The Dogs Home

Addie

Hope I haven't missed an exisiting thread on this.

But, an article on the Dogs Home has brought some sweet memories back for me.

Some scary faces in the gallery, Peter warning one of them off for pestering me. He didn't miss a thing. He was an excellent landlord.

I remember a fairly rough woman standing at the bar, pushing in and demanding a pint of beer. "You got a problem with ladies drinking beer in here?", she asked.

"Not at all", he replied, "Ladies don't drink beer".

Ouch!

I was a fan of the "Dogs" it went down the pan a bit after Peter MacAleer left so we all decamped to the Grosvenor on Athol St

I think the land was sold to British Land Securities for abot 4mil, bear in mind it was the entire H&B site

During the 1992 recession the government bought the still undeveloped site back at a discount (strange but true) then did whatever deal with Marksies including the public road that was Drumgold St

I think the land was sold to British Land Securities for abot 4mil, bear in mind it was the entire H&B site

During the 1992 recession the government bought the still undeveloped site back at a discount (strange but true) then did whatever deal with Marksies including the public road that was Drumgold St

Ah, thanks for that cheeky boy.

So, it looks like the brewery owners would have sold the public road as part of the site. That makes a huge difference of course.

I am sure the Government would have had top legal and on the face of it impartial advice on the purchase of a piece of land with a public road and right of way running through it.

One for our resident lawyers here, but when does a public right of way cease to become a public right of way......

I think the Govt is still involved with the site as the car park and lifts are under Dolge but administered by Marksies like the Shoprite car park block.

So many paths and rights of way in the market street area have gone in my time, these were the really old paths coming off the cliff path that stretched from the railway station and up to the Arches at Victoria road.

Archived