as a paragon of virtue compared to Manx Gas?

I'm confused because the answer above doesn't follow the question he was asked in Tynwald. Which of these possible responses to Brenda Cannell's question was it:?

That's how I read it too. Very confusing, and I suspect inaccurate.

This question was raised during question time in the House, Many questions were asked of Mr Bell, most were about why the Government did not look at the MEAs accounts each year.

Mrs Cannell and others in the house wanted to know why did the allarm bills not ring out when Mr Bell was informed by Rodger Watterson that the MEA are trying to borrow more money on top of the £180 mill already borrowed, Mr Bell said he did not remember being asked this by Mr Watterson.

Something as important as this should of been investigated at that time, even if it was a rumour. I dont think Manx Radio would of allowed Mr Watterson to ask this question unless it had proof, and we all know now it is the truth.

Yep Wilddog there was. The last one cost £38,000!!!!!!!!!

What a bash that must have been. At least I am now happy that the 50% increase in electric charges is being used to keep the workers happy. I would really like to know the ins and outs of the Christmas Party if anybody can remember as the alcohol must have been available intravenously.

Forgot to mention they had two in one year the other costing £24,000. Bit of a bargain that one.

Archived